Intro, Chances for WOFT, Updates

Are you %100 on that Tony? I'll have to talk to my recruiter about it when I go for the Flight Physical at Mcguire AFB in a few days.

I wonder how many of those 177 packets last year, that were selected, had a waiver attached to them...

Are you going for the May or July cutoff? And be aware that even after you get selected they still may be calling old employers or references about the security clearance.

Shooting for the May board, but will probably end up submitting for July, depending on whether or not I can get a moral waiver(s).

The only thing I'm worried about is my legal infractions. I could "forget" to mention them and risk fraudulent enlistment, but I'd rather do it the right way if its possible.

What do you think gentleman? (Waits to get scolded)

I would be up front about it, it will look worse if they have to find out for themselves what your record is. I just had one minor traffic ticket, they didn't even seem to give it a second thought. But I can see where you are coming from about not wanting to tell them, everyone makes mistakes.

Just my 0.02

Shooting for the May board, but will probably end up submitting for July, depending on whether or not I can get a moral waiver(s).

The only thing I'm worried about is my legal infractions. I could "forget" to mention them and risk fraudulent enlistment, but I'd rather do it the right way if its possible.

Hasn't the due date for the May board already passed? The USAREC Website says it was on March 15. Or is that one for people who are going for the enlisted board and there is another one for civilians?

Hasn't the due date for the May board already passed? The USAREC Website says it was on March 15. Or is that one for people who are going for the enlisted board and there is another one for civilians?

Yes that is true if we were trying to get boarded in May, we are talking about the deadlines for the packets, and not the actual board date. Example May cutoff for the July board, and the July cutoff for the September board

I think that two-month cutoff is for active duty only. I know my packet was submitted 2.5 weeks before the USAREC board and was good to go. Have heard of other civilians doing similar things without issue as well.

That is really helpful to know, This will make it possible for me to get boarded sooner. Thanks for the heads up.

Sorry, the wording in his first paragraph made me think he was talking about actually getting his paperwork in for the May board. Tony, when you got called about being accepted was it the same day as the board? Ive heard sometimes it is the same day and in other cases it is a few days after.

Nice. Thanks for the info guys. Just completed class 1a flight physical, phew ! Took 8-9 hours to do everything. They analyzed the crap out of my eyes. 20/15 and 20/17 in both. I almost failed the colorblindness test like my father before me by 2 questions, saw the dream almost dissappear!

Time to submit for the waiver and get LOR's while i wait on the flight physical approval from rucker (~4 weeks).

Any advice?

Edit: Spoke with my recruiter, looks like I won't be needing a moral waiver, at least not for my traffic tickets. Maybe he was feeding me cool aid,,but he was saying I could have 100 tickets and not need a waiver, and less than 3-4 misdemeanor charges. I paid a fine for a noise violation, and one for theft of immovable property a few years ago, all charges were dismissed. The background check will find these, so I mine as well be up front with them and hopefully a waiver isn't needed. Thoughts?

• Like 1

Just got a call looks like I have to make the 2 hour drive back there for one more eye test (pressure test). Anyone know what they check for with the blood and urine?

Going to start security clearance process ASAP as well.

...Are you WORRIED about anything in the blood and urine check? I don't mean medically, ("do I have diabetes?"), either.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/army/l/blmedflymenu.htm

Pretty much explains what they're looking for in different parts of your body, and gives the reference for more info. I believe you want to see genitourinary and the blood section, specifically.

From Military.com, "Army Criminal History Waivers, Offenses/Moral Behavior Which Can Be Waived:

Minor Traffic Offenses. Received a civil court conviction or other adverse dispositions for six or more minor traffic offenses where the fine was $250 or more per offense.

Minor Non-Traffic Offenses. Received four or more civil convictions or other adverse dispositions for minor nontraffic offenses.

Misdemeanor Offenses. Those with two, three, or four, civil convictions or other adverse dispositions for what the Army considers to be a misdemeanor offense require a waiver. Waivers are not authorized for individuals with more than four civil convictions or other adverse dispositions for misdemeanor offenses.

Combinations. Received a total of four civil convictions or other adverse dispositions for a combination of minor non traffic and misdemeanor (for example, 1 misdemeanor and 3 minor nontraffic).

Serious Offense. Any conviction or adverse disposition for what the Army considers a felony, requires a waiver. Again, the Army has its own list of what it considers to be a serious offense."

1) Was arrested with years ago for "Underage Consumption of Alcohol," which resulted in ticket of $550.

2) Also arrested for "Unlawful Taking of Property," (parking boot removal) case was dismissed/charges dropped.

3) Have ~14 minor traffic tickets that do not exceed $250 excluding court costs. Haven't got a ticket in 3 years and have since graduated college and secured employment with fortune 500 company.

I don't think I need a waiver, neither does my recruiter, but what do you gentlemen think?

• Like 1

1) Was arrested with 60+ other people in 2007 for "Underage Consumption of Alcohol," which resulted in a civil "Noise Disturbance" ticket of $500. (Fraternity/Rush party got raided)

2) Also arrested in 2009 for "Unlawful Taking of Immovable Property," (parking boot removal) case was dismissed/charges dropped.

3) Have ~14 minor traffic tickets that do not exceed $250 excluding court costs. Haven't got a ticket in 3 years and have since graduated college and secured employment with fortune 500 company.

I don't think I need a waiver, neither does my recruiter, but what do you gentlemen think?

uhhhh.....

Nothing against you but this doesn't pass the smell test.

14 tickets? what were they parking tickets or?

Lmao.. Why would I lie?

I ordered my abstract so ill find out the exact number of violations. Half of them i never got pulled over for (Ie. Someone called in my plates). Mostly minor moving violations and a couple parking tickets. I can't work for Enterprise Rent-A-Car but i can fly an Apache for the Army, go figure.

I ordered my abstract so ill find out the exact number of violations. Half of them i never got pulled over for (Ie. Someone called in my plates). Mostly minor moving violations and a couple parking tickets. I can't work for Enterprise Rent-A-Car but i can fly an Apache for the Army, go figure.

If I was looking at your package and saw this type of stuff this is how I would interpret it.

You consistently disobeyed the law. Not just once but multiple times. Then you laugh it off as it's no big deal. That not only shows willingness to break laws but it also shows the lack of maturity to understand that you messed up. Parking tickets I can understand, moving violations and speeding just show a lack of SA. It's not really one or two that matters - it's multiple. The fact that you have to get an abstract to find out how many is also - funny - but concerning. Aviation and especially military aviation is filled with regulations, procedures, techniques, and limits that we all have to abide. For good reason too.

I've had #1 before (actually twice...that exact situation too...years ago) but I was able to show that I messed up and learned from my mistakes along with a couple character references and I was good to go. I wouldn't take stuff like this lightly because it can (and has for other people) came back and bitten people in the butt.

...and no you can't fly an Apache. People who say stuff like that get my goat. No offense. I was also under the impression that Army OCS was under a no waiver policy. Not sure if it applies for WOFT candidates.

• Like 1

UnitedWeStand11,

I have been a lurker on here for a year or two (since I started the WOFT process and got accepted last year) and have rarely felt the need to post…. until now.

I am not one to imply you shouldn’t try…nor one to tell you don’t have a chance…but some comments posted as of late by you really beg to be discussed. WOFT to me is a culmination of achievements and hard work while on active duty during the past eight years. The packet wasn’t the accomplishment, it was the overall substance contained in the packet. Too often I feel like some might feel if “I turn in a packet/package, I have a good chance of getting accepted” (not you specifically). While statistics as of late might lead many to believe this, most I have met in the pipeline are extremely qualified and deserving of their flight training slot (Undergrad with 3.0 GPA or better, flight certifications, and or an impressive active duty resume).

I was young…I did stupid things, however, I wasn’t a repeat offender. I learned from my mistakes and realized early on that my decisions (no matter how young you are) will come back and haunt you. I don’t care if the violations were for jaywalking…Hotdogs is right…it shows a blatant disregard for rules and regulations. I know…sounds corny…but it will ring true—especially in this aviation climate (30+ WELL QUALIFIED applicants for ANY flight slot in the U.S Military).

So, in closing, what really makes you feel like you are more qualified then those 30+ individuals? I would be hard pressed to believe that they have as many infractions/brushes with law enforcement, and sub-par GPA to boot. Take ALL this in stride…and keep trying…but be careful how you word/phrase stuff in forums/public venues.

And I agree with Hotdogs…you can’t fly an Apache…nor can I.

The recruiting station I went through had a guy selected last fall. He had 10+ tickets and an arrest for riding in a park or some shi*. He was selected after going through tons of hoops for waivers. He also had a very very very high afast score and great letters and other things going for him. He was selected on his second look, but decided he didnt want to fly and declined the slot. OCS is no longer accepting waivers, but I believe woft will still allow them. good luck

My apologies sir, apparently I portrayed myself arrogantly and without remorse for my youthful indiscretions.

I know I messed up, I believe I somewhat mitigated these mistakes with 3 years violation-free driving, graduating college, excelling in sales at big company, volunteering, etc.. If that's not enough for the Army, I'll hopefully enlist and prove myself there.

I understand I will have to abide by many regulations, rules, procedures, and limits.

I do not believe I will need a waiver as per the aforementioned moral waiver guidelines, and as per my recruiter.

I can't fly an Apache? That's interesting, why would you say that?

Finishing up my flight physical tomorrow. 20 more days till July board deadline.