2013 budget includes getting rid of Coast Guard Helicopters...Really?

Why is President Obama such a Military hater?!

His 2013 budget includes eliminating Coast Guard Air Station Muskegon (Michigan) and reducing Coast Guard Air Station Traverse City (Michigan) by two helicopters.

I wonder if he would ever consider doing this to his home town Coast Guard (small) station. Actually he wouldn't, instead 3 million dollars was spent to renovate the small station in Chicago when he was an acting politician in Illinois.

And then he goes off apologizing to the world again for the burning of the Koran in Afghanistan, yet the full story reveals that the terrorists themselves had already disrespected the Koran by writing in it and sending notes which is strictly forbidden (writing in the Koran). The books were burned in the interest of National Security, not to disrespect the religion. Is al qaeda or the taliban going to apologize to the Muslim world for their terrorists disrespecting the Koran for writing in it? Of course not!

I have the up most respect for the office of the President, but it becomes difficult to respect the man/women who holds that office when he/she holds the military at such low regard, goes around the world apologizing for the greatest Military and Country on earth, and proposes to substantially decrease the Military budget.

Bringing this back to the helicopter world, if the President is willing to slowly get rid of military budgets and Coast Guard Air Stations and helicopters, who say's he won't stop there? State, County, City aviation assets...

http://www.upnorthlive.com/news/story.aspx?id=725815#.T1ETHFGRJks

• Like 1

(shrug) so what?

Cuts are going to have to be made to get our finances in order, everyone is going to feel the pinch one way or another.

I disagree. The purpose of a budget is to prioritize spending. Not spread spending increases or cuts across the board.

Azhigher,

I disagree with you obviously.

The terrorists at Guantanamo Bay aren't feeling the "pinch". They just got a brand new $750,000 soccer field. Lets also not forget that President Obama just snuck in $111 billion dollars to his healthcare plan.

Your assessment that cuts are going to have to be made and everyone is going to feel the pinch are accurate, but this administration has no idea what reasonable and responsible cuts mean. They are draining the military and the United States of it's military assets while they fill their pockets and fund their healthcare program and soccer stadium for terrorists.

Like I said before, if He's willing to do it to our military, how far would He and his admin go that would affect the private or state level helicopter assets? I know it's a "far-out" thought, but so is government regulated healthcare and soccer fields for terrorists!

This seems to a pretty blatant political discussion. No moderation to be found, so I'll direct you.

www.netfriction.com

I have to disagree with you, as one function of the government provides a number of outlets for our industry. So anything budget related especially as it affects helicopter related budget line items, should be a topic for discussion on a forum such as this. Completely appropriate in my mind.

I won't disagree too much. But when we start talking about Quran burning, how a base closure is a "hatred of the military" and soccer fields in Guantanamo(?), the thread will go south almost immediately. See above (and this post). If you want to talk about helicopters, talk about helicopters. If you want to talk politics, I say go elsewhere.

Edited by helonorth

We can only cover so much area. I'm afraid Michigan is a few fuel stops away so don't blame me. I won't be surprised, though, when I get the call from ops "We have a mission..."

But it could be an insight into what the future of SAR operations in the United States may become. Possibly a privatized industry in the future?

But it could be an insight into what the future of SAR operations in the United States may become. Possibly a privatized industry in the future?

As usual you are way ahead of the curve. I like where your head is at. I feel that there is a distinct lack of privatized SAR coverage in the Melbourne, FL area. I know just the crew to cover the job. Well, half the crew at least...

• Like 1

While we're at it lets screw the military by raising Tricare 300% over the next few years, and reduce retirement benefits. Oh wait, guess I'm a little late on that one. The military is not the place to make budgets cuts. Unneed programs are where to make the cuts.

Retirement hasn't changed. They try to do that crap every five years it seems like. Tricare benefits are pretty much on the "meh" side because it's pretty cheap as it is... The military has some fat to trim, not a lot if we want to sustain the current optempo and not get ourselves killed in training and combat. Don't believe everything you read on the internetz.

As usual you are way ahead of the curve. I like where your head is at. I feel that there is a distinct lack of privatized SAR coverage in the Melbourne, FL area. I know just the crew to cover the job. Well, half the crew at least...

I'd be interested in the GLS ship if I thought I had a chance.

The adjustment of CG aviation assets at Traverse City has been an insider CG rumor for the last several years. Removing H65's (& allocating them elsewhere) and replacing them with H-60's actually makes sense...-60's have longer range, greater cabin space, and are more suited to the winter conditions of the Great Lakes area.

So...wouldn't give Obama the credit nor blame on this one.

Its all about sending a budget that nobody in there right mind would vote for in the House and Senate. The last budget the House and Senate voted for and send back to the President to sign into law was the 2007 budget, George W. Bushes last budget. They don't want any of there names attached to any of his insane spending. Its as simple as that. Right you are going to not have helicopters in the Coast Guard Service, I have a bridge to sell.

• 4 weeks later...

The allocation of air assets is more complex than it is presented in the OP's post. How many ops flown per base, is the base needed, can another base cover the area with current assets, which Coast Guard stations have highest priority for spending, are these aircraft being moved somewhere else??? etc etc. There are lots of things to consider and maybe you did research this topic thoroughly but it doesn't come across in the post. It seems more like a rant accusing Obama of something I'm sure he had very little to do with

• Like 2

It's funny how nothing is owebuma's fault. Harry Truman used to have a sign on his desk in the oval office that says "The Buck Stops Here". That would make sense since the President is in charge of running the country, the budget, and the Armed Services. It's amazing how lightweight occupiers of the White House want to shirk responsibilities. The problem is, he begged the American people for the job, now he has it, suck it up and do the job, or quit. Don't whine about it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The adjustment of CG aviation assets at Traverse City has been an insider CG rumor for the last several years. Removing H65's (& allocating them elsewhere) and replacing them with H-60's actually makes sense...-60's have longer range, greater cabin space, and are more suited to the winter conditions of the Great Lakes area.

So...wouldn't give Obama the credit nor blame on this one.

I agree. I was on 60s in Kodiak (wanted 65s, hubby is on them). And AirSta Muskegon is a deployment site, correct? Like Chareston, SC and Cordova, AK? I haven't been active duty for a few years, and haven't been to the east coast since my airman program in Atlantic City in 2004. :)

Let's try to keep this helo related. I am pretty sure Obama wasn't the one that cut helicopters out of the budget. He probably imposed budget cuts but how those cuts get applied is usually up to people closer to the groundfloor. Someone in the coast guard obviously decided that their air assets at that station were something they would need to live without. I'm no fan of our current CnC, but you can't pin ALL the blame on him. Let's try and keep it balanced.