tips for switching instructors

Okay so I'm going to be losing my instructor soon to the tour industry. I just started solo flight by myself in the pattern and am about to punch out of the airspace solo. What can I do to make the transaction between CFIs easier? Any tips from you guys is greatly appreciated, I knew my instructor was leaving to do tours, I was hoping that it would at least be after I got my PPL.......hopefully one day Ill be in his position though!

Cryesis,

A few tips OK?

Work harder that your instructor whoever they are.

Ask for a recommendation from your current instructor about a new one.

Ask for an instructor that will be with you to complete your certificate level.

Do not compare the new guy with the last one, accept them and communicate with them.

If you feel that an instructor is not working hard for you, talk to the chief pilot about a change but only after first talking to the current instructor.

Flying with different instructors can open your eyes to different elements and can be a good thing. Continuity can also be good. A happy medium is a good thing here.

Evaluate your progress and work towards being satisfied with both your effort and your instructors.

Beat Wishes,

Mike

Edited by Mikemv

If you've already soloed, the first stage is done. It's not a bad time to make the change, it can work for you. Having another instructor fly with a problem student was always valuable, and you're ahead on that scale.

Don't get all tense about the change, but do make up your mind to do your best, "by the book". There's a lot of little things a crew does after they've worked together a while, and you and your former instructor probably had adaptations to accommodate. At first the new way will seem a little jarring, but use the fresh eyes to fix your old weaknesses. It's the first of many crew you'll work with and learn from.

• Like 1

A great way to frame this in a positive way that has always served me well is to think about "wow, I wonder what new procedures, tips, tricks and techniques I can learn from this new person, instructor, DPE, etc."

Remember the highest form of honor or compliment you can pay is to ask someone to share their knowledge and expertise with you. In every new check ride, rating, BFR, I've found that this has always been a very positive approach...and I've learned something great from everyone of them.

I want to go too! I've heard so much about you (mostly from you)!

I'm glad the word is getting around.

Same thing applies, send a PM and we can work something out.

There are some ground rules for this opportunity though in general. There is a strict dress code, no blue flight suits, gym shorts, flip flops, or aviator sunglasses. There will be a review after, and questions may be expected throughout the flight in order to maximize the rider's benefits of being in my presence.

Don't be afraid to ask questions. It has been said that there are no such things as stupid questions. This is false, I will point out any of these questions as they come up.

• Like 2

I'm glad the word is getting around.

Same thing applies, send a PM and we can work something out.

There are some ground rules for this opportunity though in general. There is a strict dress code, no blue flight suits, gym shorts, flip flops, or aviator sunglasses. There will be a review after, and questions may be expected throughout the flight in order to maximize the rider's benefits of being in my presence.

Don't be afraid to ask questions. It has been said that there are no such things as stupid questions. This is false, I will point out any of these questions as they come up.

so a tux and top hat will work?

Okay so I'm going to be losing my instructor soon to the tour industry. I just started solo flight by myself in the pattern and am about to punch out of the airspace solo. What can I do to make the transaction between CFIs easier? Any tips from you guys is greatly appreciated, I knew my instructor was leaving to do tours, I was hoping that it would at least be after I got my PPL.......hopefully one day Ill be in his position though!

Let’s put it this way. If you buy a new pair of shoes and you get home and find you really don’t like them, what do you do? You return them……

If you don’t like how the next instructor teaches or find yourself not progressing, then simply speak to the Chiefaroony and explain the situation. Hopefully, you be reassigned a new instructor. And remember, the word new doesn’t necessary mean better….. And it’s true; flying with different instructors is a good thing.

The crux of this situation is; you want to be hired after graduating so you don’t want to appear as a complainer or a trouble maker. The reality is, you are the customer and should be treated as such. That is, the school should be as concerned about your progress just as much as you are. Hopefully they are. However, none of us are there with you or know the specifics about the school you attend so take this with a grain of salt…. In short, just be professional about the transition and keep your head in the game….

Edited by Spike