A/C options for corporate opperations.

Roondog

Some of you might hate me for what I'm about to post, but in all seriousness, any advice, opinions and experience would be greatly appreciated.

It appears that I will be going to work for a company, in sales. Upon learning that I am a pilot, they have offered to pay for all additional training with a contract that states that I would become thier pilot.

If/when this happens, I will be charged with all responsibilities from purchasing/ leasing an A/C, to daily and mission operations and all else involved. Here in lies my dilema. I never in a million years expected this to happen, and at this point, had not considered a career as a coprporate pilot. Therefore, I have little if no knowledge about what this entails. That is the reason that I begin my due diligence here.

I do know what type of A/C I would consider based on the geographical areas that I would be opperating ( B-407, L-4, AS 350B3), securring a place to house the A/C and the service centers that are available. I would like to hear it all, from everyone here that has some insight. One question that I would like answered, is it best to buy or lease based on the needs, of which I'm not sure of at this point? What would the reasonable amount of use need to be to justify purchasing vs leasing? I'm sure I will respond with many more questions. Thank you for your time and input on this matter. J

Edited by Roondog
  • Like 2

You haven't said what the "extra qualifications" would be - is it an upgrade from private to commercial? From singles to twins? Do you have thousands of hours experience that would give the company's executive the peace of mind to sit in the aircraft with you?

Has the company really thought this through, because it sounds like you are worried that you really don't have a clue what to do?

A bit more info, please, so we can give you some reasoned advice.

Cheers,

Eric

Just by the information which you have provided, along with the details of how you presented it, I would say, you are in over your head……

This is not meant as a form of disrespect, but rather, simply pointing out the obvious. Not to mention, if you feel the need to come to VR and ask such questions, places you in a position of overwhelming liability. Sadly, if the company for which employs you is eager to start a corporate flight operation, but yet, seeks out the only (new) employee with a pilot’s license has wrong written all over it. Especially, if you were not hired for that specific task in the first place…..

While this may seem like an opportunity to the extent of a blessing, then you’d be wrong. Otherwise, you probably should already have an extensive background in aviation and have the answers to the questions you seek…………..

I suggest you come clean and sell the company on the idea of hiring a consultant with experience in these matters. If so, it could become a win-win proposition for you…. If not, think of the unfortunate consequences you may need to live with your entire life….. Or at minimum, ruin your career…

Corporate America only sees decisions in dollars and cents. Not life and death. Aviation is huge on both….

• Like 3

Thank you both for your replies. I need to emphasize the If/when from my third paragrapgh. My employer has made it clear that he would like to incorporate this into his projected business goals and I communicated to him that I would do my best to gather as much information for him as possible. Yes, he has asked if I would be interested, but he knows that I wouldn't commit to this until qualifed. If he chooses to move faster than I was able to accomodate, I would certainly have him contact others that I know in the industry for a consultation. This isn't something that will be happening anytime soon. He is just anticipating what direction his business may go. Bottom line, I work for this person and I'm the type of employee that is more than willing to go above and beyond to satisfy the needs of the company, hence the reason I'm taking the time here to gather information for him. Thanks again for your replies, I appreciate constructive criticism.

• Like 1

What hour level are you, and what certificates and ratings do you have ? Would you have hour totals the insurance company would require ? They also usually require aircraft specific annual training. I will tell you bluntly if you are low time you should be super shy about carrying passengers. You should be a fair weather flyer, and not attempt higher degree of difficulty operations. Low timers don't know what to be afraid of, and can much more easily get themselves into situations they can't get out of without unwanted results.

I'm an 850 hour commerical pilot. I have a level of knowledge that precedes my employer, thus giving me the opportunity to consult, and expand my functions within the company. Simply put, I hope that this will afford me opportunities to accomadate my career path.

In all honesty, 850 hours is light. Would you consider bringing on a more experienced pilot to at least get you over the hump ? They could be in a consultant role or whatever. Training isn't really your challenge, it's hours and experience.