Colorado Pipeline Patrol

I have absolutely no affiliation with CHO. None. But I like the way they do business and I enjoy seeing how other companies do real world missions and instruction. If we can't talk about these types of things without it being labeled as "advertising" then what can we talk about??

Aerodynamics?

Aerodynamics?

Sure! I'll talk about aerodynamics all day long! But there is a lot more to the helicopter industry than just the machine. Without the customer, there is no reason to fly. So how we operate, the jobs we do, how we advertise, how we strive to set ourselves apart in the industry and find our niche, is a very important topic for discussion in my opinion. There is a lot of valuable information and ideas to be gained from discussing the ops and business sides of the industry. And if Colorado Heli-Ops is willing to share their experiences, lessons learned, ideas, and techniques, I am more than happy to listen.

Haven't you ever flown just to enjoy being in the air?

Fixed wing, yes. Helicopters, no. I can't afford joy-riding. I'm either training or working. I just try to enjoy being in the air while I do it. Occasionally I get to do a short ferry flight by myself with no student in the other seat and I can just take a moment to really appreciate the privilege. But that's not as often as I would like, and it's on the companies' dime. Besides, a joyride would make me a customer at that point as I would be paying to rent the aircraft.

Edited by nightsta1ker

Jesus, some of you guys need to chill a bit. Any free time someone gets during their training whether in the back or not is a good thing. If you don't want to sit in the back of a helicopter then fine, don't. If you do, go for it. Again, it's free.

Good on you Heli-Ops for trying to give back a bit. If more places did it I'm sure we would have an all round safer industry, with people being able to see the workings of a real job and get some pointers from experienced pilots.

I have a problem with blatant ads by a certain someone on here but I didn't see DP's post that way. I have no affiliations either by the way, never even been to Colorado...

• Like 2

I agree Trans Lift. Depending on what's going on, I love to ride in the back. Initial training, patterns, autos, quick stops, settling with power, and maneuvers like that are a big no no for me.

But, to be able to go for a joyride or to experience other aspects of what helicopter flying is all about, I'm all for. I've got lucky and have been able to ride with some operators during various commercial work. Either riding in front or back, being unable to log any time, and feel that the exposure to the business (and the operators) was priceless.

Would this experience be anything that would help land me a job over the next guy? Probably not, but by seeing what the job is all about, I would have a better informed opinion if that line of work is something I would want to apply for in the first place.

For example, there was this company that I really wanted to work for. I constantly checked their website, flew up to their airport to drop off a resume, and got the tour of their operation. I couldn't have been more impressed with their operation, the maintenance, helicopters, owners, etc. A few months later, I got to fly with one of their pilots during a powerline patrol (in the back), and then up front where they dropped be at my airport on their ferry back to their airport. I had a chance for about an hour of serious one on one time talking to the pilot about whatever questions I could come up with.

By the time I got home, I had an even better understanding of what they were about. If I were to be in a different place in my life, it would (and still may be in the future) be my dream job. But not at that current time. I feel that opportunity to ride along helped me become more informed and also helped me focus my attention to a sector of aviation that better suits my goals at this time.

It also helped to save me from stalking the chief pilot for months until I got an interview only to find out that the job wasn't my cup of tea. And then, unless I played my cards perfectly, I might have burned that bridge for chances of future employment.

That's the end of my novel. In summary, unless a person feels their time is so valuable that they can't spend a day riding along without logging time, any exposure to the business is a good idea.

• Like 1

I have been watching this topic daily to see the progression. The thing that bugs me about it is that there is always this feeling that any perceived good intentions must have a secret motive behind it. If someone puts something out there that seems to be for the benefit of the industry or future professional pilots, it must me met with extreme skepticism. Well, I'm not buying into that thought process. I will take anything I see at face value until I see something to persuade me otherwise.

In this case, I think there is a (not so) secret agenda..........to bring some sincerity, thoughtfulness, and personal touch to an industry that could be as cold and callous as whatever it is that give the skeptics their reasons to doubt simple good intentions!

I am not affiliated with CHO either, but the more things I see DP put up like this, the more I start to think that I should.

• Like 3

Here are photos from the Northern Western Slope:

http://s298.photobucket.com/albums/mm243/RkyMtnHI2/Western%20Slope%202012/

We go back out again on the 9th, South this time; Durango, Salida, Pagosa Springs, Del Norte, Montrose, Gunnison, Alamosa, Buena Vista, Crested Butte (one of the prettiest places i have ever seen), Saint Louis Valley, Leadville... i’ll post those photos then. If any of you are close to where we are going please email me and we’ll get lunch or dinner. We’ll be in Durango for a couple of nights and then somewhere North of that for a night or two.

Here’s some photos from a shoot we did a couple of months ago with AIR2 and DBS Helicopters in Parachute Colorado:

http://s298.photobucket.com/albums/mm243/RkyMtnHI2/Parachute%20May%202012/

I just got home and my butt hurts constantly from sitting for hours, and my whole body hurts from crawling in and out of the helo many times a day. I am very tired and still have a weeks worth of data processing to do. I tell you all of this to say that once you get out there, the work is much harder than you probably expect. Make sure you know what you are getting into when you pick that job (another good reason to attend HeliSuccess). If you are teaching now, enjoy that for a while, take your time all along the way as there is much more to this than the flying. My hat is off to those of you that spend weeks at a time away from home and your loved ones.. the flying is amazing but the job is tough.

respectfully,

dp

• Like 1

I am 34 days straight now DP and I know how you feel! Doing emergency patrols for those storms in VA. Need a break! I don't care who you are 110 hours of flying in 20 days is too much flying for any man :blink:

Edited by Trans Lift

I would rather be flying too much and wishing I was not, than not flying enough and wishing that I was. You guys are living the dream. I understand very well that living the dream can be exhausting, but keep in mind, you could be exhausted from hard labor at a much less rewarding job.

• Like 2

While I agree in principle with

nightsta1ker

one truth about pilots is, there is a sweet spot for amount of hours flown in any given period of time, too much or too little, and pilots will complain. It's the nature of the beast.

Haha! Keep playing that violin. Someday you'll hand it off to another person and have them play it for you while your back is killing you, you can't sit down, you're exhausted, and you're faced with getting up tomorrow and doing it all over again. At the end of it, though, you will crack that first beer and kick your feet up you realize life is good, and that you can't wait to get back out there and start over.

• Like 2

Thanks for sharing the pictures. You took some awesome pictures of this awesome state we live in.

It sounds like some students get very valuable experience whether it be log time or not. Flying with extremely experienced pilots in various terrain.

Any experience in this industry is extremely valuable and can benefit from every opportunity. Flying at 14000 feet sounds awesome. I drove my truck to 14122 feet the other day, does that count?

I am looking forward to fly at high altitude some day when the time comes.

The pictures of the resorts are awesome, I appreciate those pictures being from the ski industry.

Good da