Why do you want to be a military aviator?

Now tell me a little about your career as an apache pilot and how you got started i would love to hear it!

Well, I won't hi-jack the thread for that. I'm just a lowly CW2 on his first combat tour. but I will say this:

"A man who has risked his life knows that careers are worthless and a man who won't risk his career has a worthless life." -Orson Scott Card

Warrant officers tend to understand this.

I want to fly Medevac.

Good choice! There are too many 58 and 64 guys on this board. :P

I grew up assuming I would just work my way through school and then try to score the highest paying office job I was qualified for. After about a year of college I realized how incredibly boring that would be and instead focused on finding the most exciting career. And what could be more exciting than flying helicopters for the military? 9 years later I think it's safe to say that was the best decision of my life.

• Like 2

I want to do it being warrant officer and not a commissioned officer because warrant officers get all the REAL time.

I got most of my military flight time as a commissioned officer. Air Cavalry. The only thing more exciting than flying a recon mission in an OH-58 is leading a platoon of six OH-58's on a recon mission while flying an OH-58.

• Like 2

That's great! the only reason i said real time is because they usually get more hours than commissioned officers. I would just be afraid that if i was commissioned that they would pull me out of the helicopter to do other jobs that arn't around aviation. i want to fly and instruct and thats why i feel that warrant officer would be good for me. It is true that warrant officers get more time than commissioned correct??

The free flight training was a bonus for me. I wanted a job that I thought I would love (I do), and could do with the (lack of) education that I had. I didn't grow up with a background in aviation, or the military for that matter. Never even occurred to me to try and get a job working the line at the one localish airport.

I got into the military through a long, convoluted process... from a Marine Recruiter who got it in my head, to actually being in the DEP for the USAF (which I backed out of due to...a girl), to joining the Guard less than a year later. Went into it as an avionics mechanic, did a deployment as a door gunner, and came back from that getting sent to flight school (with PRK in there pre-deployment). Never really knew if it was going to be possible, based on my eyes, until I was actually told by the flight surgeon that my waiver was approved (I already had everything else done).

Best chain of decisions I've ever made, as far as I'm concerned. My life has completely turned around from my pre-military days. Not that I was at risk for joining a gang, or anything, but it's definitely improved the quality of life that I was working with 8 years ago.

Oh, and there are WAYYYY too many AH/OH guys around here. Geez.

Haha no kidding. Hopefully I'll be heading to my troop this week but we'll see.

Good luck. I spent several years on Bde staff when I was a Captain (asst S3 and S4). After being a Troop commander, it was a major culture shock. Just tell yourself it builds character!

So your a pilot and havn't touched a helicopter in 9 months? why?

Because you're not just a pilot. When I finished flight school I spent the summer in the ALSE course, learning to maintain all the equipment that will keep you alive in an emergency. Because I spent my summer there, I got to the unit too late to deploy with them. They were sending most new warrant officers to the command and control cell, but I got sent to the S2 shop.

Honestly, it has been a great experience. I have learned a lot about security and intelligence, and also about how a Brigade operates. I've done numerous security inspections, learned how to put together clearance packets, seen some cool intel type stuff, sat in on a lot of staff meetings, etc. I also had to do some lame stuff (FLIPL officer), but overall it's been interesting.

And hey, you may have to do the same thing as a warrant officer. Or you might be one of the guys who goes straight into his RL progression. No way to know.

Edited by SBuzzkill
  • Like 1

now can you apply for IP to keep flying and not go into another job?

Generally speaking, you don't apply for tracks as a warrant, and commissioned guys don't track. (They'll go to the courses, but it's not a track). Someone may ask what you want, but as usual, it's the needs of the army over your wants and desires.

For example, I (like everyone else) wanted to be an IP, but my unit needed a TACOPS officer prior to deployment, so that's what I did. As we came back, we had something like 4 or 5 IP course slots. So, they sent 2 non-tracked guys, a previously tracked guy, and... a Major. I wanted to be an IP still, so I found my own way to the course :)

• Like 1