FITS Methodology Discussed/Compared

Mikemv

Some friends and peers have told me to discuss the modern flight training reforms and where/how this is happening.

Warning, this will be a long post and not meant to sell/convince anyone about anything. I will try to explain some issues and perceived approaches to accident reduction.

The industry is in agreement that a large percentage of accidents have causal factors that stem from poor or no decision making. If we accept this (proven by National Transportation Safety Board statistics) it makes sense to address Aeronautical Decision Making (ADM) and Risk Management (RM) with training in these areas.

Currently in 4 stage 141 curriculums, one hour of ground instruction is given in ADM in prep for the check ride. It does not make sense to me to continue this limited ADM training at a late stage of Certification and expect accident reduction.

The FAA Industry Training Standards (FITS) SBT Methodology addresses the development of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS)=ADM, RM and Judgment in conjunction with Maneuvers Training (MT).

Let me state that it is not necessary to change MT to apply the benefits of the FITS Methodology.

Scenario Based Training (SBT) is a term that has been a part of the aviation industry for awhile now. I ask what the "B" means in MBT or SBT. Of course it is "Based". The way Scenarios have been used in MBT (current and long time training methods) is to interject Scenarios at some phase of training, usually in the Commercial curriculums where a pilot had some flying skills and now could handle the addition of scenarios. Is this "SBT"? No, it is Scenario Interjection Training (SIT). Remember what the "B' stands for in MBT and SBT?

I wish FITS had found a better word in the Methodology name than SBT because experienced pilots, CFIs, flight school operators all refer to Scenario Based training with the thought of applying Scenario Interjection Training.

In the verbal barrage I have received in replies to FITS SBT, the uneducated have made statements like: a pilot needs to learn to fly before they can use Scenario Based Training. They really meant Scenario Interjection Training!

Others said it was reinventing the wheel and that MBT was good enough for all the previously trained pilots. I think of it as fixing the broken spokes of a wheel (lack of ADM and RM). Would any of us argue for corded to the wall phones? They worked fine, why reinvent the phone wheel?

Others said FITS SBT was just another FAA program with confusing alphabets or acronyms. Does any CFI not know what ADM, RM, SA, LCG mean? Any CFI/CFII that obtained a Certificate since 2008 should as that is the rev. date on the Aviation Instructors Handbook where all of the common FITS acronyms were mentioned in detail.

OK, moving on to the elements in each of the three FITS SBT Concepts.

FITS calls Concept 1- Scenario Based Training (SBT). The elements are Situational Awareness, "In Command" concept, Aeronautical Decision Making, Risk Management and Risk mitigation.

Concept 2- Learner Centered Grading (LCG) The elements are a Pre-brief, performance grading (both Maneuvers and Management/Decision Making[sRM]), and a pilot self assessment/collaborative debrief.

Concept 3-Single pilot Resource Management (SRM) The elements in this concept are now in the IFR/CFII PTS along with a Judgment Matrix for Examiners to use. They are Aeronautical Decision Making, Risk Management, Task Management, Information Management, Automation Management, Flight Management, Situational Awareness, Controlled Flight Into Terrain (CFIT). [think old corded phones to modern mobile devices]

These Single pilot Resource Management elements will be in all Practical Test Standards (PTS) as of the next revision/reprint!

They hit the Instrument Flight Rules PTS in March, 16, 2010 and many Certificated Flight Instructors Instruments (CFII), Designated Pilot Examiners (DPE)s and Aviation Safety Inspectors (ASI)s are still not aware of this!

Back to perceived problems with FITS SBT. Some say a new Pilot in Training (PT) can not develop these concepts/elements ab initio! My FITS Facilitator training shows just how easy it is to start developing Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) from flight one. (Of course not all at once and not all in one flight but it builds the habit of being In Command, deciding, etc.)

The link to the main FAA Industry Training Standards web site is http://www.faa.gov/t.../training/fits/

All of the University Studies, documentation, initial feelings, solutions, final reports along with Syllabi for Airplanes at every Certificate level are there.

I read for 8 months prior to deciding to try to move this forward for accident reduction through training reform/modernization as a FAASTeam Representative and Old Fart helo pilot.

Most of our industry's main entities are moving forward with training reforms/suggestions in this direction. It is the future training Methodology and employers are onboard already because of the Safety Management System (SMS) and Safety Culture Development push.

Take from this post what you may but please understand the difference between Scenario Interjection Training and Scenario Based Training. Corded phones or Mobile Devices?

The world is changing daily, flight training should modernize for our pilots and industry's benefit.

This is a lot of info and I will not try to educate everyone via responses to posting here. Go to the FITS web site.

Sincerely,

Mike

Edited with terms spelled out for clarity after guidance by Apiaguy and C of G. Thank you both!

Edited by Mikemv

Not too long ago I attended a Wings Seminar on Single Pilot Resource Management (sorry acronyms give me a headache) and I couldn't help but wonder the same thought that comes to mind as I read more on all this;

Is all this just an attempt to teach new pilots to develope and use what we used to call Common Sense?

:huh:

Am I getting closer? I'm sure you're tired of reading the responses of someone who "still doesn't get it", but in all honesty,...I am a slow learner!

:)

Edited by r22butters

It would be helpful if you spelled out all of your acronyms and stopped using the acronym in any serious discussion. You threw out so many with little to no explanation as to what they are. Your post even says FITS metholody discussed... but no where do you explain what FITS is.

I think it would be helpful for newbies and oldies.

It would be helpful if you spelled out all of your acronyms and stopped using the acronym in any serious discussion. You threw out so many with little to no explanation as to what they are. Your post even says FITS metholody discussed... but no where do you explain what FITS is.

I think it would be helpful for newbies and oldies.

The link to the main FITS web site is http://www.faa.gov/t.../training/fits/

(snip)

This is a lot of info and I will not try to educate everyone via responses to posting here. Go to the FITS web site.

FAA Industry training standards

I do believe that's the only one he didn't spell out. I also believe acronyms do have a place, when used properly, and I think he did a pretty good job. The same few were used over and over again (likely with good reason).

A different Mike

Apiaguy, thanks for your response. I did go back and spell out a lot of things as you suggested. I was trying to drive readers to the FITS web site if they were interested or unaware of what FITS is. I do spell out everything in text messages! Did I need to spell out CFI/CFII, DPE, ASI, etc? I guess these "spelling out rules", "no Acronyms" are to be used industry wide in FAA publications, magazines, Etc?

r22butters, I apologize if I gave you a headache. Take two aspirins and read the entire FITS website in the morning.

I also offer the FIRC/Wings Power Point presentation "An Intro to FITS SBT Methodology"in the Pilot Pool thread via e-mail, mikefranz@embarqmail.com This is still available to all. About 12 people have received that PP presentation when requested.

Mike

The purpose of an acronym is to shorten reader and listener comprehension time by using a term that most are familiar with. When your audience is not -- or may not be -- familiar with an acronym, its use will slow and inhibit comprehension.

Even if we know what "SM" is, there is no gain in slowing down the listeners' comprehension when we are forcesd to translate the acronym.

http://www.federalnewsradio.com/?nid=31&sid=2185880

I feel the same. I've been an instructor since before 2008 so while I recognize some, I don't recognize all. Additionally, if some members of your audience are saying its distracting to them, they certainly speak for more too timid to raise their voices. In the world of instruction this barrier is well known and it works against effective communication.

CofG

I totaly agree with you on that, another pet hate is people who read their powerpoint presentations to you.

SMS = short message service, strategic management society, Safety Management System, just to start.

First of all kudos to you for trying to make helicopter aviation safer.

In regards to "reinventing the wheel" and other like comments. The bottom line is when asked about it you get all defensive. The FAA link isn't really all that great.

Thanks for taking the time to differentiate between SIT and SBT. I guess I'm just an uneducated moron though cause I still don't see the difference, but again talking about scenarios on the ground and going out and flying them was part of meeting the requirements of Part 61 where I trained.

Rogue, can I send you the PP FIRC/Wings presentation? E-mail me if you want it. I will gladly answer any questions for you via e-mail to help you understand concepts, elements, application, etc.

Mike