Intro, Chances for WOFT, Updates

So for me I have 30 hours of flight time and 1 hour of dual in a Schweizer 300C will that look ok?

Why not? Or, do you mean should you continue on for a rating? That depends. I assume then that 29 of those hours are fixed wing? If so, you only need about 10 more hours for a PPL. Something to consider. I wouldn't spend the money on a PPL-H however, unless you submit your packet and get rejected.

I have my AFAST in 2 weeks so im trying to keep studying but your right 10 hours is not much more for a PPL. Would I still have a good chance if I didn't get to finish and get my PPL? I have an A&P will that look good?

Of course it would look good having your A & P. Why would it look bad? With regard to not having a chance to finish your PPL, a lot of it is how you write it in your resume. Perhaps instead of simply writing, "30 hours C172," write "Pursuing Private Pilot (Fixed Wing) Rating, 30 hours, C-172." See the difference? It indicates you are going for certification instead of randomly getting flight hours.

You could also take your PPL Written exam and put that in your resume as well.

• Like 1

Of course it would look good having your A & P. Why would it look bad? With regard to not having a chance to finish your PPL, a lot of it is how you write it in your resume. Perhaps instead of simply writing, "30 hours C172," write "Pursuing Private Pilot (Fixed Wing) Rating, 30 hours, C-172." See the difference? It indicates you are going for certification instead of randomly getting flight hours.

You could also take your PPL Written exam and put that in your resume as well.

Good advice. 30 hours of flight time over too long of a period can be interpreted as you not finishing what you start. Be prepared to answer the question about not finishing your PPL. How you answer may make the difference between it being interpreted as a positive or a negative.

Thank you Gentlemen.

I want to be a 160th pilot soooo bad. If my waiver gets disapproved, is there a fast track way to enlist into 160th as a mechanic/crew-chief? Just raise my hand at AIT and/or chase down a 160th recruiter?

Cheers,

Unitedwestand111

No.. There is no fast way into 160th... enlist as a repair guy... 15T or 15U (blackhawk and shithook techs) and apply for 160th while in the last stages of AIT. They have their requirements... and keep at it.... They're not currently over strength for either mos.... and making points for 5 and 6 are pretty easy. Once your in... all of that BS about moral waiver crap goes out the window.... they look at your NCOER's, and your AFAST scores.... you'll be working around pilots so LOR's shouldn't be too hard to come by unless your a shitbag... (not saying your are.... I wear my shitbag tab proudly as a network engineer >.<)

Network Engineer!? :o Just joking.

Went to MEPS yesterday for the physical, sooo much fun, and I get to back for more Monday to get my ear drums rechecked, even though I aced the hearing, and to speak with a counselor. I guess my traffic tickets and arrests were a red-flag.

Station commander doesn't think I'll get picked up but he's still submitting a waiver, kind of a bummer. He put 2 WOFT packets in, neither got selected. One supposedly had everything I do, but worked at a Church w/ no law violations. The other was a Pilot w/ no violations, except a few tickets.

If I go enlisted I am leaning towards - 15T w/ Airborne + GI Bill. Hopefully I can get Air Assault, Ranger, or something good too. Any suggestions?

Kinda sucks there's no more SLRP, but I guess I can pass it down to my kids someday, or use it to fly birds.

Also, emailed Embry Riddle, I can get into their Masters Program and bang it out with TA in 1.5 years if I'm motivated. Figured if I at least have some credits towards a Masters with a 4.0GPA that will help when try to apply again.

Thank again Ladies and Gents.

Station commander doesn't think I'll get picked up but he's still submitting a waiver, kind of a bummer. He put 2 WOFT packets in, neither got selected. One supposedly had everything I do, but worked at a Church w/ no law violations. The other was a Pilot w/ no violations, except a few tickets.

Way to keep moving forward and setting goals. You're planning contingencies.

Just don't let that station commander get you down. Your packet is your packet, not some other dudes. The interview you go to and the board that reviews your packet will not be the same as them, either. Just keep that determined attitude and you'll get there.

As far as jobs and schools go, you really can get into aviation from any number of routes. I'm in the National Guard now, but I applied and was selected while I was still a computer weenie in the Air Guard. There are multiple roads to flight school, and people here from tons of different backgrounds!

Pick a job you like. Go to schools you like. If you want to be high speed and go to Ranger school, more power to you. If you can get SERE knocked out before you get to flight school, that is also one step closer flying.

Network Engineer!? :o Just joking.

Went to MEPS yesterday for the physical, sooo much fun, and I get to back for more Monday to get my ear drums rechecked, even though I aced the hearing, and to speak with a counselor. I guess my traffic tickets and arrests were a red-flag.

If I go enlisted I am leaning towards - 15T w/ Airborne + GI Bill. Hopefully I can get Air Assault, Ranger, or something good too. Any suggestions?

Kinda sucks there's no more SLRP, but I guess I can pass it down to my kids someday, or use it to fly birds.

Also, emailed Embry Riddle, I can get into their Masters Program and bang it out with TA in 1.5 years if I'm motivated. Figured if I at least have some credits towards a Masters with a 4.0GPA that will help when try to apply again.

Thank again Ladies and Gents.

Once you're in... it's a whole different world. Going 15T or 15U will put you close to the warrants that will hook you up if you're the right kind of guy... They work with each other and you could possibly get hooked up with a CW5's LOR. All that moral waiver crap goes out the window and they look at your service record. Do 4 years as a crew chief... bust your ass at Embry (Professional Aeronautics will look pimp). If you pop your Bachelors degree... drop a packet with 270+ pt, GT of 120, and a good score on the AFAST... They could care less that you got a speeding ticket... NCOER's are a big thing too if you make it quickly

I can see how being in Aviation would help, and if my waiver gets denied I may go that route.

However, It seems 15U and 15T require 6 years Active Duty, I guess because there is technical training, I did not know that.

Anyone know a real good brand of suit for the interview? I was thinking of going flashy super modern slim-fit, but realistically a conservative CalvinKlein dark-blue suit, w/ light blue shirt + gold/blue/red tie w/ a little pattern would be better, no?.

Want to show a little personality but not over the top. Holla.

EDIT: I was at MEPS and they were trying to scare everyone, threatening jail time, etc.. This kid raises his hand and was like "What If I smoked Marjiua..." Everyone was like STFU! Even the Lieutenant was like, dude!

Clean cut conservative was my plan. I have a Hugo Boss charcoal suit, white shirt, blue pattern tie.

My advice is to use what you have, if you don't have a suit go buy a nice navy one. You can never go wrong with a nice navy suit. The jacket can easily be worn with jeans as a blazer. Well worth every penny.

Great minds think alike!

Selection is so close I can almost taste it. -_- I'll admit I am nervous for the interview, which is funny since I have never been denied a position. Treat it like a regular interview, relaxed and respectful right...

Got some LOR's in the works.

1) Director of Major Company - knows me

2) CEO/Director of Major Company - knows me

3) College Professor - Got an A in his class

4) Army CW- - Friend's friend's Dad, gonna corner him for a LOR, especially if hes a CW4-5. lol

5) Police Detective - gonna write me a sick LOR

6) Financial Planner - colleague and long time friend

7) Army Reserve Intel guy - Neighbor

Looking much better than last week. Should I still try to get one from a flight instructor? Maybe not since he keeps ducking me, trying to get my G** D**n 5 hours logged...

Also, going to try my best to get everything together within the next few days, before they send up my waiver for approval/denial. Even contemplating finding another recruiting station far away like Pennsylvania, to increase chances of approval. I get the feeling this recruiting station may deny it. Especially because I have been hassling them for so long, and told them I'd enlist if it didn't work out. I'm scared... Obama+s+not+ALL+bad.+Jk+im+voting+for+Ron+Paul_6f421a_3210145.jpg

Alright everyone, I am finally taking the AFAST this Tuesday...any last minute advice? I have gotten 100% on all sections of Arco Study guide for AFAST after studying for so long and I have plenty of time left on complex movements after I finish. How do you guys think I will do and what else can I do to study? Thanks for everything guys. - Dan