SoCal Airspace question

AlbertoP

Newbie question. If I am transition (in a helicopter) East-West along the 91 FWY in Fullerton (KFUL) airspace while talking to ATC and with a distinct squawk code, do I have to worry about (avoid) the Los Alamitos airspace that seems to creep up a bit north of the 91.

Without distinct landmarks (and without GPS) I am afraid if I try to cut the corner from the 91-5 intersection to 91-605 intersection I might interfere with the Fullerton traffic departing runway 24.

Thanks for you replies.

-A

Newbie question. If I am transition (in a helicopter) East-West along the 91 FWY in Fullerton (KFUL) airspace while talking to ATC and with a distinct squawk code, do I have to worry about (avoid) the Los Alamitos airspace that seems to creep up a bit north of the 91.

Without distinct landmarks (and without GPS) I am afraid if I try to cut the corner from the 91-5 intersection to 91-605 intersection I might interfere with the Fullerton traffic departing runway 24.

Thanks for you replies.

-A

If you were talking with Fullerton you were OK. Both Fullerton and Los Alamitos have been comfortable with that as long as you remain along Hwy 91 and don’t stray too far south. However, don’t forget you’re directly responsible for and the final authority as to the operation of that aircraft (91.3a). At the time of that transition it was your duty to ask, if you were unsure of your responsibilities under FAR 91.129.

These understandings, unwritten agreements, SOP’s, LOA’s, etc. between towers sometimes go unpublished. Less these conditions you could be in violation.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply.

I actually stayed quite a bit north to avoid the Los Alamitos. I think almost too much. FUL tower had to advise me about a fixed wing departing runway 24 and approaching from low and behind. By the time I saw the traffic, it was a bit too close for my comfort. Which made me think that maybe I shouldn't have worried that much about the Los Alamitos.

After I got back I called the tower to see if I can find what their preference is. The controller tried to accommodate me but he was very busy. I could hear him over the phone directing 4-5 aircraft. Couldn't really get an answer from him. Though he did say Disneyland TFR shouldn't be a problem if I have a Squawk code and am talking to the ATC and stay just north of the 91.

If you are talking to Fullerton and you stay on the north side of the 91 going west bound, you don't have to change to Los Al at all... Remember, anytime you fly the fwys you always fly the same side you'd drive as a general rule of thumb... once you are in FUL airspace, you should have Long Beach in the window and get on with them prior to reaching 605/91 interchange.. But always be ready with switching to Los Al if directed...

Most towers are good at communicating with other towers if you are just going to brush up against another airspace. IF the tower you are on with is too busy they'll hand you off...

Yes , that's a good idea. Just have Los Al on standby. If they handoff I am already. Flying and managing radios and transponder is a skill I am still learning.

Also go get a new TAC chart. Remember the helicopter (low altitude) frequency along the 91 and south is no longer 123.025....you may not have known that.

Here is a link for all of the changes that went into effect Jan 1.

http://www.scauwg.org/presentations/laxTACed64vs63.pdf