Chances of getting selected WOFT with technical degree

If you're wondering whether a technical degree gives you an advantage over someone with a nontechnical degree, I don't think so. It will give you a big advantage over someone with no degree though and the overall selection rate has been pretty high lately. Score well everywhere else and get some good LORs and your chances will be good.

hey guys. i figured this might be the right place to ask. i am currently a junior/senior in college and i'm set up to begin my ppl-h after i graduate. I plan on submitting my woft packet after completing my degree and ppl . I was wondering if there were any math courses that i should take that could help me when i'm completing my ppl, and, IF i were to get selected, that would help in flight training for the army. the highest level math course i have taken was college algebra. thanks in advance!

Don't worry about the math too much, I'd doesn't get too deep. Someone else could chime in on the weight and balance of cargo/utility calculations, but my w&b and fuel burn is done by the air craft. You get issued an E6B for fuel burn and I alvays had a calculator in case I had a dumb moment.

Personally I wouldn't spend the money on a heli ppl because you can get a commercial license after flight school for $140. If you plan on going WOFT and are competitive enought to get picked up than you will be doubling your effort. Just my .02

• 3 weeks later...

Visited a WOCS graduation on 29 Feb 12. Asked a few questions on their selection criteria for the WOFT program.

90% were college graduates for the street to seat applicants

Over 50% had some flight time

LORs and high PT score extremely important. (CW3-CW5 or Maj and above)

Peace dividend is in full effect. Competition will only be more competitive for this FY year anyway.

• Like 1

90% were college grads? I dont think it was quite that high for us. I am not a college grad, but I have a bunch of hours with a decent (3.0) GPA. My LORs were insane, I had a bunch of flight time, and an OK pt score.

Hell, I really wish I could PT better.

• 5 weeks later...

For the hijacker, yea you really don't need to spend the money on that ppl. If you're decent you should get picked up without it, and if that doesn't happen, then go and get that license. As said above, your chances are pretty good as a civilian anyway.