CH-7 Kompress Longline Video

spil

A nice made video about a CH-7 Kompress doing some light longline work in the mountains of Slovakia.

Another CH-7 Kompress video from France.

Looks like the CH-7 is a smooth, very nice to fly, small helicopter.

Enjoy.

• Like 2

The Rotax 582 is not suitable for aircraft due to sudden stoppage according to the engine paper work and the 50+ fatalities with the Revolution Mini 500. They may be good for airplanes but not helicopters. The helicopter itself looks to be of a very reliable design.

The Rotax 582 is not suitable for aircraft due to sudden stoppage according to the engine paper work and the 50+ fatalities with the Revolution Mini 500. They may be good for airplanes but not helicopters. The helicopter itself looks to be of a very reliable design.

Well, I hope they have done something about the Tail Rotors then. CH-7s had a nasty habit of cracking TR blades, leading to this fatality: http://zpravy.idnes....mouc-zpravy_mad

My issue with homebuilt / experimental helicopters is this:

When a certified helicopter has a serious problem like this, there will immediately be service bulletins and emergency ADs.

The CH-7 obviously had this TR problem for a while (note that the first cracked blade is from 2006!!!), but nobody was notified or did anything about it, until a private person started collecting these reports and putting the pictures on flickr. AFTER a person had died.

I think a lot of these experimental helicopters are built for and by people who fly them maybe 25 hours a year around the circuit.

The manufacturer can claim "hundreds of kits sold, no problems!", but how many hours has the fleet actually done?

Once you start doing serious work with them (such as long lining, or putting serious hours on them, stressing the engines etc.), you will start seeing problems that haven't surfaced before. With all the things that can go wrong in a helicopter, that wouldn't be a chance I'd be willing to take with my life.

Just my opinion, which was unfortunately confirmed last year when a guy I know went down in his homebuilt Safari.

Edited by lelebebbel
  • Like 1