What do you want to do?

52 members have voted

1. 1. As a helicopter pilot what is the job you want most?

• EMS
    • LE
    • Military
    • Utility
    • ENG
    • GOM
    • Tours
    • Flight Instruction
    • Cattle Mustering
    • Tuna Spotter
    • GA (fly as a hobby)
    • Corporate
    • Other

I went with ENG. I saw a show once where this guy was flying with a hot chick reporting next to him, and thought, that looks like an awesome way to spend my days! Also, think about going to the 20yr high school reunion, and answering the question, what do you do? with, I fly chopper 4! Pretty cool!

I must say though (not to talk myself out of a job) I think news choppers are probably one of the biggests wastes of money out there! The rarely ever show anything good. Just the other night there were three of them out, all showing the exact same thing, a bunch of cops hanging around a road,...whoopie! Let's face it, if its not a car chase, who cares, let the ground camera show it, and even then, big deal!

Still looks like a cool job though!

I’m sure you’re well aware; “breakers” are decided by the news desk. Each station has their own news desk HMFIC (read media mentality) who wants the shot no matter who is on scene and preferably his machine is 1st on scene. Plus, most contracts are negotiated with a minimum amount of flight time per month. Therefore, the machine will be sent regardless….

Want to fly ENG someday eh? You can practice now by hovering OGE. While this sound simple enough it does have technique to it. Like, hovering approximately 2000 AGL while maintaining your exact position over the ground. Easy enough but try saying in that position for an hour…. Lose the shot and the HMFIC at the new desk will be in your ear……….

Want to fly ENG someday eh? You can practice now by hovering OGE. While this sound simple enough it does have technique to it. Like, hovering approximately 2000 AGL while maintaining your exact position over the ground. Easy enough but try saying in that position for an hour…. Lose the shot and the HMFIC at the new desk will be in your ear……….

And at night with a 20knot wind out. Also the tv that shows what the camera is pointed at is sitting above you feet. Sure feels weird when you're steady but the camera operator is moving the camera. I got to fly a news ship with my eng friend one night. That camera can throw you off, just don't put the skid in the shot.