How to build TT and Multi TT?

I've been looking into a helicopter career and looking at the experience requirements for jobs. Every single one of the them required at least 500 hours of turbine time. Now, the only ways I know some one could get that time is through the military or doing long line firefighting...

I'd fly military in a heartbeat but I'm farsighted with an astigmatism. Lasik can't correct this. It has a high rate of regression and I would be worse off in about 4 years. Not good for a long term career. So I'm stuck with contacts that can correct me to 20/20.

So the military option is out.

So is there anything other the long line firefighting to build TT?

Also what are some options for building multi turbine time?

The non-military route;

1. Go to flight school and get your Private, Instrument, Commercial, Flight Instructor, Instrument Flight Instructor ratings, with a TT of 200hrs.

2. Work as a Flight Instructor until you have around 1000-2000hrs TT

3. Get a job in the Gulf of Mexico, or the Grand Canyon (this is where you'll get into turbine helicopters), and work until you have maybe 1000-2000hrs turbine.

4. Then look for work in Utility to get long-line experience.

As for firefighting, when I looked into it, they said you had to become a fireman first, Muli-engine, you could get in the Gulf of Mexico, starting as Second in Command in a twin once you have the experience in the singles (so I've heard).

Edited by pilot#476398

These jobs that require 500 turbine time should be more of a 5-8 year goal rather than what you should expect right when you finish training. When you finish school you'll have somewhere around 200 hours total time. You'll have to either pay extra to build your hours and begin doing tours in an R44 or you'll have to begin teaching. After 2-3 years of teaching you should be at 1000-1200 hours TT and move on to a job that requires these hours but doesn't require turbine time. Alot of guys go to the Gulf of Mexico or tours of the Grand Canyon or Alaska. After a season or 2 you'll have 2000 hours and 800-1000 turbine. With experience in turbine you can get on with some fire contracts or utility work where they will train you in long-lining. You can slowly jump from position to position and work your way up to twin time, or you can stay in the Gulf for an extra few years and move up to it. Most places won't let you just jump into twin engine aircraft.

So basically you'll have to work toward one (long lining or twin engine) and after you get it, start working toward the other.

Zippie,

Some of the pilot's I've talked to told me long line firefighting was the first jobs they got after flight instructing and it was their first turbine hours. I figured this would be accurate because most of the long line helicopters I've seen were very old birds and long line is pretty dangerous flying.

Which is why I wouldn't think there would be a lot of high hour pilots after that kind of job. Too much dirty work. High hour pilot's want the safe medvac, oil rig, border patrol jobs with retirement and benefits. Know what I'm saying?

Right now I'm debating whether or not to fly helicopters or fixed wing and fly for the airlines. I've got my rotorcraft and fixed wing private. I'm working on my fixed-wing instrument currently.

• 2 weeks later...
High hour pilot's want the safe medvac, oil rig, border patrol jobs with retirement and benefits. Know what I'm saying?

Yeah, the safe jobs. That's what I want... :rolleyes:

Not to sound rude or anything but again, you’re not even in the ballpark with your research. The only suggestion I have at this time is; if you are hesitant or “debating” in the slightest, you should steer clear of this business. That is, success as a helopro only comes from the totally committed……. Simply put, your goals in life need to be #1, breathing, #2 flying helicopters for a living, #3 eating, #4 flying helicopters for a living, #5 going to the bathroom, #6 flying helicopters for a living, so-on-and-so-forth…… Get it?

• 2 weeks later...

Heli Aviation Florida provides TURBINE TIME on the brand new Robinson R66 Turbine Helicopter for just $450 USD an hour. So you have the opportunity to log PIC Turbine time while you are working on your flying skills for your PPL, CPL, IFR, CFI or other trainings and you can do this in a combination on part or full R66 and or R44.

The best price option is following offer - Heli Aviation Florida is looking for a Studentpilot or Pilot who wants to build turbine time on a ferry flight, departing in Florida to Oregon, through Alabama, Mississippi, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and California in July 22nd with one of our experienced CFI's on the left seat and you as the PIC on the right seat in our brand new Robinson R66 Turbine Helicopter. The second flight is the returning Tour on the same Route in August 15th.

The flight takes 28 flight hours in around 3 days and starts on our Partner base "Tallahassee Helicopters" for just $275 an hour. Use this great opportunity and get a Mountain Experience and Turbine Transition Endorsement, and lots of flying experience in High Density Conditions, which is great for your pilot career. Cheaper than any turbine helicopter and Robinson R44! You never get this opportunity again.

LOG 28-HOURS OF...

Pilot-in-Command

Cross-Country

Turbine Time

Night Time

Simulated Instrument

... and get an Endorsement for your Training (PPL; CPL; IFR; ATPL; CFII...)!

No minimum requirements as a Pilot! You can also take a friend for free with you in the back Seats, if you want (Passenger weight not more than 220lbs). And you have also the opportunity to do just the half way of the flight, so you safe money and get also enough experience. This price includes anything and is the lowest turbine price in the US right now!! Let us know if you need some informations and we'll send it to you as soon as possible.

CONTACT US TODAY:

(Nick) +1-503-488-0555

info@heliaviation-florida.com

www.heliaviation-florida.com