What went wrong here...?

swisster

This is a clip I came across on Swiss National TV. Don't worry about the language, the helicopter will tell the story at 20 seconds into the clip.

The guy jumping off makes me laugh.

http://www.videoport...4c-3d9e46bce12a

Looks like he had way to much right pedal in as he raised collective to take off. Maybe something was obstructing the left pedal as he tried to correct. It's difficult to know though, not being able to understand what they were saying. The reason I'm thinking pedal obstruction is that he took off afterwards without incident. If their was some unknown reason for the spin, no pilot would attempt a takeoff after that. Personally, I would shut down and check everything anyway, because even though the Astar will take a decent pounding, there's no knowing what damage you could do while spinning and bouncing around the ramp like that. I'd be checking for possible damage(wrinkling) around the root of the tail especially. Maybe he did, but it's not portrayed like that in the video.

The tail on the Astar is wickedly efficient, once you're in the flight gate it'll spin itself even with the collective full down if you're not careful with the pedals.

Jumping out was probably the most dangerous thing that pac could have done. But I guess he didn't know any better.

• Like 1

My guess, they were completing pre-flight before pick-up. Right seat pilot was leaned across the center of the cockpit and a foot or feet slipped off and caused some inadvertant right pedal. I also agree that getting out was not a good idea. It's diffucult to out run an out of control heli, and all it's parts.

• Like 1