We had around 40 give or take during Primary (after WOCS and other academics). Guard guys would already have assigned airframes so only active duty competes.

Plus you're only competing against other Warrant Officers right? Not Commissioned Officers?

Plus you're only competing against other Warrant Officers right? Not Commissioned Officers?

Yup. Only active Warrants. As far as which airframes will be available, it's honestly a crapshoot. You can be #3 but turn out the whole class will be 60s.

• Like 1

There are multiple transitions available for standard RW, NSRW aircraft and fixed wing. There isn't much point getting wrapped up around which of the big four you get out of flight school.

If you find after a couple of years that you really hate it, then you can look into a transition course.

Going along with what Buzzkill said, I've heard multiple times that it's extremely difficult to transition to other RW airframes after your initial selection, with the exception of going to the 160th.

Interesting, thnks. So is there a diferent pool of airframes for commisioned officers then? Do any of the groups gets priority allocating variety? An also, how many WO are competing for airframe, 20-30? Thnks again

Yeah commission guys are in a separate pool...at least it used to be? Too hard to tell how many for a specific airframe. SG posted his class results. Mine (13 yrs ago) were:

OH-58-3

CH-47-3

AH-64-13

UH-60-19

After going down the list all the aircraft were taken and 11 64's were still up! Some people obviously didn't get what they wanted. There was a big sales pitch to try and get us to pick Apaches. They were consistantly getting the bottom of the class for awhile so they sent some senior warrants in to dispell some of the rumors. Didn't really work for us:) Still, nothing wrong with Apaches. I like them and was really conflicted on what to pick. Ultimately I went with 60s for a bunch of reasons but primarily it was more in line with my personality.

A few have said they've seen guys transition from another airframe. I guess it's possible but in 12 yrs in 60s I never a met a single transfer unless it was an obsolete (AH-1, UH-1) airframe or 160th guy. Like I said its possible but generally once you pick an airframe you become part of a family. Most don't leave.

• Like 1

In the previous task force I was a part of, our CW4 Task Force SP (AH-64 guy) got a UH-60M qualification and our master gunner (a CW3 OH-58D guy) is getting an AH-64 transition. Both were needs due to the nature of their work in a mixed airframe task force.

Edited by SBuzzkill