Afraid to talk to ATC ?

Goldy

It is important to be comfortable in talking with ATC. The thing of it is that it really is not a big deal. Many pilots share their reservations about Class C and B airspace. If you think about it, what is the difference in your radio proceedures between Class D,C and B airspace?

They are all the same aside from Class B in which you need a CLEARANCE. Didn't hear Cleared into Bravo? Then orbit or slow down until the controler is able to issue one.

In all cases your inital call will be in the following format:

Who you are: "Helicopter 123LF"

Where you are: "12 miles East at 1,500" (or VFR reporting point can be used)

Where you want to go: "Requesting transition Westbound along Highway 123"

ATIS Code: "With Charlie"

They will tell you ok, give you an alternative way to get where you want to go or say no. Easy.

Edited by JDHelicopterPilot
  • Like 1

I do have a question regarding phraseology in reference to new airports. Lets say I fly a XC to a new airport, don't know anything about it other than what I've found in the A/FD. If I wanted to land there, what would I request? Just to land on the active runway?

The key phrase is “unfamiliar”.

“Booger tower, helicopter triple 3 Papa Lima 7 to the south inbound for landing with Tango”

"Roger helicopter 3 Papa Lima, make right traffic for taxiway Alpha at Delta”

"Roger Booger tower, helicopter 3 Papa lima is UNFAMILIAR, inbound for ……….(fuel, transient parking, Peggys Sky Kitchen, whatever)”.

• 2 weeks later...

It is important to be comfortable in talking with ATC. The thing of it is that it really is not a big deal. Many pilots share their reservations about Class C and B airspace. If you think about it, what is the difference in your radio proceedures between Class D,C and B airspace?

They are all the same aside from Class B in which you need a CLEARANCE. Didn't hear Cleared into Bravo? Then orbit or slow down until the controler is able to issue one.

In all cases your inital call will be in the following format:

Who you are: "Helicopter 123LF"

Where you are: "12 miles East at 1,500" (or VFR reporting point can be used)

Where you want to go: "Requesting transition Westbound along Highway 123"

ATIS Code: "With Charlie"

They will tell you ok, give you an alternative way to get where you want to go or say no. Easy.

Of course it's easier when your callsign is "LifeGuard" !!

LOL.

However in reality HEMS pilots and ATC work together quite well to come up with a route in which is direct yet avoids delaying airline traffic. In all my years flying EMS I have only held up 3 airline flights as a result.