Hi, I'd like to apologize in advance if I'm using this forum incorrectly. I don't use these boards a lot and am unfamiliar with how things work. I am a civilian pilot (fixed-wing) and just finishing up my Master's degree. I would like to apply to WOFT. I've been speaking with a recruiter, and he seems to think I have a great shot at getting in because of my experience, education, and prior service. My question is two-part: 1) What are the Army's current procedures of assigning aircraft to flight students? I've heard that students take a test, which then matches his/her personality and aptitude to a specific aircraft, but I've also heard that it is strictly by "Order of Merit." And 2) Could I be forced into Apaches if I don't want them? The reason I ask is because although I love both the military and flying, I don't know that I have an "aggressive" enough personality to fly Apaches, and the focus for this airframe seems to be just as much on weapons as on aviation. I'd really like either UH60s or CH47s. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Aircraft selection is based on your position on the OML and needs of the Army.

Your OML is a score based on academic average, 5 checkride scores, your BOLC grade, and your selection PT test. The majority of the points are from checkrides and academics, but PT is a decider as well.

Yes, you can be "forced" to fly anything in the Army. Its called needs of the Army.

Selection is simple. Everyone is in a room at Bco. On a white board is written the aircraft models and hashmarks for each that is available. LTs go first, then the list is repopulated and the WOJGs go.

A cadre member calls your name off of a list in OML order. You state what you want (from the board) and then they erase a hashmark. Next. Thats it. After everyone selects or gets told what they are flying, then they call your name off again for your top three post selection.

60s are the most populous aircraft in the Army. If you want them, you generally can get them. Chinooks drop rarely. Maybe every three classes will have one slot.

Spot on. You never know how your selection is going to go. You may have a good mix of airframes, or you may end up in a class that is heavy on one airframe. You can kind of get an idea of the split by how many airframes of each type the Army has as a whole, but in reality it just falls down to what they need at that time.

Selection is simple. Everyone is in a room at Bco. On a white board is written the aircraft models and hashmarks for each that is available. LTs go first, then the list is repopulated and the WOJGs go.

When repopulated, is it random, as the list typically is, or does it get filled with 60s?

I'm asking, is it possible that the LTs go, and their lowest OML gets slim pickings, then it gets repopulated with goodies and the top WOJG OML person gets a crack at variety?

thanks guys. I appreciate the info. is it a safe bet, then, that 60s will be available? or, have there been classes where only apaches were available? just trying to get a rough, general idea for what my chances are. if I got the Apache, is there any possibility of training into a different airframe at some point in my career? thanks again

When repopulated, is it random, as the list typically is, or does it get filled with 60s?

I'm asking, is it possible that the LTs go, and their lowest OML gets slim pickings, then it gets repopulated with goodies and the top WOJG OML person gets a crack at variety?

He just means they bring out a new list. What warrant officers get has nothing to do with what LTs get.

• Like 1

thanks guys. I appreciate the info. is it a safe bet, then, that 60s will be available? or, have there been classes where only apaches were available? just trying to get a rough, general idea for what my chances are. if I got the Apache, is there any possibility of training into a different airframe at some point in my career? thanks again

I will be more than happy to take the −64 off your lap when the time comes.

Yes, there are two seperate "lists". The LTs go first, and the Warrants choose second. We are totally indepandant of each other.

Just be at the top of the OML and you will have nothing to worry about.

If anything you are WAAAAAAY more likey to see a damn near only 60 list than anything else. Rucker has a 60 course start every two weeks with 18 pilots. My 58 class is only 12 and it's once a month.

You will most likey see 5 or so 64s, 3 or so 58s, 5 or so 60M, a million 60A and ZERO 47s.

• 2 weeks later...

My class selects Tuesday. They asked preferences from the active duty types a week or two ago. Generally they try to populate the lists with what people wish for. Sometimes people who change their airframe choice at the last moment makes that process not work out. I haven't heard of anyone since I've been here the last year wanting 60s and not getting them. Sometimes people want a 60M and get a 60A/L, but it isn't too bad. If everyone in your class wants lift or everyone wants attack, some people might get disappointed. That doesn't seem to happen often.

47 slots have been dropping lately for active duty, with Guard/Reserve guys getting put on long holds because they want some more new 47 folks on the active side. Not sure how long that will last. At the beginning of this fiscal year they said there were going to be almost no 47s, but now suddenly there are slots. It always changes.

My time here at Bco is now a mere matter of weeks. I took my final 58D checkride 4 days ago (made a 94!), and I fly my final two times Monday and Tuesday. Graduation is the 28th.

I swear I have been at Ft Rucker forever, but its also gone by in a blink of an eye. Go figure.

Have fun the the 64D. Most of my friends that picked it like it, and say its like flying a video game. Most did hate the bag, and I know one that didnt make it though it. Good luck.

You get two more flights after your last check ride in 58s? That doesn't sound like a bad deal.

Congrats on making it through and the high checkride score. I'm sure just outprocessing will feel as good as the high grade. I would be a liar if I didn't say that BWS made me feel a little pang of longing for Kiowas.

7 more months and I'm done, though, checkrides and the good Lord willing. It should go by faster than the first 15 months here.

Advanced goes by in a heartbeat. You will see.

Yea, we get to fly a day of contact refresher doing a bunch of autos, no hydraulics, etc, and a day of manual throttle.

• 7 months later...