Small helo crash in Phoenix

Didn't see it posted anywhere yet. Looks like a Schweizer 300, and both made it out alive. Sounds like possible loss of power from the article, engine sputtering. registered to Canyon State Aero in Phoenix.

http://www.azfamily....-149882835.html

Edited by superstallion6113

Glad everyone made it out okay. What's the old saying about your priorities in an emergency? Life, Certificate, Airframe in that order?

• Like 2

You are assuming they would have been able to reach that spot in the first place.

You're absolutely right, I am. Just going to have to wait for the report I suppose.

Still though, glad nobody got hurt.

• Like 1

Glad they are ok, but you'd think they would have chosen a better place to crash. In Phoenix I'm sure it's hard to not fly over congested areas but we always try and fly over anything friendly, maybe that's not being taught, if you can fly over a road or a housing complex, I hope most pilots would pick the road.

• Like 1

We can sharp shoot these guys all day long, but the fact is, we don't know exactly what the situation was. Moreover, we don't know how we will react or what choices we will make until it happens, and then, after everything stops moving, we may not feel so good about our decisions. Sounds like life to me. I think the fact that those guys are alive means they did a pretty good job. It's really easy to say "I do this..." Or "I would have done that". DO you now... Would you really... <_< None of us fly perfectly all the time. Not. One. Of. Us.

• Like 2

If they were flying the Sharp delta transition they did an extremely good job. The transition around sky harbour requires flight at 300 feet all through the entire surface area and first shelf of the class b. I would only fly it with someone else in the cockpit because you are truly dodging towers. Especially to the south around south mountain

• Like 1

It was a photo flight, although I don't know if they were on-site orbiting or not when the engine failure happened.

I won't speculate on anything regarding this crash but photo flights are more dangerous than people realize. When you're low and slow you don't have many options in the event of a failure. Robinson pilots should be fully aware of SN-34. Both of these guys survived and that's the important thing.

Oh absolutely. Flying helicopters is inherently dangerous. Many missions require flying low and slow over terrain that is not desireable to auto in. However, if I lost an engine over a power plant, lake, or nasty terrain and I could have flown over a field, road, or park, I would only have myself to blame for the terrible place I would pick to crash. I'm very glad they are alive, I'm just saying I hope this is being instilled in all student pilots. Always be aware of what you're flying over and pick out a spot to auto every couple of mins or if the terrain changes. Always know where the wind is coming from, and be prepared for it. I knew a guy that flew fixed wings for many years and he said whenever he pulled onto the runway, he would tighten his seat belt and say...."Well, this is it, I'm gonna lose an engine today." Prepare for the worst, and hope for the best.