Rotorcraft Leasing Company

Hovergirl

• 3 weeks later...

There is a LOT of opinions here from no one that actually worked there. Well, I worked there and I enjoyed it. I keep in touch with the guys on my hitch and the new management seems to be well received and doing the right things.

Every company in the GOM has put helicopters in the GOM. RLC is not alone in having incidents. The company is full of great people that work really hard to do things right.

I found that most of the people that bad mouth RLC have no first hand experience and should keep their opinion to themselves.

One other thing, RLC's training program is outstanding. I work for the biggest EMS company there is....and the training at RLC is every bit as good; maybe even better in some aspects.

RLC is not so big, every one knows everyone, that is worth a lot to me.

Just my 2 cents

• Like 2

A bit off topic but still in the relm of jobs that work in the Gulf. I heard that RLC works 7 on 7 off or 14 on 14 off. But PHI works 5 on 2 off is that correct? They're both now hiring at 1000 total time, I suppose the biggest deciding factor other than a minor ammount of pay would be if a pilot was more willing to work for weekends off or 2 weeks off a month. If anyone could verify this I would appreciate it.

I have first hand experience with RLC, but I have not worked there for quite a while. I do work with people that have recently left. According to them, nothing has changed at all. Everybody may know everybody at RLC, but many of them you really wish you didn't know! Why is it important to know everyone? I don't think anyone has had a raise around there in years, either. RLC has an adequate training program, but "outstanding"? Really? You can do some time at RLC and leave for greener pastures, but you are better off waiting and getting on with a better operator. I have honestly not met a single pilot that has said they enjoyed their time at RLC.

Thanks Diver,

Originally I was looking for exactly that - first hand impressions from someone who had actually worked there. There's more than enough hearsay about every company out there, that's for sure. Maybe it's because RLC is so small, but unlike some of the other guys I don't know anyone who has worked there. Glad it was good for you.

It's been a little over a year since I left there. Since then they have cleaned house in upper management...which is where the root of the problems were. I will be the first to tell you that there were some VERY SHADY characters running that company; but it I believe they have all finally been ran off.

I will defend my statement about their training. I have been to the Bell factory school for the 206 so I can compare apples to apples. The biggest difference is at the factory you do every autorotation to the ground. At the factory you get 5 hours of flight time at RLC you get 20 hours before your check ride. That is a ton of training. Rember MOST of the new hires at RLC have little to no turbine experience so the learning curve is pretty steep.

They are not big and flashy like PHI or ERA and they have had their fair share of problems. But the bottom line is that the people at the bases are good hard working folks.

I also learned a lot there and I know I left there a better pilot.

Well... I can't say much for working there but I figured I would put this out there. I know a couple people that used to work there and had them send my resume in to the higher ups. I got a response back from the new HR director Ms. Hunt saying they were reviewing stuff. That's the last I heard. I've tried calling quite a few times and I've sent in a couple updates to my resume since I've gained about 75 hours since I originally sent something in and still nothing. I sent my new updated resume in again last Tues and tried to call this morning with still no response. Very frusterating! Oh, well, keep trying I guess.... It sounds like it's a company I'm not real interesting in working for anyway.

• 4 weeks later...

I worked for RLC for awhile. It was a positive experience. I'm glad I did it. It was a learning experience, and a stepping stone. I've since left for more money, and different aircraft experiences. RLC still has many good people working for them. They gave me my first turbine job.

I don't have experience with a large amount of companies. I can't say their training program is excellent, but there are aspects of theirs that is far superior to what some others offer.

No one is lying when they say RLC has had their share of issues. If maintenance makes you feel pressured, just remember no one forces you to fly an unsafe aircraft. To the people that say you'll get fired for refusing to fly, they're full of crap. If you are unsure, ask one of the old timers. They'll steer you straight. If you still feel pressured about flying something that isn't safe, call Mike Guidry. If you're right, I guarantee he'll have your back, and start handling it.

Best piece if advice I got from an older pilot working there when I started.

Don't be the only one flying, don't be the only one not flying.

Good Luck

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I worked for RLC for awhile. It was a positive experience. I'm glad I did it. It was a learning experience, and a stepping stone. I've since left for more money, and different aircraft experiences. RLC still has many good people working for them. They gave me my first turbine job.

I don't have experience with a large amount of companies. I can't say their training program is excellent, but there are aspects of theirs that is far superior to what some others offer.

No one is lying when they say RLC has had their share of issues. If maintenance makes you feel pressured, just remember no one forces you to fly an unsafe aircraft. To the people that say you'll get fired for refusing to fly, they're full of crap. If you are unsure, ask one of the old timers. They'll steer you straight. If you still feel pressured about flying something that isn't safe, call Mike Guidry. If you're right, I guarantee he'll have your back, and start handling it.

Best piece if advice I got from an older pilot working there when I started.

Don't be the only one flying, don't be the only one not flying.

Good Luck

How long did you work at RLC?

• 6 months later...

I have been working for RLC for a little over a year, and can honestly say they have been great to work for. The training was very good, although it could be more consistent between instructors. They have been hiring fairly steady the last year, and had the lowest pilot turnover in 2012 than any previous year before, which I think says a lot about the new management. Of the people that I talked to that left in the last year, non said that it was because RLC was a bad place to work, it was because they found jobs closer to home. I am glad that RLC gave me a chance, and as long as they contenue to do the things that they are doing, I don't see any reason to look elsewhere yet.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So for RLC at a minimum wants 1000 Total time 500PIC. From what I've seen trying to get on in the Gulf, they must have guys applying with well over those minimums. Does anyone know what it really takes to get on with them currently?

I'll be honest I've been trying to go the Gulf since I hit 1000, last year. Now I'm nearing 1500 and I still can't get an interview even with bi-weekly phone calls. Any clues?

• 7 months later...

I fly "Fox 44" ("Petroleum 408") out of ICY, and we share air space with the Mouton Cove RLC guys all the time. We all get along real well in the sky. The RLC guys try hard to keep it safe. Some foggy day, when we're all grounded, come and visit! Coffee is free.

The former RLC guys who come to us have often said:

1) that the RLC pilot group is quite a band of brothers. Close knit. They seem to miss their friendships. That's kind of cool.

2) PHI maintenance is drop dead AWESOME. But then I think everybody says that.

3) they also mostly say the RLC training department tries really hard. I have noticed that several times, that their guys are positive about their former instructors at RLC. That's pretty excellent

The biggest hurdle for RLC to overcome is a wide spread reputation, deserved or not, for sub standard maintenance. I have not worked for RLC, or done maintenance on their helos, so I offer no opinion either way. I hope they get that sorted out. We are kind of all in this together, and the image of the helicopter industry is critical. We are a service provider, and the customers are our bread and butter.