Flying Videos

Yea, that maneuver was ate up from the ground up. Just thinking about doing a half assed RTT (pitch back turn) in high DA, with armament, and doing it to the LEFT, is fail.

They are lucky they lived, but damn that FEB is going to sting.

• Like 2

Yea, that maneuver was ate up from the ground up. Just thinking about doing a half assed RTT (pitch back turn) in high DA, with armament, and doing it to the LEFT, is fail.

They are lucky they lived, but damn that FEB is going to sting.

Their wings are gone. They will be lucky to remain on duty at all. A prison sentence isn't out of the realm of possibility.

• Like 1

CPG is a fully qualified aviator. Even if he was off the controls he should have said...

"Sir, I dont think we have the power for this maneuver. Or, its too risky... Or, this isn't a good idea..."

• Like 1

Kind of reminds me of the Apache video where the pilot asks the co-pilot as they were flying in between some trees at a very low altitude "think we'll make it?" to which the CPG responds, "nope".

Then they hit the trees.

The video also goes to show how durable that piece of machinery is since both pilots are alive. That tumble at the end looked f*cking scary.

• Like 1

Even the front seater?

I think so, whoever wasn't flying should have been adamantly objecting enough to stop the guy who was flying, maybe even declaring that he is taking control of the helicopter, even if he was junior.

• Like 1

Seems to me it was all staged, but not planned... Video rolling, low flyover... Oops SH@ WE DON'T HAVE THE POWER FOR THIS! Of course by planned i mean the fly over for video ops and not the complete scene (the crash). Something I may have been stupid enough to try when I was 21 but, now that I am 33 I am too mature to even get in the seat. Lesson learned, don't put your dreams off or they will pass you by.

• Like 1

Kiowa gets the most flight time in the sand box, has the highest readiness percentage and certainly looks like it's the most fun. When I'm at Lewis in a few weeks I'm hoping to get a look at them up close when visiting the 4/6 guys.

I kind of want to fly Kiowas now too. More flight time per maintenance hour than Apache's, fly doors off, has guns, and I hear its like driving an old mugen sports car.

Some food for thought.

More Kiowas have been shot down from hostile fire than any other aircraft in the US or ISAF inventory in Iraq and Afghanistan combined. Think about that for a second and tell me you like flying that slow with your doors off again. Not a dig at the Kiowa dudes here but that's the reality.