Intro, Chances for WOFT, Updates

AW1985 - I didn't see your post before for some reason. I appreciate you, as well as everyone else, taking the time to contribute to this thread.

That said, I agree there are definitely more qualified and squared away candidates than I. Many of whom have 5+ years active duty experience as well as 3.0+ Undergrad GPA's in Aeronautics, are rated pilots, know senator's, etc... Certainly they deserve a slot much more than I for many reasons.

Still, I will continue to try and do whatever it takes to get selected. If I have to get a Masters in a technical discipline with a 3.5+ GPA I will do that. If I have to enlist and prove myself for 5 years in a unit, I will do that. I am only looking for guidance on this public forum, and again, I apologize if I offended anyone or came off arrogant.

Question: Are you saying I can never fly Apache's because of my legal infractions, but I could possibly fly 58's, 60's, or 47's? I don't understand.

If my chances are nil then of course why would I waste my time, but until USAREC says "NO, GO AWAY!" I am going to forge onward.

Sincerely,

Unitedwestand111

Hotdog's line of reasoning is exactly how I would interpret your history. On flight boards, we are not just looking to see who can get through flight school. You can teach a monkey to fly a helicopter. I want someone who is not going to be a career long PI or untracked PC. In my case specifically, I want someone who is going to make a good MTP. Someone who DOES learn from their mistakes, DOES follow the rules, and someone I DON'T have to constantly wonder if they are skirting the gray area or going into the black area of the rules.

I have seen some pilots darn near kill people doing stupid things. I recently saw a senior CW2 be forced out of the guard for stupid mistakes and lack of judgement. Another is being denied an interstate transfer because he couldn't follow rules regarding fraternization with enlisted. What did they have in common? The same attitude. "I've made a few mistakes, but <insert explanation of why it was not a big deal>"

Don't be that guy.

• Like 1

I was reading some forums saying packets with waivers are generally discarded since there's so many applicants, especially with the current economic recession.

Thats the boat I was in. 8yrs enlisted infantry, dual civilian CFI 2000+hrs, and LE airplane and helicopter pilot. I needed an age waiver to waive 6 months over the max age. The State AO put out a directive that anyone asking for age waivers not to even submit because they would be sent back. But this was for the CA Army Guard. But Ive heard of other states sending people off to school in their early 40s. Good luck. But youll never know if you dont try. When I changed LE agencies for the opportunity to be able to fly, I was told by certain guys in my old Dept that Id be back in a year begging for my job back. That was 8 years ago.

Edited by Flying Pig

Cutoff for July board is May 15th. (90% sure)

Still have a lot to get done in two short weeks, meps physical, APFT retest, security clearance, finish letters, da photo, paperwork, and transcripts.

Can we use copies of transcripts? Or they have to be official?

Thanks again gentleman, this is a very humbling experience overall. Trying to avoid getting discouraged.

Still have a lot to get done in two short weeks, meps physical, APFT retest, security clearance, finish letters, da photo, paperwork, and transcripts.

Thanks again gentleman, this is a very humbling experience overall. Trying to avoid getting discouraged.

I was told they have to be official, shouldn't be to hard to obtain, just give your highschool a call. Have you already went to your security interview? If not I would get that scheduled ASAP. If that is what you were referring to than forget I even mentioned it. You have to remember that this is part of the weeding out process, keep motivated and always try to make your packet stronger. I am shooting for the July cutoff because of my flight physical being scheduled so late, hopefully you can make the May cutoff. Good luck!

Hey man,

If you got some skeletons in your closet, let the DA tell you that you can't do it... Take the advice given here with a grain of salt, and keep working at it. I got in, and I've got a medical condition that was supposed to keep me out of ALL of the services... Hasn't stopped me from doing my job yet...

Update: I found this on Usarec's website, " Moral Waiver - Is required if the applicant has had any legal infraction greater than a $250.00 speeding fine. This includes any negative UCMJ action."

According to this I would need a waiver, maybe two, after all. I have an interview with the security investigator next week, hopefully they will let me know if I can get the clearance or not.

If not, I'm going to enlist with an 11x option 40 or 18x contract. Can always put in for a WOFT slot down the line. Thanks guys.

• Like 1

Interesting. My recruiter pulled up the guidelines for WOFT and it says any fine over 300$ requires an HRC approved moral waiver. He is going to do some more research and let me know if ill require one.

I got into contact with a CW5 at a national guard Aviation unit, he is willing to help me out if i send him my civilian resume, but said I should seek out an Active duty Chief if I am going active.

Looks like I do require an hrc approved moral waiver. My recruiter says its 99.9% percent likely I won't get selected now, and to enlist first. Sucks, but no one to blame but myself. I wonder if he just doesn't want to do the paperwork for the waiver, or it really is a dealbreaker. I will probably enlist and hope to submit a packet asap. Thanks for all your help.

Thanks Tony. Some people on another board suggested If this is what I really want, I need to let the board tell me no, and to ask my recruiter, "Who do I need to talk to in order to get into contact with another recruiter since you're not willing to help me out?" or something along those lines.

Honestly, I would much rather work with a recruiter who wants to help. The next closest one to me is about 1.5hrs, but it's worth it.

Even If I can get this waiver approved, I still have need to locate an Active Duty CW3+ for an interview, which a Reserve CW4 said Is essential for my packet.

This really is a weeding out process, they are trying to make me quit!!

Dude, if you can't even get through the application process without thinking about quitting you're in for some rough times. I have a hard time believing they wont accept you over a $300 fine. If you need a waiver so be it, get one and drive on. If your recruiter doesn't want to work with you on it then find a new recruiter. This stuff is easy compared to what you're looking at doing for the next 8 years. Everyone brings up flight school as if it's the biggest challenge... It's just the first challenge.

Remember, you are going to be a COMBAT aviator.

Edited by SBuzzkill
  • Like 3

Thank you Gentleman, sorry its been a while I've been getting slammed at work. I really appreciate your help/advice as always.

Still pushing to get the packet completed, much to my recruiters dismay. I called another one and he promptly told me I had no shot, and he'd give me a call sometime..I'll keep looking.

Honest Question; Do you think in a few (2-3) years the Army will need pilots more, and one is more likely to get selected? I read the Army is 110% strength for Aviators.

I do want to prove myself to the Army, pay my dues, and enlist as an EOD tech, or Av. Mech, get a Masters Degree with a 3.5+ GPA, 300+ APFT score, maybe a PPL, and excellent LOR's from CW's on base that know me personally. I think I will have a better chance of being selected, but then again I'm just an ignorant civvie so what do I know..

Who knows what the Army will need in a couple years. I honestly dont think they know what they need now. As for being over-strength in Aviators? It all ebbs and flows. The just make getting CW3 harder and boom, less pilots.

Probably not in 2-3 years. Despite whatever rumors you've heard, budget cuts haven't tightened up flight school slots at all. They've remained steady for about the last 5 years. AFAIK there's no plan to reduce that number, and no need to increase it. The only way they'll increase is if we get into a situation similar to the first half of the 00's. Years of thinning out the pilot pool by tougher retention standards and reduced benefits, followed by a new war requiring a surge of pilots.

Thank you Gentlemen.

My recruiter told me his 1st Seargant won't move forward on my packet, and to take it to another station, but I can enlist tomorrow of course. NBDeal

OK, so, I may have found a way to circumvent the recruiter by submitting a "Streamlined Moral Waiver Request" directly to USAREC, giving me a definitive YES or NO answer.

I believe I can do this with my entire packet as well, therefore skipping recruiter/battalion bs and going strait to the source. However, I imagine a battalion would still have to interview me as a formality.

Have you Gents heard anything about this process? Here's the link: http://www.usarec.army.mil/hq/warrant/WO_moral_waiver.shtml

and http://www.usarec.army.mil/hq/warrant/index.shtml for packet submission info.

Lastly, I am still awaiting the results of my Flight Physical, maybe I should call Mother Rucker.

3. And this one may sting a little... Just spoke with an old friend that is currently a recruiting station commander.. the stream line thing is for Soldiers that are applying... not civilian applicants. Probably why no one mentioned it to you.

From another site. I actually had to cross-check to make sure you weren't the same OP as you both came to this idea in the last day.