Okay so it looks like I am going to be going to a college offer aeronautical science with both fixed wing and rotary wing options. I hope to have my CFII in helicopter by then. Should I apply for fixed wing and go to college for four years or transfer as a helicopter student and finish college quicker. Basically what I'm asking is, is it better to be dual rated or finish up college quicker and try to work myself into the job market as a helicopter pilot?

The colleges I have applied to are Palm Beach State, Farmingdale, Dowling and embry riddle.

Farmingdale and Dowling are both local to me but only have professional pilot fixed wing.

Thanks for any help guys, the wealth of knowledge and advice given on here is incredible.

Should I apply for fixed wing and go to college for four years or transfer as a helicopter student and finish college quicker. Basically what I'm asking is, is it better to be dual rated or finish up college quicker and try to work myself into the job market as a helicopter pilot?

One major issue with having your ratings prior to enrollment at ERAU and several other college aviation programs offering Professional Flight which is referred to as an Aeronautical Science Degree is determining how much of your prior flight experience will be accepted by the school... Several schools will only accept a private rating and then have you demonstrate proficiency that meets their standards... So prior to making a decision as to which school you plan on attending, it's best to discuss everything with each schools flight department on your list to determine which one best fits your needs... Keep in mind that a colleges general admissions department isn't always up to date on the flight departments admission requirements...

Basically what I'm asking is, is it better to be dual rated or finish up college quicker and try to work myself into the job market as a helicopter pilot?

If you believe you have a good chance at getting hired at your flight school as a helicopter cfii, then there's no need to be dual rated (unless you actually want to fly fixed-wing?).

If you don't think you'll get hired as a helicopter cfii, then perhaps after graduation one of those schools will hire you on as a fixed-wing cfi? Its really hard to say. However, I would only pursue a dual rating if I actually wanted to fly both, lest I get stuck flying something I don't want to fly,...forever!

ERAU gives 36 credits i believe for CFII and palm beach gives 27 for CFII. If i dont get hired by my school as a cfi then my options are open for ERAU and Palm beach state. If i do get hired then I have to choose between two fixed wing schools, although I think dowling will offer 9 credits or something like that so it may be worth it just to pursue the fixed wing rating at either college, I wish the local schools had a heli program!