So my eyesight was too bad for WOFT... Recruiter just said I should enlist now, because I will get corrective surgery for free, and be able to try again. My question is, if I go that route, how long usually before I will be able to get into WOFT?

My end goal is to fly Helos. Is there a better route or option?

thanks

I had PRK. I walked into the recruiter the next week. 3 months later I was taking my MEPS physical, then flight a couple days or weeks later (been a while). Boom. I fly 58Ds now.

If you want to fly, then get yourself zapped on your own dime, and do a WOFT contract.

• Like 1

This is from the Marine side of the house:

I paid for PRK surgery myself and went to the recruiter. I got everything set up with him and after a 6 month post-op with positive results, I got my flight contract.

If you feel like you want to enlist first, go right ahead. There are good lessons to be learned from it. I will say that going through boot camp twice (enlisted and officer) sucked with the path I took.

I can pay for the surgery myself, but I was told I'd have to wait six months before I could reapply.

You do. But you'll have to wait much longer if you enlist first. Get the surgery done and then apply for WOFT after 6 months. Work on your PT in the meantime.

Ok so now I'm a bit confused. I just had LASIK last week. (20/15 and lovin it!) I had it done so I can be competitive for WOFT. Why was I thinking it was only a 3 month wait unitl you could get your flight physical/MEPS physical done? Was I confusing 3 months waiting with something else? Either way- 3-6 months is a short amount of time in the grand scheme of things. More time for the packet.