Any recent experience with Palm Beach College program?

I got out of the Air Force last year and I have 28 Months remaining under the CH33 GI Bill at 100% and would like to do the AS/AAS Professional Pilot Helicopter track. (8197H)

I already have a Bachelor's degree so the AAS might make more sense..although since my degree already transfered as credit I don't think this matters?

Any advice for picking one of the many associated flight schools?

Any issues with using GI Bill at this program? I have been classified as in state tuition.

Edited by wickedsprint

If you're entitled to 100% on the Ch. 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill, I don't think you really have to worry about in-state tuition. There are numerous similar programs at schools throughout the country. I'm only saying this to let you know you have quite a few options.

I had visited that program years ago when they were PBCC, and they were at the top of my list. All the associated helicopter schools (Cloud 9, Ocean, PBH) seemed very good and I didn't have anything bad to say about any of them. Within the past year or two I've ran into a couple PBH students/instructors at Heli-Expo and they've all been very friendly with nothing bad to say about the program. I think it's very cool what they're doing with Night Flight Concepts, that they have a NVG equipped R44, and they also have the R22 glass cockpit trainer.

Personally, I would recommend visiting as many schools and associated flight schools as you can. I think you get a better feeling of how you will get along there after meeting and speaking to a few CFIs and students. I also always recommend the program at Central Oregon Community College along with Leading Edge Aviation. That's where I started because they were the first helicopter program under Ch.33. This means they've had the most time to refine and perfect the program. The people that head the program both at the college and flight school are super friendly and always willing to help the students with anything. Even the owners of Leading Edge Aviation are very approachable and attentive to the students.

Finally, I would look for a program that offered additional courses such as turbine transition, long-line, mountain course, or NVG training. Good luck wherever you go, it's hard to go wrong as long as you're flying helicotpers and having fun. Also, if you haven't seen the following thread it lists a lot of the different schools (outdated, but probably pretty accurate).

http://helicopterforum.verticalreference.com/topic/12681-ch-33-heli-schools/page__p__91471__hl__+middle%20+georgia%20+college__fromsearch__1?do=findComment&comment=91471

Edited by rjl2001

With chapter 33, if you do not qualify for the Florida in state tuition rate, the school will charge you the out of state rate. The VA will not pay any out of state tuition. You will be responsible for any out of state tuition fees. Basically the VA will pay the in state rate, and you will have to pay the difference left over for the out state rate. For example, with an In state rate of $100 per credit, out of state of $150 per credit, you'd pay the $50 per credit difference.

Here in AZ, there is a law passed that gives Vets the in state rate, if you get an AZ driver's license/state id and register to vote, you automatically get the in state rate right off the bat. Not sure if other states do this. My first semester at Yavapai/Guidance Heli would've been about $220 of out of state tuition fees that the VA would not cover. The AZ law made me eligible for in state rate so I paid nothing.

With chapter 33, if you do not qualify for the Florida in state tuition rate, the school will charge you the out of state rate. The VA will not pay any out of state tuition. You will be responsible for any out of state tuition fees. Basically the VA will pay the in state rate, and you will have to pay the difference left over for the out state rate.

I guess I'm a little rusty on my GI Bill information, thanks for the correction and sorry for the bad gouge.