They can, and will. I have seen the results of 206 blades cutting through 230kv conductors and the pilot was able to continue flying the aircraft. You would have to be one lucky SOB though.

Agreed, i know of a 500 that cut a 1.5 inch wire and then landed under power right after, saw the blades and know the pilot well.

He hit them in a hard pulling turn after seeing the orange balls, one blade cut thru the wire.

One lucky SOB tho..

dp

I read this thread from the start, and didn't post right away to mull it over. I am so sorry to hear Sarah, about ADridge. I loved reading his posts. I will miss him, he had an influence he maybe wasn't aware of. I dread wires, one phrase I learned was "all roads have wires". Even in areas you are intimately familiar with, wires can appear overnight. I almost had a guaranteed wire strike back in the day. If I didn't have a rated pilot with me I almost certainly would have. I have nightmares about trying to climb out from underneath a maze of wires that seem to shift as I try to dodge them. I don't know how to think about wires apart from saying the wires are always there first. I hope you are able to endure his absence, and can find some peace and healing.

• Like 1

I have nightmares about trying to climb out from underneath a maze of wires that seem to shift as I try to dodge them.

Not to make this about "me" but, I too have this reoccurring nightmare. A feeling of a utter urgency to get the aircraft away from the surface only to look up to an unorganized web of wires. Sometimes I find a way through, other times I attempt to set it down after hovering radically only to ding the machine... A true nightmare.. Sorry to hear I'm not the only one.....

Edited by Spike
  • Like 1

Not to make this about "me" but, I too have this reoccurring nightmare. A feeling of a utter urgency to get the aircraft away from the surface only to look up to an unorganized web of wires. Sometimes I find a way through, other times I attempt to set it down after hovering radically only to ding the machine... A true nightmare.. Sorry to hear I'm not the only one.....

This is a common symptom of PTSD, which I have been diagnosed with a very mild case. I have had several close calls, including direct combat action which led to battle damage of my bird. The one recurring nightmare that I have however is calling the aircraft to the ground out the left gunners window at night in a brownout with goggles. I have this dream at least once a month and I wake up in a cold sweat. It was not the most terrifying thing I have experienced by any means, but I have that one dream again and again...

Some of they psych folks think that the mind actually experiences a kind of chemo-physical trauma when something frightening happens to you. It leaves a kind of mental scar that the unconsious mind stumbles upon repeatedly.

Obviously this has nothing to do with wires... But I do feel your pain.

The wire nightmare. I'm kinda relieved, or sorry, that I'm not the only one-

Somehow I missed seeing the wires and I've taken off into a regular spider web in that "dream".

Edited by Wally

The wire nightmare. I'm kinda relieved, or sorry, that I'm not the only one-

Somehow I missed seeing the wires and I've taken off into a regular spider web in that "dream".

I have had that same one too, either landing or taking off trying to get through web of wires without balling it up.

Guest pokey

I too have that 'flying thru wires dream' on a fairly regular basis. I have come very close in real life to hitting wires in both helicopter and airplane---i was always thinking that those experiences were the reason for the dream, now i think maybe not. One time in airplane, flying low down river, i came within inches of hitting a steel cable that the boaters used to tie onto ( yes i was about 15 feet above the water in airplane?) (no need to tell me how stupid that was--but ty anyhow) I had done that plenty of times B4, & knew the cable was there,,,, luckily the gal i was 'showing offf' to, at last second yelled : "WIRE" ! Luckily i was in an aerobatic plane and had plenty of airspeed,,, it allowed me to pull it vertical, she turned green on me & i dont think ever flew with me again. Another time in my helicopter, my old instructor was in with me & he was 'buzzing' his brothers house,,, last second i yelled : "WIRE" ! ! that wire he knew was there, but i didnt.

• 2 weeks later...

CRM at its finest. Even the girl you are showing off to can save your butt. I'll bet you never called her a dumb blonde again.

In all seriousness. We pilots will be alot more safe when we admit anyone on board has the potential to save the aircraft and while you maintain responsibility, thier input is valuable.

CRM at its finest. Even the girl you are showing off to can save your butt. I'll bet you never called her a dumb blonde again.

In all seriousness. We pilots will be alot more safe when we admit anyone on board has the potential to save the aircraft and while you maintain responsibility, thier input is valuable.

I always brief passengers that if they see something, an obstacle, wires, a bird, another aircraft, anything really, that they should speak up and make sure that I see it too.

• 1 month later...

It is late, but I just reviewed my copy of the wire strike environment video again. It brought back memories of this incident and the conversations. The same people that said the video had no value stated the same things that the video itself highlighted.... Odd, probably not, just old farts not being receptive to new ways of teaching, and not taking the time to review what they critique.

Great video in my un-experienced opinion.

Edited by gary-mike

I almost hit power lines my third night of flying Ag ops. I have 4 HID lights on my booms and its like daytime but I was relying on my eyes to see the lines to start my pull up over them, it was a hazy night and when I pulled up I was looking right at the power lines, I was able to go underneath but I leaned that night, always have a landmark to reference when getting close to power lines. I never wait for my eyes. I also like going under them more now because I scout the field and know how tall the lines are and if I'm 3 ft off the ground, I'm good. For me it's better to be on the ground going under them instead of having to fly a few feet over and dive into the field. . I learned quick that getting a corner that's all tied up just isn't worth is and the farmer understands we have limits.

Flying ia risky no matter what but we take the risks to live our dream. I hope Andrew felt the same way as I do, I'm so sorry for your loss, but I tell my girlfriend who flies and my family, just know if I die in a helicopter, I died the happiest man doing what I feel I was born to do and will never stop even if I won the lotto.

Flying sets pilots free.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Sorry for you loss Sarah.

I have been off VR for awhile due to lots of family issues. I got to hang out with Andrew at Heli Expo 10' in Houston for a short while. I really hate to hear this.

Regards,

Brad

It is late, but I just reviewed my copy of the wire strike environment video again. It brought back memories of this incident and the conversations. The same people that said the video had no value stated the same things that the video itself highlighted.... Odd, probably not, just old farts not being receptive to new ways of teaching, and not taking the time to review what they critique.

Great video in my un-experienced opinion.

Gary, if you are talking about the video made by the HAI/UAS/SCE two years ago the purpose of the video was to identify the need for training, the video itself isnt in-fact training other than raising awareness.

Agreed, i know of a 500 that cut a 1.5 inch wire and then landed under power right after, saw the blades and know the pilot well.

He hit them in a hard pulling turn after seeing the orange balls, one blade cut thru the wire.

One lucky SOB tho..

dp

Dennis, that pilot was extremely lucky. One point I made during my talk in Las Vegas was that 25% of the wire strike aircraft had wire strike protection installed. So having the equipment installed is not a cure all for wire strikes.

• Like 2

One point I made during my talk in Las Vegas was that 25% of the wire strike aircraft had wire strike protection installed. So having the equipment installed is not a cure all for wire strikes.

It rarely is! I wouldn't bet on any wire strike kit on my aircraft, even with a perfect strike that they are designed for. The main part I like about those kits is the reinforcing along the center spar of the windshield. At least it will help to deflect it upwards and not chop you in half!

I heard of the loss of Andrew a few months back and was reminded of it this week as a friend of mine was lost to a unfortunate wire strike in New York. He too was very young and is going to be sorely missed.

Thoughts and prayers out to Sarah and everybody in Andrews life, as well as everybody in Macs life and the Haverfield family. :(

• 2 weeks later...

For those who have been requesting a copy of my powerpoint, Lyn has posted it on justhelicopters. Here is the link.

http://www.justhelicopters.com/RESOURCES/Downloads/tabid/248/Default.aspx

It is under training aides. If you contact me directly, I will send you a copy of my presentation notes. Because of the safety threat that wires pose, I have no issues with others using this material. However, please give me some credit for it.