MD500e First Engine Start after Restoration

Correct me if I'm wrong but the mainshaft goes to the main gearbox which drives the main rotor and the belt coming off of the main drive shaft goes to the tail drive shaft to operates the tailrotor gearbox and tailrotor.

Steve

Richard-

That is a SICK panel (more accurately, panels). Looking forward to catching up with you sometime with Goldy. Wanna make a trip over the hills to KPOC or CNO?

-WATCH FOR THE PATTERNS, WATCH FOR THE WIRES-

Correct me if I'm wrong but the mainshaft goes to the main gearbox which drives the main rotor and the belt coming off of the main drive shaft goes to the tail drive shaft to operates the tailrotor gearbox and tailrotor.

Steve

That makes sense. Thanks for the reply.

No one seems to want to pick up on my "Nomar" comment ?

Steve

The belt coming off of the main drive shaft, drives the Oil Cooler Blower. The tail rotor drive shaft is driven from the aft end of the main rotor gear box.

MD500DriveTrain.jpg

Edited by iChris

Chris, Thanks for the correction. Always good to get the correct information. That's why I come here to this site. Always learn something new everyday, and to think I have almost 60hrs in the 500E and 530FF models. Again thanks.

Steve

GREAT HJ looks great, First flight getting closer :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Were they doing tail rotor balance at same time, did they check head balance before blades on? have found a few that are out.

Picks up real quick with no blades.

aeroscout

Had that belt break 18 months ago a bump noise in the back temps started to climb put it down in a field, pulled trim & inner cover, remnant of belt was wrapped around cooler pulley, about had 200 hours on it.

iChris

Had any problems with laminated shims on input shaft? seen 2 recently 1 machine required new pulley & shaft, second 1 shim was starting to creep out the stack had shed the 3 top shims, found on annual, luckily it had not broken up & everything tight with no damage to splines or shaft, guard plate still tight.

Not a good design.

Will post some pics when get time

iChris

Had any problems with laminated shims on input shaft? seen 2 recently 1 machine required new pulley & shaft, second 1 shim was starting to creep out the stack had shed the 3 top shims, found on annual, luckily it had not broken up & everything tight with no damage to splines or shaft, guard plate still tight.

Not a good design.

Will post some pics when get time

Haven’t had many problems in that area. The last one I recall, was due to an installation error of the output coupling.

Edited by iChris