A 'MECHANICAL FAILURE' left it unable to take off???

I can't talk too much about this, but let's just say they had to do a forced landing and quickly made the decision to burn the aircraft on exfil. It was a sensitive op and they did not have enough time to troubleshoot. That's public knowledge and I really can't say any more than that, HOWEVER, I can say that what the media reported, and what really happened are not too far apart. No conspiracy here.

Edited by nightsta1ker

I can't talk too much about this, but let's just say they had to do a forced landing and quickly made the decision to burn the aircraft on exfil. It was a sensitive op and they did not have enough time to troubleshoot. That's public knowledge and I really can't say any more than that, HOWEVER, I can say that what the media reported, and what really happened are not too far apart. No conspiracy here.

I do not know the credibility of this. However, I heard they may have gotten into SWP because the walls were taller than expected making them have a steeper than expected approach. I could very well be wrong as this is just what I have heard.

I do not know the credibility of this. However, I heard they may have gotten into SWP because the walls were taller than expected making them have a steeper than expected approach. I could very well be wrong as this is just what I have heard.

I had also heard something along those lines but it counters what I was told by someone who was there. I am unable to go into any more detail than that.

In the end I really don't think it matters. Something went wrong, they had to leave the aircraft behind. We got the bad guy and no friendly forces were killed. Bravo and job well done. I am sure at some point, maybe 10 or 20 years from now, the exact details of this story may come to light. In the meantime, the details are not that important IMO, and divulging them may not be in the best interest of the men and women on the frontlines. Enough said?

I had also heard something along those lines but it counters what I was told by someone who was there. I am unable to go into any more detail than that.

In the end I really don't think it matters. Something went wrong, they had to leave the aircraft behind. We got the bad guy and no friendly forces were killed. Bravo and job well done. I am sure at some point, maybe 10 or 20 years from now, the exact details of this story may come to light. In the meantime, the details are not that important IMO, and divulging them may not be in the best interest of the men and women on the frontlines. Enough said?

I understand and agree with you, some things are best left unknown. It does however motivate me even further to get accepted into the WOFT program.

Spike, I'm afraid that if you don't stop talking about the squirrel I will be forced to turn you over to my S2 for questioning ;)

In all seriousness, most of the stuff I was "read on" about would bore the life out of you anyway. No truth in the news, and no news in the truth.

• Like 1

Last year when I was working in the flight hangar at Sikorsky at the Foreign Military Completion Center in Horseheads, NY, we had multiple news agencies and reporters at our front gate trying to ask employees about the black helicopters we build. We had a contract of jet black UH-60M helos for the UAE with everything you could want on it(FLIR, weapons systems mounts, weather radar, etc), and somehow they thought we built this super secret helo there, because we always hid them in the hangar. Little did they know, all you had to do to see what we were working on, was to buy a ticket out of Elmira airport and SEE us flying and working on these things behind the hangar on the flight line, as our pad was right next to the end of the taxiway.

Edited by superstallion6113
  • Like 1

Last year when I was working in the flight hangar at Sikorsky at the Foreign Military Completion Center in Horseheads, NY, we had multiple news agencies and reporters at our front gate trying to ask employees about the black helicopters we build. We had a huge contract of UH-60M helos with everything you could want on it(FLIR, weapons systems mounts, weather radar, etc), and somehow they thought we built this super secret helo there, because we always hid them in the hangar. Little did they know, all you had to do to see what we were working on, was to buy a ticket out of Elmira airport and SEE us flying and working on these things behind the hangar on the flight line, as our pad was right next to the end of the taxiway.

You worked on the helicopters used in the Osama raid? That must have been an awesome experience. Also nightsta1ker, how long were you with the160th? It is my life goal to be a 160th pilot.

You worked on the helicopters used in the Osama raid? That must have been an awesome experience. Also nightsta1ker, how long were you with the160th? It is my life goal to be a 160th pilot.

We built and worked on plain old UH-60M helicopters with a bunch of fancy high tech gear on them. Not this secret stealth helicopter. The specific and small numbered builds we did for Sikorsky made the press and others believe we built the stealth helo there, because Sikorksy has built other secret aircraft there, one being the first 2 X-92 aircraft.

Edited by superstallion6113

I was with the 160th from 2007 to 2010. I am still working as a civilian contractor on their helos.

The reality of it is far less glamorous than the books and movies make it out to be. Consider that your warning :ph34r:

And you moved in next door to me and haven't even said hello yet... :(

We built and worked on plain old UH-60M helicopters with a bunch of fancy high tech gear on them. Not this secret stealth helicopter. The specific and small numbered builds we did for Sikorsky made the press and others believe we built the stealth helo there, because Sikorksy has built other secret aircraft there, one being the first 2 X-92 aircraft.

Occam's Razor, anyone? The simplest explanation is most often the closest to being correct.

They say fact is stranger than fiction. My experience has led me to believe the opposite. Maybe I just read too much Sci-Fi :lol:

And you moved in next door to me and haven't even said hello yet... :(

Actually, we may have met. Were you at the American Heroes airshow at Boeing last year? I think I may have talked with you, or one of your coworkers.

Besides, turnabout is fair play, I could just as easily say that you have not come to say hello to me. ;)

• Like 1

As reported..."Part of a damaged U.S. MH-60 helicopter lies at the Bin Laden compound. The helicopter was destroyed by U.S. forces after a mechanical failure left it unable to take off."

I'm confused at what I am even looking at in that picture. It doesn't look like any blackhawk I've ever seen. Either way, I have read that it was settling with power, or the tail rotor clipped the wall.

Interesting article (Apparently we are aviation geeks for wanting to know what this looked like?):

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2011/05/aviation-geeks-scramble-to-i-d-osama-raids-mystery-copter/all/1

The official’s insistence — echoed later by Panetta — that there were just two choppers involved in the 25-man raid raised some eyebrows.

According to Capt. Crispin Burke, a U.S. Army Blackhawk pilot and

Danger Room

pal, two of the copters together can just barely squeeze in 25 people plus their weapons and other gear. But it’s inconceivable that a single surviving Blackhawk could have transported all 25 members of the assault team. Anyone who’s ridden in a Blackhawk knows that.

More than two choppers were present over bin Laden’s compound, despite what the administration was saying. That was the first indication that, as far as helicopters were concerned, something unusual was afoot.

Obviously, it looks like a lot of speculation, but that doesn't quite add up. I suppose they could have crammed in the heli for the ride home?

http://defensetech.org/2011/05/04/what-the-secret-bin-laden-raid-helo-might-look-like/

As reported..."Part of a damaged U.S. MH-60 helicopter lies at the Bin Laden compound. The helicopter was destroyed by U.S. forces after a mechanical failure left it unable to take off."

I suspect that having my vertical fin and tail rotor gear box and all associated bits separate from the aircraft I'm in would make me hitch a ride too. The "how the #@*& did I do that" could wait for later and would be pretty much secondary to me at the critical point that deep in the stuff.

Fine job by brave, skilled and dedicated people.