What do you want to do?

52 members have voted

1. 1. As a helicopter pilot what is the job you want most?

• EMS
    • LE
    • Military
    • Utility
    • ENG
    • GOM
    • Tours
    • Flight Instruction
    • Cattle Mustering
    • Tuna Spotter
    • GA (fly as a hobby)
    • Corporate
    • Other

Gulf of Mexico. As a diehard Sikorsky guy it'd be my DREAM job to be flying on an S-92. I don't care if it's SIC for a few years. Plus it'd be cool to fly out to all the oil rigs. Not quite like flying onto spot 5 on an LHD, but still exciting.

Start over on the same path, or another one ?

I’d say a different path only because I can and, it will be much easier than the first go around. However, some kind of advanced turbine instruction, which I've done before, is not out of the question.

Edited by Spike

Fly the OH58D Kiowa Warrior for the next few years, get a deployment under my belt, and try to hired by Bco 1-160th flying AH6Ms. Retire as a crusty CW5 that scares people.

• Like 2

What do I want to do....

Utility/FF would be the nice ticket.

But really, win a big lottery, retire at my tender age of 42, purchase a fleet of various helos and build a bunch of bases in various conservative minded states, invite my pals at VR to come by and fly, just to fly and have fun. Finish off a terminal degree. Live a long, healthy life (well past 100) with full physical & cognitive processes intact. Make sure the junior and juniorette rotorheads grow into responsible/kind/productive adults (might need em later). Go to sleep 1 night, and, move on to the other realm, be judged by the Original Aviator & find myself in good company of those who preceded. Also be remembered kindly for my 'returns' to society. Maybe have even made of positive difference or impact, like: for some.

That wouldn't be too bad.

Since you asked.

-WATCH FOR THE PATTERNS, WATCH FOR THE WIRES-

• Like 1

Fly the OH58D Kiowa Warrior for the next few years, get a deployment under my belt, and try to hired by Bco 1-160th flying AH6Ms. Retire as a crusty CW5 that scares people.

It seems I forgot to add crusty before CW5 in my post, my apologies. The "scary" part may help me get that LE job on the bright side.

Is it weird that I don't know? I'm in a company right now that has a strong utility leaning, and I could certainly go that route in a few years, so I answered Utility. I've got a little time on a 150' line right now, and it's certainly challenging work. I think I could enjoy that quite a bit, but we'll see. I'm also staring down the barrel of being my company's CFI for the flight instruction side of things (we're a two, going on three, helicopter operation) so I'll get to see what it's like being the leader instead of the follower.

Honestly, I want to try a bit of everything. I know I love flying, and I know I'll do just about anything with a few exceptions. Luckily, I'm in a position where I'll be able to be a little picky with my next job or two. Now if only I could get into that whole turbine thing!

Crusty CW5s are all scary. I think when you put in your packet for CW5 they use the full length photo to hold up in front of small children. If 98% of the kids cry your promoted.

What the hell kind of CW5s have you guys been hanging out with? LoL

Is it weird that I don't know? I'm in a company right now that has a strong utility leaning, and I could certainly go that route in a few years, so I answered Utility. I've got a little time on a 150' line right now, and it's certainly challenging work. I think I could enjoy that quite a bit, but we'll see. I'm also staring down the barrel of being my company's CFI for the flight instruction side of things (we're a two, going on three, helicopter operation) so I'll get to see what it's like being the leader instead of the follower.

Honestly, I want to try a bit of everything. I know I love flying, and I know I'll do just about anything with a few exceptions. Luckily, I'm in a position where I'll be able to be a little picky with my next job or two. Now if only I could get into that whole turbine thing!

Utility/Contract(pref EU)/Long Line/Short Haul job for me. I think that either of those types of jobs would offer the most dynamic style of flying. I also wouldn't mind spending some time as a GOMER down in the gulf.