Ferry Flights Question

Ok, so I just popped into the Ferry Flights section to see what that was all about and I'm a bit confused. Am I to believe that a company is charging the ride along pilot for the time in order to get THEIR helicopter where it needs to go? Am I understanding this correctly?

More questions to follow after a response as been received.

• Like 1

This may help you better understand these "ferry flights"?

I'm driving from Dallas to Myrtle Beach to take a job for the summer. Its an expensive drive (what with gas and hotels and all) so I offer to take you along (provided that you share the expense) in order to help reduce my cost.

These companies don't need you, they have their own ferry pilot. They are just looking to reduce the cost of the trip,...that's all.

Perhaps they should change the name from "ferry flight" to "ride sharing flight"?

This may help you better understand these "ferry flights"?

I'm driving from Dallas to Myrtle Beach to take a job for the summer. Its an expensive drive (what with gas and hotels and all) so I offer to take you along (provided that you share the expense) in order to help reduce my cost.

These companies don't need you, they have their own ferry pilot. They are just looking to reduce the cost of the trip,...that's all.

Perhaps they should change the name from "ferry flight" to "ride sharing flight"?

Sometimes….

The scenarios are many. Just know; helicopters rarely move unless someone other than the owner/operator is paying for it….

A “for hire” machine is repositioned for a reason. That reason usually includes a “ferry” cost which the customer pays. You assist with the ferry and what you pay is on top of what the customer has already paid… Simply put, the machine is being repositioned whether you or anyone else is on board. The “incurred expense” of the ferry has been already negotiated….. As a ferry taker, your cash is the cake……

Some of these fight should be called “double dipping”….

• Like 4

Sometimes….

The scenarios are many. Just know; helicopters rarely move unless someone other than the owner/operator is paying for it….

A “for hire” machine is repositioned for a reason. That reason usually includes a “ferry” cost which the customer pays. You assist with the ferry and what you pay is on top of what the customer has already paid… Simply put, the machine is being repositioned whether you or anyone else is on board. The “incurred expense” of the ferry has been already negotiated….. As a ferry taker, your cash is the cake……

Some of these fight should be called “double dipping”….

Spike hit the nail right on the head! RP

As with everything in life, there is always going to be the negative side. If you fear you may be the victum of "double dipping", just ask them, "Are you being paid to ferry this aircraft?". If you feel your being taken advantage of, then just don't take the flight.

This may be naive, but I don't believe that all of the people offering these flights are greedy bastards?

Edited by eagle5
  • Like 1

I've offerred a ferry flight, and all I got was static, and no offers to take me up on the ferry flight. Ideally the proposition would be a win win, each partner getting something they want for an acceptable exchange to both sides. The only other better deal I have heard of is people offering ferry time for free. One did in my ferry flight thread. At least he said it would be free.

Ok, I get it now. I suppose under the right circumstances for the pilot buying in, it makes sense, but in my OPINION there is definitely a fine line. I could see myself doing it more for the trip than building time. Then again, that's assuming I don't end up in a situation where I NEED to build time.

How often are family/friends allowed to accompany on ferry flights? Or are they at all?

I would say that that question depends on who, what helicopter, and how far.

I'm not an expert, but from what I've seen, most ferry flights come with a CFI. That means if in an R22, than you're obviously going just you and the CFI. If it's an R44 or something bigger, I have no idea.

As with everything in life, there is always going to be the negative side.

I wasn’t trying to be negative. Just factual based upon my experience. In fact, I too once paid a double-dipper for cheap flight time. No biggie, if you’re willing…..

The real joy of "giving back" comes from offering a ferry flight for free. Especially, in a 206, 407 or 350…… Fun times....

• Like 2

I wasn’t trying to be negative. Just factual based upon my experience. In fact, I too once paid a double-dipper for cheap flight time. No biggie, if you’re willing…..

The real joy of "giving back" comes from offering a ferry flight for free. Especially, in a 206, 407 or 350…… Fun times....

I don't think he was trying to imply that you were. I think the negativity of it is up for interpretation.

eagle5: Greedy? I think it depends on the situation...

aeroscout: I'm in the middle of reading that thread right now. It went downhill fast then forgot to take the left in Albequerque! :o