Mike Durant

You are a lucky man. When I was a cadet at a certain Military Academy's Summer program, I had the luxury of being drilled by one of the snipers during Op Gothic Serpent. He told us a few stories about Mr. Durant. Listen closely to what he says.

• 2 weeks later...

I would save the questions about WOC packets or school. It's been forever since the guy was in and things have changed alot. Mr Durant is very smart, and deservedly a little full of himself. You are more likely to get a smart ass answer than anything that you could really use. However, there is a lot of knowledge to be gained from his experience a a POW. If you plan on asking him a question, think it out very carefully beforehand. I had the priveledge of seeing his lecture when I was in the Regiment. I asked him a question (don't ask what) and he made me look like a moron in front of the whole theatre. I have nothing against the guy, but he's sharp (like a razor). Unless you have a truly enlightening comment or question for him, I'd keep my mouth shut and just listen.

It wasn't "dumb". It was just not worded very well and he kind of poked fun at me, much to my embarrassment. One of those deals where his answer had the crowd laughing and me blushing. I have met him and interacted with him a few times. I talked to him for about 5 minutes once at a book signing at Fort Campbell. Like I said, I have nothing against him, but he definitely has a "superior" attitude, and not necessarily undeserved. But it's there. It's an attitude I associate with West Point grads and High School to Flight School Warrants that never spent any time enlisted. Now he's a civilian and a celebrity. He's a very intelligent former Night Stalker pilot from back in the day when the Regiment was much more high-speed than it is now. If you have an impression that he's this nice, talkative, personable guy, you might be in for a surprise. All I am saying is; I wouldn't waste his time with questions about warrant packets. What is he going to tell you that you can't get an answer to elsewhere? There is much more you can learn from him than that if you just sit and listen.

• Like 1

I honestly don't remember exactly what I asked, but it was in relation to his experience as a POW. I just can't remember exactly what I asked or how it got turned around on me. To be fair, he did answer the question, just in a way that made me feel like an idiot. I remember thinking I should have just kept my seat. Perhaps you will get a different impression or have a different experience. Maybe the small handful of times I have interacted with him he was having an off day. Or maybe he's just not the most approachable guy in the world. I'll let you be the judge. One thing is for sure, the guy has a wealth of insightful knowledge and very good advice to remember if you ever find yourself in that kind of situation.

I met and talked to Mike Durant for a good 10 minutes personally and he is by far a great person and very nice. I talked to him about my WOFT packet and even asked him after our conversation for a LOR and gave him my resume. He said he would get back to me on that. But overall he is a great guy and I had absolutely no issues with him.