For those who don't believe helmet's save lives...

RagMan

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I wear a helmet complete with the HANS device in my non race car '81 Pinto wagon. I know this is not the industry standard, but you can't be too careful.

Geeze..if I drove a pinto I would wear the helmut too, but based on the pinto's history, the nomex might be a good add!

Here in the LA area, there are a couple ENG companies. I know a few ENG pilots that wear helmets. A recent engine failure last year at WHP, ENG pilot was wearing a helmet. I think if you fly everyday for a living, then you should wear a helmet and protect your melon! There are always bird strikes too!

WAY back in the day, a commercial pilot at WHP flying a 22 would wear a helmet and flight suit...DUNNO if Goldy remembers him...at Watson? It looked funny on the guy, but it it could save his life in the event of accident.

R91

Rob- that was back in the 80's and I thought I looked cool!

I own a helmet and I believe in them. But flying tours its a little impractical to wear one! I do bring it along for any commercial stuff or cross countries. Bottom line, the bird can come thru the cockpit at any time and helmets and visors have saved many a helo in a bird strike.

One of my first purchases after my initial flight and knowing that I would be pursuing at least a PPL-H, was an HGU-56P. I hope to that I never put it to the test, same as my motorcycle helmets.

I remember one night flight where a flock of birds passed right under the ship, just flashing past in the beam of the landing lights, scary moment and it firmly imprinted the need to fly with my helmet on and visor down, all the time.

• Like 2

I'll admit to flying about 1 in 20 hours using a headset instead of my 56P. And everytime I wear the headset I'm nonplussed. Yeah, It's a little more comfortable without a helmet; but SO WHAT.

Comfort is for the WEAK, and sacrificing safety for comfort if for the STUPID.

IMHO.

To each their own. I always rode my motorcycle with a helmet. Everyday in Colorado I'd read about a motorcycle fatality and of course no helmet..

Now, even before I step foot in an R22 for training, I already have my helmet and Nomex comming soon! will look funny for sure, but I make a living off my brain :)

Let's look at this from a different angle. Helmet wearing should not be made mandatory by law, but for some wearing a helmet should be illegal. The herd sometimes needs thinning. Getting the right person, and timing will be crucial.