Best Vietnam Helicopter Book

ChickenHawk was my first read, (actually, I listened to the audiobook and I really enjoyed it.

Low Level Hell was next, not as well written, but I definitely preferred the content over ChickenHawk.

Snake Pilot came after that, and I found it to be a decent read, but I really did not like all the whining.

Currently reading:

Cleared Hot. Decent read, even though its about 60% dedicated to the OV10.

To the Limit, and

Rattler One Seven, are on my desk and next in line.

Thus far, Low level Hell and ChickenHawk are leagues ahead of any other Vietnam Era book I've laid hands on, to date.

A great helicopter pilot book that doesn't focus only on Vietnam is The Rise And Fall of Captain Methane by Dorcey Wingo. It's his auto biography and was really interesting. From Vietnam to heli logging in the pacific north west. He also wrote another book called Wind Loggers that was very entertaining.

Another book I enjoyed was called Heli Logging in a Sucker Hole by Bart Coluntuano (spelling?).

Just finished "Rattler 17". Struck me as a very honest account, can't see any exageration or self-glorification in it.

Not helicopter, but still interesting- "A Hundred Feet Over Hell" illuminates the Bird Dog driver story...

ChickenHawk was my first read, (actually, I listened to the audiobook and I really enjoyed it.

Low Level Hell was next, not as well written, but I definitely preferred the content over ChickenHawk.

Snake Pilot came after that, and I found it to be a decent read, but I really did not like all the whining.

Currently reading:

Cleared Hot. Decent read, even though its about 60% dedicated to the OV10.

To the Limit, and

Rattler One Seven, are on my desk and next in line.

Thus far, Low level Hell and ChickenHawk are leagues ahead of any other Vietnam Era book I've laid hands on, to date.

You should really enjoy To the Limit. It was one of my favorites, and I've read them ALL.

I'll also bump Dustoff by Mike Novosel back to the top of the list. He's an icon in Army Aviation. Flew in multiple wars, received the Medal of Honor, etc. Pick it up.

• Like 1

You should really enjoy To the Limit. It was one of my favorites, and I've read them ALL.

I'll also bump Dustoff by Mike Novosel back to the top of the list. He's an icon in Army Aviation. Flew in multiple wars, received the Medal of Honor, etc. Pick it up.

Good book. I bought it years ago from the museum at Rucker. I was walking up to the counter when Mike walked in. I walked over to him and he was more than happy to sign my book for me. We chatted for a couple minutes and he gave me his MOH card to use as a book mark. Short little guy and funny! He used to hangout at the O club and down some drinks with the students and tell real war stories. Guys like him are becoming more and more rare these days.

Good book. I bought it years ago from the museum at Rucker. I was walking up to the counter when Mike walked in. I walked over to him and he was more than happy to sign my book for me. We chatted for a couple minutes and he gave me his MOH card to use as a book mark. Short little guy and funny! He used to hangout at the O club and down some drinks with the students and tell real war stories. Guys like him are becoming more and more rare these days.

There was only one Mike Novosel, ever. We're each and every one of us unique, but especially so for some...

• 2 years later...

A biased recommendation for a good Vietnam adventure book would be JOKERS War love and Helicopter Pilots What could go wrong? Based on true events from a participant. Sold on Amazon in paperback or digital format. 78% of reviewers give it a 5 out of 5 stars. 73 reviews from Vietnam crewmembers to housewives. Two twenty something college students drop out and go to Vietnam as helicopter pilots. With money in their pockets the head to Austria to ski and party. By accident this leads to another adventure.

A biased recommendation for a good Vietnam adventure book would be JOKERS War love and Helicopter Pilots What could go wrong? Based on true events from a participant. Sold on Amazon in paperback or digital format. 78% of reviewers give it a 5 out of 5 stars. 73 reviews from Vietnam crewmembers to housewives. Two twenty something college students drop out and go to Vietnam as helicopter pilots. With money in their pockets the head to Austria to ski and party. By accident this leads to another adventure.