Which would you rather fly,...just for fun?

32 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you rather fly, just for the sheer joy of flying?

• R22

All the arguments about these two seem to be based on training, safety, and money. I would like to put all that aside, and find out simply; which is more fun to fly?,...that's all!

Not looking for yet another debate on which makes you a better pilot, or which one will get you a job!

Just simply, given the opportunity to fly either/or (at the same price) for a "joy ride", which would you pick?

Sorry, forgot a couple of parameters; solo, no bagage!,...just basically talking about the flight characteristics

Edited by eagle5

I took a fun flight not too long ago in a -22, and had a blast. Well, it was technically knocking the rust off for my -22 SFAR sign off, but it was a BLAST. I like its tail rotor compared to the 300, and I like that it's a little twitchier. If it had better rotor inertia, it'd be an amazing helicopter. As is it's a pretty cool helicopter, and the 300 isn't far behind it.

I have twenty nine R22's and we use them to take pictures of boats. I prefer them to the Hughes. I think it makes a better photo platform for what we do. I prefer the R44 even more but not for boat photo as the R22 Mariner on floats is just about perfect with plenty of tail rotor while above translation lift which is our mission. When you want to slow down the pontoons act like brakes but also allow you to glide in autos like the skies of a downhill skier. If you remember that in the movie Jaws (I think part III) the shark bit at the pontoon of the Hughes 300 and sank it. I don't know what happened to the passengers but this was probably my first experience seeing the Hughes on floats. Flew in them in the early years along with JetRangers, A-Starts and the R22's. Also been in Sikorsky S-76 and Agusta. The question was sheer joy. Give me an R22 on floats taking pictures of bikinis (or topless in Miami Dade County, Florida) girls on boats and most that have done it agree that it's the best experience. So much so, that I offer a free hour of this helicopter time (with a cfi) to any rated helicopter pilot at any of our locations. We can sometimes come to you as long as there is water along the way with boats. Looking for timebuilders in NY and NJ right now. Tom 561-346-2816 p.s. if you have a cfi and buy 100 hours at $200/hour we'll give you a job, too!

Funny, it's been a long time since I flew an R22 solo. But just last Sunday I picked up a ship and did about a 70 mile flight. It wanted to fly faster but I tried to keep it around 95 knots. We had a solar eclipse in progress and my flight path put me at 280, so I had quite the western view. It was a ton of fun and I never felt like I was falling thru the windscreen!

I'll fly a 300 any day, but for just sheer fun solo, the R22 would be my choice.

I have flown the TH-55, Hughes 269A/B, Schweizer 300C... And I have flown every R-22 and R-44 models currently in the market.... By far the 300 is the better machine for fun flying! I personally like a fully articulated rotor system over a semi-rigid system. It's also an easier transition into the 500's... RP

I have twenty nine R22's and we use them to take pictures of boats. I prefer them to the Hughes. I think it makes a better photo platform for what we do. I prefer the R44 even more but not for boat photo as the R22 Mariner on floats is just about perfect with plenty of tail rotor while above translation lift which is our mission. When you want to slow down the pontoons act like brakes but also allow you to glide in autos like the skies of a downhill skier. If you remember that in the movie Jaws (I think part III) the shark bit at the pontoon of the Hughes 300 and sank it. I don't know what happened to the passengers but this was probably my first experience seeing the Hughes on floats. Flew in them in the early years along with JetRangers, A-Starts and the R22's. Also been in Sikorsky S-76 and Agusta. The question was sheer joy. Give me an R22 on floats taking pictures of bikinis (or topless in Miami Dade County, Florida) girls on boats and most that have done it agree that it's the best experience. So much so, that I offer a free hour of this helicopter time (with a cfi) to any rated helicopter pilot at any of our locations. We can sometimes come to you as long as there is water along the way with boats. Looking for timebuilders in NY and NJ right now. Tom 561-346-2816 p.s. if you have a cfi and buy 100 hours at $200/hour we'll give you a job, too!

Have you ever answered a post without it being an advertisment?

Once again Tom, you have no class.

• Like 3

I fly the 300 and the R44, never an R22. But I'll tell you that you can do anything with a 300, it's slower than crap, but it is very stable and does what you tell it. The 300 and the fully articulated system is way more fun to fly for me. Although I do love hear the blade slap of the 44!

When I started my Commercial training back in Feb 2004 I received 25hrs of 300C and then 25hrs of R44 Astro time. I have accumilated more than 702hrs in the R22 since I started training in Aug 2003. Long story short. I have 60hrs of 500E/530FF time and the transition from the Robinson helicopter to the 500 was cupcake. I think it all depends on the pilot as to how well you transition. I don't think it really has much to do with the helicopter model. After all, a helicopter is a helicopter. JMHO

Have you ever answered a post without it being an advertisment?

Once again Tom, you have no class.

Agreed. Tom, you dont have a pilots license so you wouldn't know. The question was which one would you rather fly, not be a passenger. It's an a-star by the way!

I would take a 300. I have only 1.3 in a 22 for a joyride and it was ok but I would rather be out doing hammerhead autos in the 300 ;)

• Like 1

I've got close to 1600 hrs in a 22, and would love to fly one again. Especially solo. It's So small that you can basically just say "hey let's go there!" and do it haha. I have moved onto the bigger and better things now, but I will still admit the 22 is a fun little aircraft.

300? Not a big fan. It not a bad aircraft, but I just didn't experience the same feeling of freedom in it a I did the 22.

• Like 1

I fly for fun and have owned both and prefer the 300C over the r22. The extra room, more power, and a regular cyclic with electric trim is the seller for me. I can fly "hands free" without the helicopter going into a nose dive and I can always leave with both tanks full.

If you remember that in the movie Jaws (I think part III) the shark bit at the pontoon of the Hughes 300 and sank it. I don't know what happened to the passengers but this was probably my first experience seeing the Hughes on floats.

This is your qualification in determining which aircraft is more fun to fly as a pilot? You watched a movie.

You're selling pilot dreams too, huh?

Everybody take a good look. This is the man who can't make a post without selling you a "job," and he doesn't fly and his idea of flying is what he saw in a movie.

Look what comes out in the wash.

• Like 2

For me, the R-22. Its just such an agile and capable machine. Great handling characteristics and its just a blast to strap on and rock and roll with.

Nothing wrong with the 300. I will say that I might be a bit bias here simply because all of my rotary time is in Robinson Helicopters. I wouldn't mind flying a 300 though, certainly to give it a try and kind of compare it to the 22. But for the sake of this question, I would rather fly the Robinson R-22. (plus I like the way the R-22 looks more than the 300)

Just my personal opinion

Well, I never flown an R-22 other than a 10 hour check out almost 20 years ago. I have flown a 300 some. But for pure joy of flying, I would go with a Piper J-3 Cub. Nothing beats it for just the joy of flight, and well for the costs difference, I can buy one and then fuel it with the interest off the difference. Helicopters are fun to fly, but they are way to expensive to fly for fun.