Approach Help

With my instructor we did quite a bit of training with getting into settling with power, and recovering from it, to the point I had my altitude loss at about 75ft at the point of recovery, but that was at HOGE at 700ft. We did do a few approaches, intentionally getting below ETL on steep approaches to feel the helo sink faster, to recognize what happens when you get into this, then apply fwd cyclic to get the A/S back up to above ETL, then up collective. Really wasn't that dramatic, but I was expecting it. That would be the closest to finding the edge and going over it that I experienced with my instructor last semester, and honestly it did help and I learned from it.

When I trained the SWP demonstration occurred at approximately 2000 ft AGL. You place the aircraft in a steady state HOGE hover and then begin to descend vertically. Once the ingredients for setting are obtained and the vibrations increase you have the first indication of settling (other than the ingredients). Once the machine settles the bottom would fall out, felt by the “elevator” feeling going down…. Then the recovery is initiated. Altitude loss between recognition to recovery is in the 300 foot range……

Dramatic? For a private, absolutely….. If it's not, then your probably not as close to the edge as you may think....

Edited by Spike

SWP demonstration and recovery practice should not be started at 700'. That is way to low. Keep in mind, altitude loss during the event and also you need time to recover from a possible engine failure and make a forced landing spot which has been determined already prior to starting the SWP.

SWP demonstration and recovery practice should not be started at 700'. That is way to low. Keep in mind, altitude loss during the event and also you need time to recover from a possible engine failure and make a forced landing spot which has been determined already prior to starting the SWP.

Sorry I had the altitude wrong. It was 2k AGL, about 7k MSL here in Prescott.

Edited by superstallion6113