Logging FTD time as part of total time.

RagMan

Looking for some clarification here. Earlier this year my instrument instructor mentioned to me (which I'm guessing was probably passed down from someone else) that we were able to log our Flight Training Device time as part of our total time. I've researched around the FARs under flight time, flight training device, and simulator time, but haven't found any key evidence as to whether it's legal or not. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Looking for some closure. Would like references if available. Thanks.

• Like 1

Yeah Saun, me too.

But seriously, FTD time can be credited to the required IFR total training requirements if it is an approved FTD. Total time in your logbook should only reflect flight time. If you apply for a job and you are asked for your total time, nobody cares about FTD time. Although you can log whatever you like. It is your logbook and if you want to have a column for total time including FTD, go ahaed, do so.

I have a column for IFR dual given, and also two seperate columns for X/C < 25NM and > 25NM

If you are looking how much FTD time can be credited towards your training it depends on a couple of things. What certificate or rating, 141 or 61, is the FTD approved and in case of 141 part of your schools TCO.

Your Chief Instructor should be able to discuss that with you in detail. Generally speaking for 61 IFR in can be up to 20hrs IFR(50%), in VFR programs it is a lot less.

Have a nice day

If you apply for a job and you are asked for your total time, nobody cares about FTD time.

Why did you crush my dreams. :(

I believe the more advanced simulators can be logged as flight time though.

Why did you crush my dreams. :(

I believe the more advanced simulators can be logged as flight time though.

I'm not sure about higher level simulators, but since you can get complete type ratings it might be the case that it actually can be logged as flight time.

But then, how much cost an hour in a S92 simulator? Sure more then an hour R22 or R44.

I regularly train in advanced full motion simulators. I don't include that time in my total time in my logbooks, although I do log it. I include no simulatorr or FTD time in any totals in my log, except the "simulator" column. It's not reflected by category or class, instrument, PIC, SIC, Dual Received, or Total Time. It's just simulator time, and doesn't count for anything, other than recency of experience and in some cases, training toward a certificate or rating.

I never include simulator time in a job application or on an insurance form, unless specifically asked about simulator time.

A simulator is not an aircraft. Time spent in a simulator is not flight time. Don't log it as such.

For the purposes of recency, and currency, some levels of simulators will suffice. The FAA considers for the purposes of use, level "D" simulators to be the exact duplicate of the aircraft for all operations. No one else does though.

The FAA considers for the purposes of use, level "D" simulators to be the exact duplicate of the aircraft for all operations. No one else does though.

Level C simulators, also, but this is irrelevant; simulator time is not flight time.

As for "anyone else" viewing the simulator as duplicating the aircraft, you'll find that much of the industry views the sim as such a realistic representation that all training is one in a simulator. Of course they're realistic, and of course they represent the aircraft. This is why one can be fully type rated in the aircraft without every having actually flown the aircraft.

Realism aside, it's not flight time, and shouldn't be logged as such.