135 Experience Qualifications

ADRidge

A buddy and I were talking after Heli-Expo today and we got to discussing Part 135 PIC qualifications. 135.243 b(2) states: "Has had at least 500 hours of flight time as a pilot, including at least 100 hours of cross-country flight time, at least 25 hours of which were at night...."

After that we both checked FAR 1.1 for a definition of "pilot" and found nothing. The next best thing was a definition of Pilot In Command. The question is... what constitiutes "as a pilot"? Can you count time logged as a student pilot, etc?

Right now my google-fu is weak, and we're both looking for decisions by the FAA that clarify this ruling. Any help would be greatly appreciated to clear up this nerd war we're having.

A buddy and I were talking after Heli-Expo today and we got to discussing Part 135 PIC qualifications. 135.243 b(2) states: "Has had at least 500 hours of flight time as a pilot, including at least 100 hours of cross-country flight time, at least 25 hours of which were at night...."

The question is... what constitiutes "as a pilot"? Can you count time logged as a student pilot, etc?

61.1 Applicability and definitions.

(15) Pilot time means that time in which a person—

(i) Serves as a required pilot flight crewmember;

(ii) Receives training from an authorized instructor in an aircraft, flight simulator, or flight training device; or

(iii) Gives training as an authorized instructor in an aircraft, flight simulator, or flight training device.

Edited by iChris
  • Like 1

My question, is since it doesn't state category or class, would a rotorcraft pilot who lacks in their night cross country be able to purchase fixed wing night cross country training? Seems to me it would be a cheaper alternative to go buy some cessna instruction to get to pt135 requirements.

My question, is since it doesn't state category or class, would a rotorcraft pilot who lacks in their night cross country be able to purchase fixed wing night cross country training?

Seems to me it would be a cheaper alternative to go buy some cessna instruction to get to pt135 requirements.

That’s correct. That’s all FAR 135.243 b. requires. Yes, it would be cheaper to do as much as possible in an airplane.

However, that’s just the base requirement. Before you ever take-on your first Part 135 flight you still must pass some additional requirements in the helicopter. Take a look below, at the additional training and testing you may need to complete:

Edited by iChris
  • Like 1