Are Flight Schools Doing Their Job

Are Flight Schools Doing Their Job  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Are schools doing a good job educating clients about life after training?

• No
    • Yes
    • Not sure

I did my cross country training without a GPS or a VOR. How do you find a road address?

I use google maps and print the satellite view to print a picture of the address. Plus look for major roads and building to make it easier to find the address.

And Oh yes I have had to fly low enough to read the road signs and mailbox numbers. Bit I try to avoid that as much as I can as some people tend to call the sheriff when they see a helicopter that low.

Edited by rick1128

I use google maps and print the satellite view to print a picture of the address. Plus look for major roads and building to make it easier to find the address.

And Oh yes I have had to fly low enough to read the road signs and mailbox numbers. Bit I try to avoid that as much as I can as some people tend to call the sheriff when they see a helicopter that low.

If the internet is available for using Google, then they may as well be able to use a GPS. For a real "no tech" navigation exersize, perhaps you should find the coordinates for the house and have them locate it that way?

I have never done any real work flying to an address. But I have been given GPS coordinates to a remote off airport site. I think the time training is better spent teaching them to properly use the GPS. Have them fly to a coordinate, and identify the LZ on the ground. Of course, there is no substitute for pilotage and dead reckoning.

Just my opinion.

I had done many flights where all I was given was an address. Many aviation GPS's can not take street addresses. Some Garmin handhelds can. Portable car GPS, can do it, but it is always recalculating and is a pain in the butt. And what happens if your helicopter doesn't have a GPS? Plus how many farmers/ranchers will give you their coordinantes when they call you for a flight? Darn few. Usually it is something like, I,m at 111111 FM1234 in BF town, Any State. It's a big white house with a even bigger red barn behind it. Like its the only big white house with a BIG red barn on that road.

The thing is at many schools, the students do their cross countries from one airport to another. In some states, with their land use laws many students do very few if ay real off airport landings. We fly helicopters. We don't need no stinking airports. Except that is usually where the fuel is.

Edited by rick1128