Clearance question

How in depth is secret?

Think more of a back ground check. Credit history, police reports are pulled, any type criminal history is explained, any significant overseas travel is also looked into, as well as any overseas contacts or family references given are interviewed. If you have a dual citizenship you have to give it up. Typically not as in depth unless you give them reasons for it to be. Literally all of my buddies and I who joined just put each other down for references and we all got interviewed for eachother. It was almost just a formality at that point.

Ok cool, so any tips on getting through the process smoother?

Just be honest about it. Filling out the SF86 is just a time consuming pain in the butt. Also keep a copy of it, because if you ever get into a position where you would need a TS, they will go back to that original form. You want to make sure your ducks are in a line because you might legitimately forget stuff later on. Here's a copy to see what you're going to have to fill out.

http://www.opm.gov/Forms/pdf_fill/SF86_July2008.pdf

Definitely keep a copy. I did one early on in the process, well started it I guess, then had to redo it later. When I met with the security interviewer he had the first, partial form with lots of missing stuff and some that needed to be corrected in addition to filled in. I had no idea going into it and didn't bring anything with me. Was a pain!

I didn't even meet with the interviewer for the in-depth interview till after I was selected by the USAREC board. I don't think, but may be wrong, they even really start till you're selected, otherwise they might just be wasting time, money, personnel, and resources doing the entire check on someone who isn't selected and not even going into the military. And why would they grant a secret security clearance to someone who is just a civilian applicant hoping to be selected?

Edited by t.o.n.y

someone correct me if I am wrong. But I believeI it depends on how long ago you completed all the paper work and interview, also how in-depth it was. If you have lived in other countries, have a criminal record, or anything else that would cause for a more in-depth look. I don't believe that it is uncommon for them to still be looking into everything even after you are at basic.

I didn't even meet with the interviewer for the in-depth interview till after I was selected by the USAREC board. I don't think, but may be wrong, they even really start till you're selected, otherwise they might just be wasting time, money, personnel, and resources doing the entire check on someone who isn't selected and not even going into the military.

I haven't even completed the packet yet and have already went to the security interview. My recruiter said that they are being more strict about security interviews lately, maybe it just varies from station to station?

Did yours cover everything? All residences, jobs, references, or was it short and quick? I also noticed a credit check done by them, on my report, after I had signed my contract. Not the kind that actually affects your credit, just an inquiry type.

Edited by t.o.n.y

It covered everything, however I have only lived in one house my whole life, had about 5 jobs, don't have a credit card, only one minor traffic ticket, have been outside of the United States one time to Canada, and only have one semester of college under my belt.They have already called one of my employers and it was only about a 2 minute conversation.

I haven't heard anything about it since my security interview, it must vary on the circumstances of each individual?

To answer your first question, quite simply no. The process is exhaustive and lengthy and can sometimes take in excess of 8 months to be completed. I work in IT and we go through TS clearance processes frequently, and they're never quick. If something comes up, expect it to take longer.

To answer the drug issues - getting a minor possession issue with Marijuana is not going to restrain you from getting a security clearance. The biggest moral fiber being tested with these clearances is honesty - how honest and sincere of a person are you? I had to classmates in IT school with minor drug offenses get approved for moral waivers, this was in the past 2 years.

Typically the type of clearance you're getting is going to determine the level of investigation you receive. Unless you're getting a Top Secret clearance, the investigation won't be as intrusive as getting a secret or confidential - which mostly entail credit checks, employer verifications, etc. If you DO end up getting a TS/SCI level clearance, for whatever reason, the investigation is going to entail them personally visiting EVERY employer on your SF-86, friends, friends of friends, family members. They'll do cross checking and they will dig deeper if something seems weird, like one of your references hints to you having done drugs.

In summary, don't lie, don't risk your career. Do you want to graduate from BCT, be 1-2 months in a training pipeline, then get pulled away to talk to some investigators who could consequentially have you administratively separated or re-classed? If you're going to be a Warrant Officer, and possess a security clearance, tell the truth. If it's on your record, they will find it eventually.

To answer your first question, quite simply no. The process is exhaustive and lengthy and can sometimes take in excess of 8 months to be completed. I work in IT and we go through TS clearance processes frequently, and they're never quick. If something comes up, expect it to take longer.

To answer the drug issues - getting a minor possession issue with Marijuana is not going to restrain you from getting a security clearance. The biggest moral fiber being tested with these clearances is honesty - how honest and sincere of a person are you? I had to classmates in IT school with minor drug offenses get approved for moral waivers, this was in the past 2 years.

Typically the type of clearance you're getting is going to determine the level of investigation you receive. Unless you're getting a Top Secret clearance, the investigation won't be as intrusive as getting a secret or confidential - which mostly entail credit checks, employer verifications, etc. If you DO end up getting a TS/SCI level clearance, for whatever reason, the investigation is going to entail them personally visiting EVERY employer on your SF-86, friends, friends of friends, family members. They'll do cross checking and they will dig deeper if something seems weird, like one of your references hints to you having done drugs.

In summary, don't lie, don't risk your career. Do you want to graduate from BCT, be 1-2 months in a training pipeline, then get pulled away to talk to some investigators who could consequentially have you administratively separated or re-classed? If you're going to be a Warrant Officer, and possess a security clearance, tell the truth. If it's on your record, they will find it eventually.

I plan to tell the truth. It just frightens me that I can't have all my ducks in a row before I leave. I never wanted to put myself in a position where something could screw me over, but I guess I have to right? It's just the risk you take? I don't get it at all. I guess they want to make sure they can keep you if you don't meet all the requirments. No backing out if you can't fly sorta thing. I know you all say all they want is honesty but I have stuff I got to put on that form. A Chinese born gf (citizen), marijuana experimentation, just worried a buerecrat will say no go then I'm stuck for four years.

Once they have invested time and money on getting you in the door and trained, they will be more apt to get your clearance pushed through. Secret isn't really a huge deal, but yours may take a little longer due to you being born outside the US. I don't think you have too much to worry about. I applied for clearance before I left for Basic training and still didn't have it after I completed tech school. It did suck being stuck there but, it eventually went through. I wouldn't put off submitting your packet.

As others have said, keep a copy, it will help immensly when you have to re-new your clearance. (every 10 years for secret)

Of course this is just my oppinion and experience in the AF, everybodies experience is a little different.

So who would be good people to list as references? or for secret is that not something I should worry about to much. Plus do they do they ask the references for references on a secret?

People that meet the requirements listed on the SF-86 are good people to list as references. If you can't pass the common sense test, it's going to be a long, hard road. i.e. if you have schmuck friends who would think it was funny to tell an investigator about that time you guys almost got caught drinking in the woods (whether this is real or imagined), probably not a good reference.

If you've divulged anything that could prevent you from getting a clearance, it shouldn't really matter who you list as references. If you didn't, well... good luck.

That said, to my knowledge, none of my references were ever contacted. I picked two guys I went to high school with, and had their contact info. (Didn't have many "known for 7 years at this address, non family member" types at the time.)