Intro, Chances for WOFT, Updates

From another site. I actually had to cross-check to make sure you weren't the same OP as you both came to this idea in the last day.

Looks that way to me (Per the quote, not the OP being the same...). I don't see a way for a civilian applicant to get a signature from their commander, ERB, or copies of their NCOERs...

Edited by CharyouTree

Flight physical came back OK.

Cannot find a recruiter/battalion willing to submit my packet with a waiver, because they think I am not competitive. I understand where they are coming from. I would like to try and submit it anyway, but if no one will even let me face a station/battalion level board for approval/denial what can I do?

I guess I could try a different region, but its usually the same everywhere I was told.

Any help would be appreciated. At the worst, at least this thread may help someone else with the process and in getting selected.

Most likely I will enlist and then try again down the line, unless something miraculously changes.

Thanks again Gentlemen.

Thanks sir, Ill try that.

Gentlemen, I was wondering what your opinions are on my enlisted MOS choices, if I can't go street to seat?

I have 1) 15T Helicopter Repairer

2) 89D Explosive Ordnance Disposal

I figure with #1 ill be more able to get an Airframe and Powerplant license, be in close contact with CWO's for LOR's, and maybe even get to fly in the choppers if I make Crew Chief in 1-3 years.

With #2 I'd get to blow stuff up, save some lives, tougher AIT, but probably better career opportunities in case I never get picked up by the Army to fly Helo's and become a civvie again.

Lastly, does the Army care if I get an online MBA or Masters Degree, or should it be from a standard institution? I imagine if the GPA is high it wouldn't matter much.

Stay as close as possible to what you want to do. Having an A&P - assuming you actually get into working on actual engines and not avionics, airframes, ordnance, or other flight line stuff is pretty marketable. It's also not an easy thing to get and does require quite a bit of knowledge and studying. A&Ps are always in demand it seems like. Your contacts you make will have experience getting people into WOFT and may even know people that sit on the boards. EOD while a being a pretty cool job and has the hollywood thing attached to it now, probably wouldn't be in your best interest.

The more education the better but I would stray away from online degrees and for profit colleges altogether. The Army won't care about where it's from as long as it's accredited and the high GPA is just a plus. Getting an MBA just to get an MBA doesn't really serve you much. How many A&P mechs have you met with a masters in business? Get a masters in something you enjoy doing and could see yourself having a career in if this doesn't all work out.

Thank you kind Sir.

I'll try to get 15B - Aircraft Powerplant Repairer, w/ Airborne in my contract. I think I'd enjoy turning wrenches on the birds' engines for a few years.

I hope I get to take a ride every once in a while. "Chief, I need to get some flight time or I'm gonna suck start my M9!" JOKE, that was a JOKE! I am not showing signs of wanting to commit suicide...

Probably the wrong forum to ask these kinds of questions, but going in as an E-4, how long does it take to become a Crew-Chief for a motivated soldier?

If I take SLRP upon enlistment, then do WOFT in 1-2 years, can I keep the student loan repayment and also get the GI BILL for a Masters in Aero-something?? I heard that was a way to get both.

If I enlist first, will I still need a moral waiver for my underage drinking fine?

OH! BTW, anyone thinking about the WOFT process needs to see this thread: https://forums.goarmy.com/thread/18585?start=1845&tstart=0

Thank you.

Careful, I don't believe SLRP is available anymore. Don't have time (or energy) to look it up, but I am about 90% certain it was discontinued a few months ago.

Lastly, does the Army care if I get an online MBA or Masters Degree, or should it be from a standard institution? I imagine if the GPA is high it wouldn't matter much.

Generally, yes, stray away from the for-profit online degrees like U of Phoenix, etc. However, some very accredited and respected institutions now have online options and these are definitely a good option. I am getting my Masters through Embry-Riddle, and there is no way this could happen without doing it online. I am working two, (three soon) jobs, going to the gym, and up until today was doing four flights a week and studying for my flight instructor checkride like it was a full-time job. Well, now it just might be, and I would definitely not have the option to sit in a classroom for X amount of hours a day for a degree. The ability to have a program that is generally self-paced is invaluable for me.

Furthering your education is almost never a BAD thing. It might not help you, but it can never hurt you (unless you count the debt if you take out loans, but that is a personal decision).

Just some food for thought.

Hmm, food. Now off to celebrate checkride with steak and beer.

Careful, I don't believe SLRP is available anymore. Don't have time (or energy) to look it up, but I am about 90% certain it was discontinued a few months ago.

I was looking forward to that too. Ahh... that'd be a bummer if its gone for good.

Don't do that if you want to be near the flight line. Go 15T, 15U, 15S, etc.

Upon doing some research it seems you are correct Sir, I am leaning towards 15T w/ Airborne, hopefully make Crew-Chief ASAP. With the draw-down I wonder if that will be possible to do in a timely fashion.

Generally, yes, stray away from the for-profit online degrees like U of Phoenix, etc. However, some very accredited and respected institutions now have online options and these are definitely a good option. I am getting my Masters through Embry-Riddle, and there is no way this could happen without doing it online. I am working two, (three soon) jobs, going to the gym, and up until today was doing four flights a week and studying for my flight instructor checkride like it was a full-time job. Well, now it just might be, and I would definitely not have the option to sit in a classroom for X amount of hours a day for a degree. The ability to have a program that is generally self-paced is invaluable for me.

Furthering your education is almost never a BAD thing. It might not help you, but it can never hurt you (unless you count the debt if you take out loans, but that is a personal decision).

Just some food for thought.

Hmm, food. Now off to celebrate checkride with steak and beer.

Appreciate it, Embry Riddle seems to be the school of choice these days. Congrats on the checkride.

EDIT: Just found this info on the SLRP. It looks like if you are NPS, and enlist, you can still get it, but I'm not sure.

"091600 December 2011 (EST) USAREC MESSAGE 12-052

To: All Recruiting Personnel

SUBJECT: Regular Army Enlistment Incentives Program Change Effective 12 December

1. This message supersedes USAREC Message 12-012, dated 14 Oct 2011.

SUBJECT: Regular Army Enlistment Incentive Program Change.

12. LOAN REPAYMENT PROGRAM (LRP/Incent OPT 27 and others):

a. The LRP levels are as follows IAW para 16:

1) Available to all MOSs in levels 5 only.

b. Applicants who select the LRP may still qualify for SB, ACASP and/or HGB

if eligible. REQUEST will determine the availability. Applicant may receive the

LRP or ACF but not both.

c. To qualify for the LRP, applicants must be NPS new contracts only with a

Tier 1 education credentials. LRP applicants must decline MGIB or Post 9-11 GI

Bill enrollment on DD Form 2366. The maximum reimbursable loan amount is

$65,000. Loans that qualify for LRP are listed in UM 11-126. The TOS is

dictated by the parent MOS.

d. Applicants selecting the LRP as an enlistment option will be briefed by

the GC IAW AR 601-210, 9-9 (3).

e. LRP is suspended for all NPS OCS/WOFT applicants."

Upon doing some research it seems you are correct Sir, I am leaning towards 15T w/ Airborne, hopefully make Crew-Chief ASAP. With the draw-down I wonder if that will be possible to do in a timely fashion.

Good choice. I started as a 15T. Quality of life in a flight company is so much better than maintenance companies. Try to go to Korea, that's about the only place you'll have a shot at becoming a crew chief after a few months rather than a few years.

Good choice. I started as a 15T. Quality of life in a flight company is so much better than maintenance companies. Try to go to Korea, that's about the only place you'll have a shot at becoming a crew chief after a few months rather than a few years.

Thank you Sir. Seems like a good place to start my Army Aviation career!

Also, this summer I am going to get my PPL, FW, before shipping out in 6-7 months because I probably won't have time in service to do it, or will I? (I heard 15T's work 12-14 hours a day everyday)

I figure bang out the PPL to help with selection down the line, and get my BS/MS in Aeronautical Science from Embry Riddle with tuition Assistance while on Active Duty. I believe doing this will help eliminate the weak parts of my packets, and also benefit me down the line.

I always loved to skydive, and I hope to someday make it to the Army's Golden Knights Skydiving Team ! I may never get selected for WOFT or the Golden Knights, but worst case scenario is I try to make my dreams come true, and end up with a good job (A+P Mechanic) as well as some memorable life experiences.

This is going to be a very exciting year..

Dont forget you could always go super highspeed mankiller for a few years.

Ranger

Special Forces

etc.

There are quite a few longtabbers, Ranger RGT guys, etc that are pilots now.

Dont forget you could always go super highspeed mankiller for a few years.

Ranger

Special Forces

etc.

There are quite a few longtabbers, Ranger RGT guys, etc that are pilots now.

Thank you Sir.

Why do you suggest this option over 15T? Just wondering Sir.

I don't know if I'm hardcore enough to be a high-speed mankiller, and with the drawdown RANGER slots seem impossible to get. SF I am afraid of failing and being stuck in a 6year infantry contract, but my friend is AD SF and he says if you make it you'd never want to do anything else. I disagree as many guys go SF/RANGER > WOCS but rarely the other way around. (I heard)

I can barely run 3 miles at 9min pace, I'd need to get to 5 miles at 7min pace, and 12 mile ruck at 15min pace w/ 60lbs. Current APFT is 270-275, I could get to 300 in 6-8 months, but would it benefit me more?

An Apache just flew over my house as I was looking at FY11 selection stats and reconsidering finding a way to drop my packet, perhaps its a sign? LOL or just a coincidence... (Never happened before though!)

So many options....I'm going to the gym before I drive myself nuts

I am only putting it out there because there are experiences you can get in the military that you will never be able to get as a civilian. There is still a war going on with plenty of people that need to get shot in the face.

Take my 58D class. Of the former NCOs (6 of them), FIVE were former combat arms, and only one was a Hawk Mechanic.

Its simply up to you. If you enlist, pick a job that you will love for 8 years, not simply a stepping stone.

Just my .02.

I am only putting it out there because there are experiences you can get in the military that you will never be able to get as a civilian. There is still a war going on with plenty of people that need to get shot in the face.

Take my 58D class. Of the former NCOs (6 of them), FIVE were former combat arms, and only one was a Hawk Mechanic.

Its simply up to you. If you enlist, pick a job that you will love for 8 years, not simply a stepping stone.

Just my .02.

Thank you Sir. I wouldn't mind shooting some bin-laden wannabe's in the face, that's pretty high speed. However, my friend who's in the 82nd said there aren't anymore combat deployments after this year, since its all hearts and minds now. As far as getting action, SF or RANGER are good choices, but like I said, odds are against me as far as "surviving the cut," or getting a shot in the first place (Option 40).

Maybe I should just go in on an Airborne Infantry 3-4 year contract, get in ridiculous shape and then drop SF/WOCS packet? I hear life in the 82nd can be good or just plain TERRIBLE.

Go aviation trust me. 15T is a great choice.

Thank you Sir.

What If I get stuck in a maintenance company slaving away for 2-4 years for 14hrs+ a day? I guess its a roll of the dice, I could become a Crew Chief in a few months, or get bent over by the Big Green Machine.

I feel the "Need For Speed," definitely an adrenaline junkie, 97 ASVAB, 275 APFT, and terminally curious as they say. I just want to serve my country in the best possible way. Where do I belong?

Does this mean you're giving up on WOFT? If not, then focus your energies there. Save this dilemma if you are ineligible for flight school selection.