Ipad for student pilots

Does anyone have any input on 16gb vs. 32gb?

16Gb is pretty big unless you think you'll ever use Foreflight on that bad boy, if so go with the 32Gb as the entire Foreflight database is massive. You could use only small sections of the database to support the small area you fly in, but 32Gb is recommended for someone intending on using the whole thing. That will also leave you with plenty of room for other stuff like videos and music. Whether or not you go with the 4g model(extra $130) to support navigation during flight is entirely up to you. Foreflight talk you through the benefits of that on their site. I'm not sure how big the database is for the Garmin equivalent to Foreflight, maybe someone else here has that info.

I use the 64Gb. But then I use it for a lot of other things as well. As an instructor I have copies of the training manuals, course outlines, PTS, some good training videos and so on. Personally I looked at foreflight as well as Garmin and went with the Garmin.

As for a GPS receiver, I would strongly suggest going with the Dual Electronics GPS receiver. It has an app that shows you how good your signal is and your exact coordinants. There are other places to get it besides Sporty's. I went through Amazon

I dont think id be getting the 4g, I cant afford a monthly data plan and i am not a fan of paying for limited data usage. No reason why cellular companies did away with unlimited plans.

That's sarcasm, right? Humor? They did that because it's an easier way to improve the bottom line than competing for customers- people will complain and pay...

I'm an old guy but I appreciate the tons of information available in the digital age. But that ease that seems permanent can be a crutch at best, or set a trap with incomplete understanding or erroneous data. While you're learning how to do this with computers, learn (and teach) how to do it without them.

Edit: When you have as much time and experience in the helo as you do on the computer, then you can rely on the computer.

Edited by Wally
  • Like 1

The IPad has a lot of aviation features. but depending on your instructor I would plan on using it to fly with ie. charts, geo-referenced approach plates. If thats something you want to train on after you get your ratings thats great, but I wont let my students strap their IPad to their kneeboard. A few students I have wanted to do that from day 1. Nope.Im not lettting a student pilot go solo x-ctry with a geo-referenced IPad and charts!! You need to learn the equipment in the plane first. because I guarantee you the day you NEED it, it will die.

• Like 1

where did you get the training manuals?

Almost all the FAA handbooks are in PDF format. I downloaded them into my ipad. I had my TCO's converted into PDF format and loaded those also. Other than that, I just kept my eyes open.

One app you really need to have is 'dropbox'. You put it on your ipad and on all your computers. It allows you to move files between all your computers. And it is a much easier way to put files on your ipad, compared to itunes. All explore the app store for helicopter and aviation apps. There are a lot of free and 'lite' free apps to try. Some are better than others.

The IPad has a lot of aviation features. but depending on your instructor I would plan on using it to fly with ie. charts, geo-referenced approach plates. If thats something you want to train on after you get your ratings thats great, but I wont let my students strap their IPad to their kneeboard. A few students I have wanted to do that from day 1. Nope.Im not lettting a student pilot go solo x-ctry with a geo-referenced IPad and charts!! You need to learn the equipment in the plane first. because I guarantee you the day you NEED it, it will die.

I agree that students need to learn to use paper charts first. However, there is something to say about having the ability to have all the US sectionals and WAC's instantly available.

Almost all the FAA handbooks are in PDF format. I downloaded them into my ipad. I had my TCO's converted into PDF format and loaded those also. Other than that, I just kept my eyes open.

One app you really need to have is 'dropbox'. You put it on your ipad and on all your computers. It allows you to move files between all your computers. And it is a much easier way to put files on your ipad, compared to itunes. All explore the app store for helicopter and aviation apps. There are a lot of free and 'lite' free apps to try. Some are better than others.

Dropbox is huge in my company. The pilots are using it to share manuals and a ton of other aircraft related information. They've built up a massive database. Such a great resource.

I have quite a bit of stuff on my iPad, and used the heck out of it for CFI. I kept all my lesson plans on there while they were in draft form to save on paper. I have the RFH, AIH, a few instrument books, a FAR/AIM and test prep for every helicopter rating out there, and it's significantly lighter than the paper versions I've lugged around.

That being said, I wouldn't rely on it in the air. A sectional is a bit more reliable.

• 4 weeks later...

I dont think id be getting the 4g, I cant afford a monthly data plan and i am not a fan of paying for limited data usage. No reason why cellular companies did away with unlimited plans.

The 3g/4g ipad models have a built-in GPS that work without having to sign up for 3g or 4g service. The wifi only models do not have a GPS built-in. You have to buy an aftermarket GPS unit to make a wifi only model work as a GPS.

• Like 1