Saving for Flight School...?

acroav8r

Hello all, I am formerly wannabe87, but couldn't figure out my log in info, so I made a new one.

I am currently driving over-the-road in order to save up for flight school and wanted to see who else is saving for flight school...

Maybe this could be help to anyone trying to figure out how to save for it. My goal is to not have any debt after flight school, I would like to be able to have the option to take whatever job is offered to me without the burden of wondering how to pay back a $1000/month loan.

I guess the question would be... What is everyone out there doing in order to save up the money? Any tips, advice, suggestions? The big thing that I am doing is living very very very cheap haha. I limit myself to a set amount of money per week for food and drinks, and the rest is in savings. It takes some getting used to, but once you start to see your savings build up it becomes a game to try and bring the numbers up as much as you can each week. Secondly(I know this isn't an option for most, but since I drive OTR it was easy for me) I have gotten rid of every bill I had. I have no rent, no car payment, nothing at all(I do have a phone, but that is a must on the road, and it is cheap). I know I am by no means "living a life of luxury", but my hope is to one day fly for a living and still not have any debt.

On another note, if anyone has any questions for me about driving OTR as a means to save money feel free to ask away. It isn't for everyone, but it really is a great way to save money up. Some companies will even sponsor you to get your training. Any questions just ask.

• Like 1

I just finished my first week of CDL training (never thought it would be easier to parallel park a truck than my car :wacko: ). I am wondering, given what truckers make, how long do you think it will take for you to save up enough for flight school?,...and, do you get much home time?

@r22butters

Yea I didnt have much trouble with backing either, kinda enjoyed the challenge. I would make sure you get the 90 degree down real good though, you will use that one everyday. As far as what you make. Thats really going to depend on what company you drive for. My big advice, if you can, stay away from the really big companies out there. Go with a smaller company based near your home. They will get you home more, and it will be a better experience. I've heard a lot of my friends from CDL school say they are only making 4-500 dollars per week, which is crap pay haha. I got lucky to get on with a company that really is just an owner operator company, and only has 30-40 company drivers. I also got lucky that I got a dedicated California run(coast to coast). I am able to get home most weekends for my 34 hours, then head back out. What companies are you looking at driving for? Where are you located if you dont mind me asking? I may be able to tell you a few companies to look at.. Are you wanting dry van, reefer, or flatbed? Good luck with CDL school! Talk to you soon..

I am currently driving over-the-road in order to save up for flight school and wanted to see who else is saving for flight school...

Maybe this could be help to anyone trying to figure out how to save for it. My goal is to not have any debt after flight school, I would like to be able to have the option to take whatever job is offered to me without the burden of wondering how to pay back a $1000/month loan.

I think it's great that you want to do flight school without debt. More power to you. However, let's say that you are really really good and you get all the way toi CFII in only 160 hours or so. If you know people, you could get a part time gig flying some tours and stuff after 300 hours.

So if I were you, I would be asking questions and planning for how to get from 160 to 300 hrs TT.

Well $400/week is still better than most of the CFI's I've met make, of course, as with every job, I'm sure that'll go up eventually? A "dedicated" run does sound nice, but I would rather not drive coast-to-coast (if I can avoid it?). I've heard there is a route up and down California, maybe I'll try for that, but I'd really rather be a "city driver" for UPS, it just seems that "paying-your-dues" means OTR for a couple years first, so...

Anyway, maybe I'll put a bumper sticker on the front of the truck that reads, "Honk if you'd rather be flying a Helicopter!", just in case there are more of us out there?

:)

Hey Matt,

Welcome back. Good to see your keeping busy. I would have to agree with Goldy, although I would think the flight instructing might be where you go after training as most would, but as Goldy stated "160-300hrs", you need to get to 300hrs for most flight schools to allow you to instruct. I would say to keep doing what your doing for now, and then go get your PPL, IR, and Comm (roughly $36-$45K), then find an AG operator and while in flight school working towards the CFi, and CFII, be working on the ground as a loader and truck driver and get some ferry time here and there. You will need to add the tanker and hazmat endoresment to your CDL class A license though. Once you have been on the ground crew as a trucker and loader for 2-3 years your now in a good position to fly for the AG operator and get to where you want to be as a utility pilot. Plus you can make decent money as an AG pilot. Good luck. Give me a call sometime.

Steve

Not too sure about those AG spraying ships. I saw an old model AG huey around christmas time in a maintenance shop that one of my buddies dad owns. The ship had come in for some structural maintenance work on the tail pylon. That aircraft thing was ran down! I mean just filthy, had god knows how much muck on it, pesticide pipes looked like they were welded by some joe blow in town, and the damn thing probably wasn't even in an airworthy condition. My buddy stated that's generally the same shape he's seen any AG ship that's come into their shop. Certainly not the way I'd want to build up my hours, but to each his own!

Hey Matt good to see you back! Id say you are smart for having no debt. I would check out the school I was telling you about last time we talked. I know they are still employing their full time guys as CFI's upon completion. Just talked to their newest CFI, he started training April. I am guessing the program cost is still 50-60K.

Thanks for the replies everyone! Sorry I haven't replied back, haven't had any Internet the last couple days. I am typing this on my iPhone now so bare with me haha.

@goldy: that is very close to one of my biggest fears. My big fear is this, spend 2 years saving all my money, spend one year working on my ratings(pvt-cfii), then....... Not have a job afterwards... I guess if worse came to worse I could try and get the extra money saved together to go through the boatpix thing, but I really would want to be employed by my school of choice.

@yzchopper: great talking with you the other day steve! Always enjoy hearing from you, I will definitely look into some at operations as well.

@ragman: I will keep that in mind as well. I honestly wouldn't mind flying at if it could lead to utility type work. I would maybe just need to keep a close eye on the condition of the aircraft.

@badtransam97: hey Clint, it great to hear from you! That is for sure the school I am leaning towards. Got to visit a while back and really liked everyone there. So what have you been up to?

@r22butters: I honestly don't think I would do his for $400/week haha. If you really search the companies in your area you will find you can double that or more per week. If you want some VERY good money and can relocate check into Guld Spur trucking, or Nabors or any other that hauls for the oil rigs. As far as finding a local job that will usually require some experience, but you can still check around, never know what you will find. I enjoy the coast to coast because I get regular home time, good consistent pay, and get to see a little bit of the country while I do it, but that's just me.

Anyways, thanks for the advice and replies everyone! Keep them coming!