My first solo! R44 Raven II

Not to pour more gas on the fire, but if you can't fly in the 22 because you're over 200lbs you may want to consider trying to lose some weight. I don't know if thats a viable option for you, but just think about down the road when you're in the market for a job... They have plenty of people who want the one CFI job thats open, most other students can instruct in the 22 and 44, you can't.

Not trying to rain on your parade but both turbine jobs I've had thus far flat out told me they weren't insterested in anyone 200+lbs. Weight limits don't always go away after flight school....

I know weight limits don't ever go away. Weight is a big factor in flying aircraft. I get that. The point of this thread was to be happy I flew a helicopter, solo, for the first time. The #1 reason I came to school to be a helicopter pilot, was to fulfill my dream of flying. I am doing that. I have a passion for helicopters. Flying in helicopters, looking at helicopters, turning a crap helicopter into a great one, and watching it go fly, making helicopters able to sustain the mission of saving lives. Somewhere, a position in the professional helo pilot industry, is a good fit for me. I'm 6'3" and lift weights, I'm not unfit but I have weight I can lose. I am loosing weight. I have a good diet/exercise/cardio program. Will it be THAT big a deal if I can't be a pilot for life? No. Will I still be able to fly? Yes. If I have to continue till retirement as an A&P mechanic, I'm fine with that. Does that mean I don't care about a career in flying? Absolutely not. I'd love a career as a pilot. I will pursue a career as a pilot. If I hit a wall because of my 100% R44 time and my weight, I'll still have a fall back career that pays great and can support my family and still allow me to save for retirement, while I continue to search for a job as a pilot. Sorry for the rant, but I looked a lot before committing to this program. Now that I'm in it, I'm committed to it. I did not just jump into the first school I found w/o any research into the pilot career field. My wife can vouch for how long, how many months, I went back and forth over the decision to quite my job at Sikorsky, with the pilot career field being so tough for someone in my situation. I thought about it for months and I 100% accept the way things are for me, and the challenges I face. Rant over.

Edited by superstallion6113
  • Like 1

superstallion... i'm taking a stab in the dark here, but are you the guy who sits behind Jake in ground class?

Not trying to steal any thunder here, just basking in the glory with you buddy. It is DEFINITELY an awesome feeling on that first solo. for me though, the solo in the pattern was the most fun. not sure if you got that one in yet. but knowing that you did it all from pick up to set down, and didn't get yelled at by tower (i downloaded a clip from liveatc.net where the solo student was grounded by tower) is a definite confidence booster.

just did my first night flight today as well... holy crap is that a game changer... lol

And for anyone who cares, he's in the 44 because guidance has a 200 lb weight limit for the 22's

Not trying to rain on your parade but both turbine jobs I've had thus far flat out told me they weren't insterested in anyone 200+lbs. Weight limits don't always go away after flight school....

This can't be with any if the majors in las Vegas or the GOM. Or, from what I have heard EMS, since being 200+ seems to be the minimum for flight nurses :-)

There are some places where I am sure weight really matters, but In most cases I think it's not that big of a deal. 300, maybe, but the difference in 200 and 225 is about 6 min of fuel burn.

Yeah, it is much more convenient to weigh less, but being a tall, semi fit, muscular person is not a death sentince to a flight career.

• Like 1

Congrat! I remember my first solo many many years ago. Such a great feeling to have completed a big milestone. Keep it up. Don't worry to much about what others are saying about lack of R-22 time. Pave your own road, find a way and make it work. Get your CFII and you'll be good to go as a full time CFII flying the R-44.

• Like 2

superstallion... i'm taking a stab in the dark here, but are you the guy who sits behind Jake in ground class?

Not trying to steal any thunder here, just basking in the glory with you buddy. It is DEFINITELY an awesome feeling on that first solo. for me though, the solo in the pattern was the most fun. not sure if you got that one in yet. but knowing that you did it all from pick up to set down, and didn't get yelled at by tower (i downloaded a clip from liveatc.net where the solo student was grounded by tower) is a definite confidence booster.

just did my first night flight today as well... holy crap is that a game changer... lol

And for anyone who cares, he's in the 44 because guidance has a 200 lb weight limit for the 22's

I did my in the pattern solo this past weekend. Had a blast! My solo at Wells was only a .7, since we ran out of time, so my partern solo was a 1.5. Felt great flying that long alone! We are doing a night vfr to Scottsdale next week sometime to burn off some of my extra hours. I think I have 5.5 hrs or do left.

I was joking about the EMS, and I guess the people I know that fly in Vegas must have all gained weight after they got the job. Kind of like the freshman 15.

Oh well, I'm not going to debate what somebody else was told in an interview. Have a good weekend.

I'm no expert, not even nearly close, just a little private pilot, but to me it seems that having all R44 time would be extremely valuable for a career in the field. I think that a lot more companies use R44's for commercial operations (other than flight training) then they use R22's. Just an educated guess. In fact, even just today, my flight instructor gained another student that was a little too big for the R22, because he had more experience in the R44 then some of the newly hired CFII's.

Just some encouragement. I'm sure you have it all figured out. Good luck with the career, superstallion!

• Like 1

Forgive me for bringing this up again, but having no high altitude experience I'm curious. Is company imposed lower seat limits common practice among high altitude schools/operators?

Forgive me for bringing this up again, but having no high altitude experience I'm curious. Is company imposed lower seat limits common practice among high altitude schools/operators?

I can't speak for other schools, but at Guidance the 200lb weight restriction is in place due to a lack of FAA examiners that are light enough to fly with someone over 200lbs, and still be within weight limits. You can train if you are under 240 lbs, but come time for your pvt check ride, you must be 200lbs or less.

Edited by superstallion6113

I can't speak for other schools, but at Guidance the 200lb weight restriction is in place due to a lack of FAA examiners that are light enough to fly with someone over 200lbs, and still be within weight limits. You can train if you are under 240 lbs, but come time for your pvt check ride, you must be 200lbs or less.

This is the key to the 200 lb weight restriction here. Safety plays a huge factor, its just flat out not SAFE to be flying at 8k+ DA with >400lbs in the front of a 22, and I will debate that with anyone who thinks otherwise. Safety is always number one.

I am a CFI at GHI and as someone who went through the entire program right at the 200 lb mark with instructors who were a buck 50/60 soaking wet. Flying the R22 @ 8k DA is not that fun trying to do confined areas during the summer. I learned a lot, but I wouldn't want 400, let alone 480 lbs in the front of that thing in the summer around here.

For those people that are yapping about 240 lbs in a R22 and such, thats fine. But since when do flight schools hire CFIs that are 235 or 240 for a R22 flight instruction position? I know GHI requires us to maintain 185 or below. Companies can regulate the weight of their employees, but not the weight of the potential student.

My thoughts on the R44 program here at GHI. No, they can't instruct in the R22 when they are done. But we have had guys move directly into ENG in a R44. They have more 44 time than someone who does 1000 hours of dual given at a flight school with 90% 22s. It limits the flight instruction possibilities, yes, but it opens up many new possibilities since they have more 44 time than most pilots in the 200-1200 range. Not to mention, we have students that are 280 in the 44 program here, at least they are flying and doing what they want to do instead of being turned away cause they can't make weight.

That being said, superstallion, I want to say congrats on your first solo. Looks great. Keep it up and enjoy all the fun stuff the next semester has to offer (solo xc!).

Edited by CaptainDune
  • Like 1

Superstallion: Great job on the solo bro!! I am sittin in Glendale AZ and I know you'll enjoy your flight down here to Scottsdale. Did all my private training at Universal over there and took my test up in Prescott. It was 98 degrees and I'm 200 lbs! One heck of a flight!

We had an instructor at Universal who was a "big boy". He did limited R22 training and went on to fly the Gulf. Don't sweat it too much. However, all things considered, when a job comes down to you and a 180 pounder, he's gonna get the gig.

I haven't set foot in an R22 since private. I did all my commercial and IFR in a 44 and I'm thinkin about goin back for CFI and CFII as there are no positions to be had anywhere for a 300tt guy without those ratings.

Good luck in all future endeavors!!

Hey CaptainDune thanks for the heads up...I have talked to GH more than once,and they have never mentioned the weight restriction...I guess I will have to take that into consideration when dealig with the honesty of the recruiter...Especially since he stated my current weight of 200-205 wouldn't be an issue,as "they have several instructors at that weight"....Seems like you're more believeble than the recruiter,since you had nothing to gain by mentioning the weight restriction..

You'd still be able to train in the R22, you'd just have to be down to 200 or less come time for your private check ride.

Can't you just use a lighter examinar from somewhere else? Even if you have to travel to another state the price difference would defintely be worth it. Or can you not train in one state and test in another?

You'd still be able to train in the R22, you'd just have to be down to 200 or less come time for your private check ride.

I'd really like to have a good shot at instructing afterwards though...I am not the leanest guy out there,but I would have to drop even muscle to get to 185..I am still thinkin about them though...The other school that's closer is paired with a school that wants to give people 4 year "Aviation Administration" dgree if they use the Post 9/11 bill..It's a useless degree,and they just want to get the extrea funds from people...Guidance is paired with the two year degree so that's way better...How many diferent airports do you go to and actually do approaches and pattern stuff?..Seems like it sounds like quite a bit of off airport stuff?

I'd really like to have a good shot at instructing afterwards though...I am not the leanest guy out there,but I would have to drop even muscle to get to 185..I am still thinkin about them though...The other school that's closer is paired with a school that wants to give people 4 year "Aviation Administration" dgree if they use the Post 9/11 bill..It's a useless degree,and they just want to get the extrea funds from people...Guidance is paired with the two year degree so that's way better...How many diferent airports do you go to and actually do approaches and pattern stuff?..Seems like it sounds like quite a bit of off airport stuff?

A LOT of our training is done off airport. The only time we train at the airport, it seems, is when tower isn't busy, which tends to mostly be on the weekends. On a side note, there isn't a whole lot of straight and level in the airport setting as we are either climbing or descending throughout the entire pattern.

As far as going to different airports, we won't be doing that until next semester when we start doing cross countries. There are a few reasons 1) going cross country doesn't give you many opportunities to practice the basics of flying (all straight and level until you get there), 2) hour restrictions. We only get 30 hours during the first semester (VA restrictions) and they go fast. I just burned the last of mine on Sunday leaving me with a month of no flying until the next semester starts. So if we flew to other airports now, the hours would be gone even faster with no real take-off and landing practice. Not to mention emergency procedures.

• Like 1

Hey CaptainDune thanks for the heads up...I have talked to GH more than once,and they have never mentioned the weight restriction...I guess I will have to take that into consideration when dealig with the honesty of the recruiter...Especially since he stated my current weight of 200-205 wouldn't be an issue,as "they have several instructors at that weight"....Seems like you're more believeble than the recruiter,since you had nothing to gain by mentioning the weight restriction..

I don't see it being an issue is you are 200-205. I did all my training while I was around 210 and I sit around 200 right now. I don't think he was steering you wrong. The thing is, when you are 205 lbs, come checkride time, just drop 5 lbs for a week. Thats what I kept doing. But with the R44 program here that is booming not every single instructor needs to be 185 lbs. I am certainly not, and still instructing. Hell, I probably haven't been 185 since high school.

Don't take it too seriously. You're in the same boat I was, if not a better one, and everything worked out good for me.

Can't you just use a lighter examinar from somewhere else? Even if you have to travel to another state the price difference would defintely be worth it. Or can you not train in one state and test in another?

We have sent people to California before to do checkrides with Rod Anderson and Tim Tucker, but the scottsdale FSDO got angry. We even shipped a guy in from out of state to stay here for a month with us and help us with checkrides, but the scottsdale FSDO got angry.

You have to understand, that when we do over 150 checkrides in about a 1.5 month span, THREE times a year. Having your own special choice of DPE isn't really an option all the time. We have 3 DPEs on staff at guidance, and are working on finding another one. However, it seems that guys tend to get......heavier, in their old age. Haha.

Speaking from during my training only.

Scottsdale

Phx Sky harbor

Deer Valley

Mesa Gateway

Glendale

Falcon Field

Sedona

Seligman

Parker

Lake Havasu

Williams

Flagstaff

Bahdad

Vegas

Cottonwood

Wickenburg

Grand Canyon (Home of Papillon and Maverick)

Valley Airport

I am sure I am missing one or two, but those are the ones I can think of. I have been to a few more since I got hired but those are the training ones I can think of. You really start hitting different airports in commercial. Just kind of a "hey, lets go here today" type thing. Private is pretty strict, guidance isn't trying to take the VA for everything they are worth so they limit the private rating to 65 hours which is more than enough time for 90% of people to attain a private rating.

Besides, from what I have seen the Ground holds more students up than the actual flight, studying on your own seems to have fallen out a little bit, but it's different when its not being paid for by a loan I guess.