Any low hour non-flight-instruction jobs out there?

Now, I know that this is a silly question to ask, and I know a lot of high time pilots will chuckle or roll their eyes at the topic, but for myself and others beginning to build our hours I'm genuinly curious about what sort of jobs are out there for us lower time guys if we're willing to put in the effort.

Currently with only the knowledge I have second hand from higher time guys it seems like there aren't any jobs outside of a flight school available until you reach 1000 hours. Everything less than that is just flight training. Is that truly the case? I saw a R44 tour job in Florida only wanting 300. What about the tuna boat jobs, what are their hour requirements? Is there anything else or any tour companies that you high time guys who've been out there and around that you know of where a guy can get on with 500 or so hours? Even internationally?

• Like 2

There are plenty of jobs for low-time non-CFIs,...Starbucks, McDonalds, Home Depot,...the list is endless! Why, I myself, am becoming a truck driver.

Either become a CFII, or find another career!

:)

Edited by r22butters
  • Like 1

I currently am a CFII and have a great job with my school. I'm currently approaching 700 hours and wondering if anyone out there with more industry experience may know of more options than the second hand info I get from my old instructors that have moved on.

I understand that there are some tour companies out there where you can get on with less than 1000 hours, and there are some tuna boat jobs and there are some companies that will hire SIC with less than 1000 hours.

I'm only hoping to get some leads and names of specific companies from the experienced pilots that frequent these boards.

I know people who have done minor AG work, drying cherries in a 300. You can enter the AG field as a ground crew member and work your way into a pilot position.

When I used to scour the job board I noticed a few tour companies that operate the R44 and had lower hour requirements.

There are very few of them out there, and most are filled before they ever hit the job boards. That being said, most still require a CFI ticket as having one cuts down the insurance costs considerably. If you don't believe me and you're going to heli-expo, stop by Sutton James' booth and ask the folks that insure us for a living.

Not many people who operate a helicopter will hire a 150 hour guy with a fresh commercial ticket to fly their machine, and that's just how it is.

Edited by ADRidge

Ah',...I see, leaving out some important facts are we? :lol:

Since you're a CFII with 700hrs, you may want to try Air Photo Inc. They usually post around February. Last year I think they still wanted 700hrs (it used to be 400) with a weight less than 180lbs.

That low-hour tour company with the R44 is Old City Helicopters. My advice would be to apply in person!

Good luck, CFII

:rolleyes:

Severe County Choppers in Sevierville, TN does tours with 44's. They also do flight instruction as well but they do have some pilots that are just tour pilots. (or at least they did at one point)

Beautiful part of the country too! No affiliation or experience from the air, but I have been there and it is pretty dang nice. There are lots of other small tour operations all along the main roads too, might be a good place to take a vacation... pack some resumes and a nice outfit.

• Like 1

I currently am a CFII and have a great job with my school. I'm currently approaching 700 hours and wondering if anyone out there with more industry experience may know of more options than the second hand info I get from my old instructors that have moved on.

I understand that there are some tour companies out there where you can get on with less than 1000 hours, and there are some tuna boat jobs and there are some companies that will hire SIC with less than 1000 hours.

I'm only hoping to get some leads and names of specific companies from the experienced pilots that frequent these boards.

There are plenty of oportunities out there and I think its a great question. Problem is, every one of them that I know of are filled because of who you know. So, you may want to focus on getting to know more people in the biz.

That said, any R44 company that does tours would be worth a look. Many require 300 or 500 hours. Guys stay there for a year or two and move on, leaving an opening.

Cherry drying and citrus protection also have some lower time openings.

There are plenty of oportunities out there and I think its a great question. Problem is, every one of them that I know of are filled because of who you know. So, you may want to focus on getting to know more people in the biz.

Yep, that's it,...the key to success in this industry,...the words that should be in huge, bold type over the door of every flight school!

Sure, there are plenty of low-time guys out there doing non-teaching jobs, and this is how I picture them getting those jobs; I've had a job flying tours in an R44 for a couple of years, and now I've finally fattened my logbook enough to get offered an entry-level turbine job. So, I give my boss my two-weeks notice, and he asks, "Know anyone who could replace you?". I say, "Sure, I know a great guy,...here's his number!".

These jobs are almost never posted on the web, or job boards anywhere, because if they were, the operator would be inundated with thousands of resumes from desperate low-timers (who either don't want to teach, or didn't get hired by the school that trained them).

Personally, I've never met that right person, at the right place, at the right time. I'm not complaining, I'm just pointing out that its really, really, hard to network successfully!

So anyway, I'll go ahead and emphasize it; MAKE AS MANY FRIENDS AS YOU CAN, BECAUSE THAT'S THE REALITY OF HOW YOU FIND WORK AS A PILOT,...i.e. NETWORK!!!

Have a nice day! :)

Edited by r22butters
  • Like 1

As a Chief Pilot who occasionally reads this forum for some light entertainment. I am always amazed at the number of people who say they have 700 hours and are asking people on here that they dont know to get them a job. When I was a CFI I was beating the brush in PERSON making phone calls etc.

I just don't get what people are thinking. I paid my dues, and found a great job and worked my way up from line pilot to Chief Pilot. I can understand that people want jobs, but come one, get with the program and GO find Your own JOB.

• Like 2