B.S really worth it?

A college education is well worth the effort and to add fuel to this debate you need to consider the following when using your flawed $10hr math...

Discretionary income is money remaining after all bills are paid off. It is income after subtracting taxes and normal expenses (such as rent or mortgage, utilities, insurance, medical, transportation, property maintenance, child support, inflation, food and sundries, etc.) to maintain a certain standard of living. It is the amount of an individual's income available for spending after the essentials (such as food, clothing, and shelter) have been taken care of:

Discretionary income = Gross income - taxes - necessities

While you might earn $80,000 in four years time at $10hr... Rent at $600 per month will reduce that amount by $24,000... Now subtract food, taxes, insurance, clothing, electric & water, car maint, and you have very little left for anything else and lucky if you can afford the flight lessons...

Bottomline, work your butt off, get your degree in a field that's of interest to you... Pay for your flight lessons cash as you go and you'll always have a bright debt free future, with the ability to accept entry level pay as a professional helicopter pilot, which will provide an opportunity for future advancement as you build those very important hours...

Hours = experience... Experience = higher pay...

• Like 1

A college education is well worth the effort and to add fuel to this debate you need to consider the following when using your flawed $10hr math

http://chronicle.com...o-college/27634

Lol ok $20 per hour better? I was just making a point. Maybe just provide me with one person was able to siginificantly advance their life in a way they otherwise wouldn't owing to their aviation degree, because I went to school with thousands and it made no difference.

get your degree in a field that's of interest to you... Pay for your flight lessons cash as you go and you'll always have a bright debt free future

$100,000 college and flight lessons...debt free future...what?

Edited by Shaun

College cost nothing but time out of your day with military tuition assistance. You can actually make money doing it if you apply for pell grants. He needs to go through an institute of higher learning to get 100% coverage for flight school. Might as well at least knock out the core requirements. JMO

• Like 1

Like Gary-mike said, a person using VA can make money going to college. I was in ch 30, did my flight training and then after I was done training and was instructing I went to college and used that extra cash to fight off poverty. In a way, it was like the VA was bribing me with beer money to get a degree. I couldn't argue with that logic.

• Like 2

$100,000 college and flight lessons...debt free future...what?

I'm proof it's possible... My college expenses exceed $100,000 and I've been doing it without VA eligibility... When finished will have completed all my ratings, bachelors, plus a masters... So any veteran can do it under the VA bill a lot easier than what I've done... Veterans have earned a debt free education through hard work and sacrafice and therefore are more than deserving of a free education...

Is college for everyone... No... But if you study something other than easy everyday classes taken by the masses and really focus on your future, it will pay dividens...

Someone I know graduated last year with a bachelor degree in an aviation field and today at 23 is earning $109,000 annually after one year on the job (not uncommon in this field)... Plus just started his flight training, paying cash along the way... Another girl I know graduated last year, is flying in helicopters daily in Yuma supporting a military contract earning in excess of $80,000 annually and has no ratings yet, however is now considering flight instructions since her job will cover the training expense if she'll commit to a four year contract with the company...

Networking is worth every bit of effort and pays more than you'll ever know... It's the little things that count, I took some time and did something for an aviation group that I didn't think was a big deal... The result was a 30,000+hr pilot taking an interest in helping me acheive my career goals... I couldn't ask for a better mentor and friend...

If you want to succeed, you first need to be willing to listen to those who've acheived the success your seeking... After all they've been there and know exactly what it takes to succeed in this industry...

• Like 2

Helistar,

I could not agree more, use the benefits you have earned! Many don't, and of those that don't, I would bet that the majority are kicking themselves right now. The people that are saying throw the free education away must just be worried that they will be pushed harder to get the jobs they want.

I understand the argument of having a back up plan, the OP can use TA towards a backup plan degree, so what is the debate really about?

Being the worm two feet under the sh*t as far as this industry goes, my opinion is to pursue your passion, that is when you put your best effort forward. To say you can't excel and make a good profit with an aviation degree would give many Lockheed, Boeing, ect employees a good laugh.

Whatever you decide to do, I suggest using the benefits you have earned to achieve your goals. The other option is throwing free money out the window because some jackwagon on the web said it is a waste of time and effort.