Is the industry still in really bad shape?

It's strange seeing from the high time pilots statements that the helicopter industry is sinking. I'm certainly not disagreeing or calling anyone a liar because I certainly don't have even close to the first hand experience in the field that these guys do and I'm not even going to pretend to know even a fraction of what they do. I'm a CFI working toward those magical first 1000 hours still, but I see all of my instructors, and their friends from various flight schools all entering the industry with minimal trouble. Some have went to PHI now that they've lowered their hour requirements to 1000PIC, Rotorcraft leasing and some have gone to Papillion and even Maverick. It also seems like every month there are 4-5 new openings for EMS pilots at only 2000 total time.

I just don't understand how the high time guys are saying that it's all in the toilet when I see tons of jobs posting, everyone moving on to good paying jobs right at their thousand and companies lowering their hour requirements. Is there something that nobody's telling me? Is there something that I don't know about?

I've been looking at job postings for a very long time now, and I haven't noticed them going down, in fact I'd say they're still higher than the were five years ago. Air Photo Inc. should be posting soon, we'll see if they're still at 700hrs (they were 400hrs five years ago)?,...but who knows?

As for "...it's all in the toilet...", have these high-timers been a little more specific in what they mean by that? Do they see companies going out of business,...or downsizing?,...or perhaps are they complaining about the quality of the next generation of pilots?

:huh:

I was told by a PHI line pilot that although some sites list them at 1,000 hours minimum, That their web page states 1,500 hours min. This was confirmed telephonically by Eugene Resweber head of HR.

I've never seen them actually state that "it's in the toilet", but I have seen potential students come onto these forums and they talk them out of becoming a pilot because the job market is so grim. As well as in random forums when the economy comes up there are no shortage of high time guys saying that the helicopter industry is very poor right now. So I'm just curious if they really think it's bad still or if they belive that it's coming back. Like I said in my first post, I'm not arguing or pretending that I know more about anything than anyone else, I'm just curious if these guys who know the industry better than I do still believe that the heli industry is bad or if it's coming back based on the few things that I've seen.