SIC?

EYW-MIA,

Do you qualify for the Post-9/11 GI Bill? If so, you should really consider going to a school that is affiliated with a public university. This way you can get your Associates or Bachelor's degree and get all of the flying paid for. I know you said you have plenty of cash saved up for flight training, but why pay for it when you can use the benefits you've earned.

BTW, I spent some time in Bagram in '08 with the guys I think you are supporting. How is the Plywood Palace? ;)

I have been looking into schools with the GI-Bill but I am not going to limit my self just to those. I have been looking, If i do not use my GI-Bill for flight training do to me picking a school that does not take them, the I will use it to finish up my A&P while I train. Lets say I tour around for the golden flight school and HeliOps wins, well my GI-Bill there is no good but I can use it at the A&P school around the corner. Flight school location is important to me as well as potential job placement.

Im in J-bad now, it is 1000 times better here then the old crapy bhuts.

Just a thought... Depending on the school that you go to, you could assist with the mechanics around the shop during your training and when you are teaching.

By the time you are ready to move, you might have the required time working under a mechanic to just take your practical tests for A&P.

I didn't plan it that way, but I am eligible to get mine now. Just take the three written tests, then there are several companies that have a week or so crash course practical prep.

You could that way get your A&P for about 3k

Yea I know thank you, I can test now but refresher of some of the basics is never bad. I am a flight engineer now but there are things you do not mess around with all the time and going over them again is always good.

• Like 1

Another helicopter company flying out here incase any body is interested is Construction Air. http://www.constructionhelicopters.com/ I have only seen them in one region out here but that does not mean they are not in any other region of afghanistan. I know nothing of the pay or schedule.

• 9 months later...

I have been looking into schools with the GI-Bill but I am not going to limit my self just to those. I have been looking, If i do not use my GI-Bill for flight training do to me picking a school that does not take them, the I will use it to finish up my A&P while I train. Lets say I tour around for the golden flight school and HeliOps wins, well my GI-Bill there is no good but I can use it at the A&P school around the corner. Flight school location is important to me as well as potential job placement.

Im in J-bad now, it is 1000 times better here then the old crapy bhuts.

Not sure what your maintenance background is but if you are eligible for testing "signed off" then the next step is cheap. I used my G.I. Bill for my A&P after being a UH-60 mechanic for 5 years and it only cost about $1950 of which the VA/Gi Bill is reimbursing $1200. I'm not sure that it would be worth while not to use your GI bill to "save for A&P school" because it's not going to cover much unless you are in one of those 2 year programs. As an FE you should have most of the basic knowledge and skill set to not have to sit through 2 years of schooling about basic mechanic fundamentals. Almost everything on the A&P test is geared towards fixed wing and I had little to no trouble getting my A&P in 9 Days from the day i got signed off until temp cert in hand.

Just some food for thought.

• 2 months later...

Croman might be hiring co-pilots for their S-61's for heli logging.

They need people who can legally work in Canada and have an FAA commercial license. If you meet those two requirements, you are eligible Unfortunately, progression to command pilot wont happen, but you'll get your foot in the door.

This is an awesome job for a 200 hour pilot.

http://www.croman.net/2005/index.htm