Another bad day

500E

Went with our AP to do a survey, the 300 was suposedily ready to fly. AP was doing a detailed inspection as I started walk round, he was looking at head.

I was checking & found 2\3 issues then got to TR bell crank 3\8 inch play WTF!!

Said to AP this is a heap of **** his reply was "NO SPLIT PINS IN BLADE BOLTS EITHER"

We came home.

• Like 1

pardon me for my ignorance, but what does AP stand for?

Any day that you don't fly is not a very good day, but if it is for good reasons, then I guess it is a great day! This decision, not to fly, probably saved your lifes, so that makes it an awesome day!

That also demonstrates the importance of preflighting your aircraft, every single time, even when it is "ready to fly".

• Like 2

Actually I think it's us Americans that don't know the real names for stuff, English has been around in the UK for a lot longer than it has here. ;)

sure, but when English was around in the UK (without being in the States), helicopters weren't, so there wasn't really a need to have to name "helicopter stuff" (such as split pins vs. cotter keys)... That happened when/after helicopters were invented, and I think that most of that took place here.

disclaimer: I don't want to be a bum, just to keep the conversation going (I am neither an American, nor a British...)

pardon me for my ignorance, but what does AP stand for?

Any day that you don't fly is not a very good day, but if it is for good reasons, then I guess it is a great day! This decision, not to fly, probably saved your lifes, so that makes it an awesome day!

That also demonstrates the importance of preflighting your aircraft, every single time, even when it is "ready to fly".

Attack Points.... Fallout 3 >.<

In the UK a cotter pin is used to hold the pedal linkage on to the bottom bracket shaft on a bicycle,

It is a pin that is round with a thread usually smaller than pin diameter on one, with a flat taper on about 1\3 of dia. tightening nut pulls the taper down the hole on outer part to mate with flat on the inner so locking the 2 parts together,

http://www.amazon.co...m/dp/B000WY8FOM

A split pin is what it says a pin that is split so you can fold the legs to stop it falling out.

I should have said Standard cotter pin to be totally correct, an R pin, a bow tie pin,

are other types of cotter pins

Split pins were about long before helicopters, as an aside I have been about nearly as long as helicopters :D

jim_222 your post #2

That was the point of post