Durant's book

I own it. I read it perhaps a year and a half ago, maybe it is time for a reread (currently reading "The Dream Machine: The Untold History of the Notorious V-22"). Anyway, Durant's book was great. Anytime we can be taken inside the cockpit of a live mission is enlightening and makes me want this just that much more. Have you read his other book, "In the Company of Heroes," about Mogadishu?

Chicken hawk by Rober Mason, good story and a top read for any rotor head.

There's a bunch of Army Aviator memoirs from Vietnam. Some others are:

To The Limit | Tom A. Johnson (one of my favorites!)

Dustoff | Michael J. Novosel (A LEGEND, also a favorite. Just reread this one last month.)

Firebirds | Chuck Carlock

Low Level Hell | Hugh Mills

Rattler One-Seven | Chuck Gross

There are more, but those are the ones that stand out in my mind.

Further, every helicopter pilot who has at least their PPL rating must read Fatal Traps for Helicopter Pilots by Greg Whyte. The $10 you spend on this book could save your life and the lives of your crew, someday.

• Like 1

currently reading "The Dream Machine: The Untold History of the Notorious V-22"

Good book. I read this a couple years ago because we had an Air Force V-22 unit move onto our ramp in Kandahar. My impression up to that point was based on the news stories that came out during their testing talking about how it was overbudget and unsafe. I still hate the politics that drove its creation but now that it exists I can't deny it's an impressive machine.

Good book. I read this a couple years ago because we had an Air Force V-22 unit move onto our ramp in Kandahar. My impression up to that point was based on the news stories that came out during their testing talking about how it was overbudget and unsafe. I still hate the politics that drove its creation but now that it exists I can't deny it's an impressive machine.

Exactly. I have a deep distrust of it because of the high-profile crashes and that in my mind it seems like it was rushed into service before all of the flaws were worked out. However, I'm reading this with an open mind. Perhaps Mr. Whittle can change my opinion of the aircraft. At any rate, the history of it's creation is so far quite intriguing.