OML Selection

The worst thing the Army did was over gross a Bell 206 and take it to war as a temporary fix to a long term issue. Thats you 58 jokers :P Chinooks can fly fast and high...unless there is icing...WTF? You cant fly in icing in that giant ass airplane? Good job Boeing. Apaches, hangar ornaments, flying in tandem...period. Of course you wanna fly this sexy, Igor built, genius, first flying built to war helicopter ever. Plus, our huevos are huge. :D

The worst thing the Army did was

Sorry the 58 guys didn't catch the rest of that, they're too busy flying.

With a Mission Capable rate of over 85%, the highest in the Army's deployed fleet, OH-58D lives up to its well-earned reputation as the "go to" helicopter for Army operations. The mission capable rate is a critical component of a scout helicopter's role in supporting ground troops and performing its armed reconnaissance, command and control, targeting and defensive combat missions. Further setting the standard of Army aviation, since 2003 each Kiowa Warrior is averaging more than 76 flight hours a month, achieving another distinction of having the highest operational tempo (OPTEMPO) in Army Aviation's combat rotary wing fleet.

http://rotor.com/Publications/RotorNewssupregsup/tabid/177/newsid1237/74736/mid/1237/Default.aspx

LoL

Chinooks can fly fast and high...unless there is icing...WTF? You cant fly in icing in that giant ass airplane? Good job Boeing.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a hawk guy and love what I do, but....where'd you hear this gem?

I was intrigued about the possibility, so sent an email off, quoting the applicable part of your post (i.e. what I quoted above).

Reply I received:

Yes, as with all aircraft, the Chinook can fly in icing. How long is up to the pilot, torque/power available, and damage one is willing to incur.

The Chinook is certified to fly in light icing conditions (in Chapter 5 and 8 of the Dash 10). Biggest concern is asymmetrical shedding of ice causing rotor system imbalance and possible damage to the fuselage when ice strikes it.

I have found myself in unforecast moderate icing at night that obscured forward visibility when I picked up a ½ inch of clear ice years ago. Vibration didn’t bother us all that much. It was the approach and landing at minimums flying sideways that was the tough thing. I had to open to side window and slip it left to see the runway…

We have no deice capability on the blades, but pilots windows are heated which usually keeps them clear.

And it’s not Boeing’s fault – they built the aircraft according to the contract. We got what we asked and paid for…[/Quote]

Sorry the 58 guys didn't catch the rest of that, they're too busy flying.

http://rotor.com/Pub...37/Default.aspx

LoL

HAHA! Good one.Just as long as you dont have to carry any weight or fly above 50'agl. You're like the little birds cousin that nobody wants to fly. Kind of like the Apache is the stepson that works okay until you have a real gunship like the DAP. Just sayin.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a hawk guy and love what I do, but....where'd you hear this gem?

I was intrigued about the possibility, so sent an email off, quoting the applicable part of your post (i.e. what I quoted above).

Reply I received:

Like I said. They dont fly in icing. Bad communication between Boeing and DA...whatever, point is that someone built a big ass helicopter that you cant fly in icing conditions. Fail.

Good thing I cant carry weight since I spend 3 minutes filling out a PPC card, my aircraft (even at Rucker) performs my fuel checks for me (havent touched an E6B since BWS), and it takes me about 5 minutes to go from strapping in to a hover power check (per the checklist, line by line, nothing skipped or rushed).

B)

Edited by akscott60

I read that they are currently rolling the uh-60m into active use, do any of those ever drop at Rucker or do they only transition active 60 guys into them?

Sure they drop. My class had four or five Mike slots, and about 13 A/L.

Good thing I cant carry weight since I spend 3 minutes filling out a PPC card, my aircraft (even at Rucker) performs my fuel checks for me (havent touched an E6B since BWS), and it takes me about 5 minutes to go from strapping in to a hover power check (per the checklist, line by line, nothing skipped or rushed).

B)

So cool! My crew dogs do my fuel check, I have a PPC done in about 60 seconds and printed out 30 seconds after that. Most of that planning would be done prior anyways. Under proper conditions I can start dual engine. Might take a little longer under some circumstances but...whats the rush when you can fly faster that 50 knots.. :D Where you headed after Rucker?

Edited by NorCalHeliKid

I am headed to 6-17 Cav. Currently they are in AK, but are moving to Lewis (which is awesome).

And I just saw that I was enrolled in ALSE school, so I get another 5 weeks in Rucker land.

Edited by akscott60

I read that they are currently rolling the uh-60m into active use, do any of those ever drop at Rucker or do they only transition active 60 guys into them?

It's an entire fs xxi company devoted to a/l and m qual. Students go through the same a/l course (contact, bcs, instrument), up until night phase, where it differs. They then go to the m model and basically redo contact, learning to fly the m, and on to nights/nvg. Traditional a/l guys go to nights after instruments. Full a/l qual comes from getting three instrument days in sim done as night unaided...

All comers: active duty, as well as guard who's states send them through m model.

Keeps about 10 students per class (small sections with only 5-6 ips per section, including the section leader who doesn't generally fly).

I am headed to 6-17 Cav. Currently they are in AK, but are moving to Lewis (which is awesome).

I see Blackhawks flying up into the mountains here in AK everyday. Flying here would be freaking amazing. I'm so jealous every time I see them. Huge mountains, every variation of weather condition, long nights half the year, hard to imagine much better experience many other places.

• 4 weeks later...

One PT test, the day or two before selection.

BOLC apparantly counts for a little of your OML points.

My advice:

Get a 100% in academics

Get a 300 on your APFT

The rest will fall into place

And I just saw that I was enrolled in ALSE school, so I get another 5 weeks in Rucker land.

Nice, I wanted AK but wifey says no way no how. Not doing that. So Im stuck here at FCKY. Lewis is super nice too, but the unique experience of AK would be awesome

• Like 1