SIFT INFORMATION

It also depends on how much flight time you have. A few hours isn't going to really do much for your packet. However, I've had several CW4/CW5s say that my flight experience WILL help (I am a helicopter CFI). That said, I wouldn't go after a rating just to "improve" your packet.

Here's another juicy tidbit for all the hopefuls. While you're in flight school, you'll be afforded the opportunity to take a Military Equvalency Exam (I think that's what it's called but something close, at least) and once you get your wings and graduate with your advanced aircraft, you will be an instrument rated commertial helicopter pilot with license and everything. So, what civilians spend thousands upon thousands of dollars to get, you get it for less than two hundred bucks plus get paid the whole time you are in flight school. So, there's that.

Flight experience may help with WOFT selection and will definitely help for the first few weeks of flight school but then, your classmates catch up and everyone ends up on an even keel by the time aircraft selection rolls around.

On a more practical note, helicopter time is expensive. Ask anyone here that took the civilian route to get their license. The last thing you want is to be FQ-NS with another +$20,000 debt hanginig over your head. But, that's up to you, the individual.

• Like 1

Oh, and the licensing thing is not sponsored by the Army. It's something you do on your own time but the instructors here may (or may not) point you in the right direction. I figured I'd get that disclaimer out there. You take the test while in flight school and you get your license after graduation.

You can take the test at any point in time. I used google to find the test bank, studied the questions for a few hours, then walked in to the local FAA testing center. That was about 4 years after graduating flight school. Take the test results and a few other documents to any FSDO and walk out with a RW commercial/instrument license.

• Like 1

Took the SIFT today and got a 70. I didn't think the exam was too bad- all of the sections are very self explanatory. I don't think any section really requires any true studying except for the Army Aviation knowledge section. I'm an instrument rated private pilot with 700+ hours and I thought that section was tough. Most of the questions were specifically regarding not aviation in general, but helicopters specifically. Only way to study for that is to just read the AFAST study guides i'm assuming, but I never read any of them.

If you're a good test taker you'll probably do well, if you're a bad test taker you probably won't. This exam has very little to do with understanding the actual knowledge itself (besides the aviation knowledge section), but simply taking a diligent and disciplined approach to applying all of the common test taking strategies that you learn the hard way in college.

• Like 2

Took the SIFT today and got a 70. I didn't think the exam was too bad- all of the sections are very self explanatory. I don't think any section really requires any true studying except for the Army Aviation knowledge section. I'm an instrument rated private pilot with 700+ hours and I thought that section was tough. Most of the questions were specifically regarding not aviation in general, but helicopters specifically. Only way to study for that is to just read the AFAST study guides i'm assuming, but I never read any of them.

If you're a good test taker you'll probably do well, if you're a bad test taker you probably won't. This exam has very little to do with understanding the actual knowledge itself (besides the aviation knowledge section), but simply taking a diligent and disciplined approach to applying all of the common test taking strategies that you learn the hard way in college.

Congrats! will you make the active duty cutoff for the March board?

Congrats! will you make the active duty cutoff for the March board?

I hope so. My flight physical is tomorrow so it just depends if Rucker can get my stamped physical sent back quickly enough.

EDIT: Wait, you said active duty cutoff for the MARCH board? I thought that deadline had already passed and that the next board that I could apply to was the May 15 board with a packet submission deadline of March 15?

SIFT is primed and ready!... But I cant take it.

I have been trying to get on the books to take the SIFT for a couple months now only to find out that it is not being offered at MEPS yet. My recruiter thought I might be able to take it at the nearest army base (fort lewis) but apparently they will only offer it to enlisted personnel and not to civilians like myself.

Does anyone have any advice? Does anyone know when the SIFT will be offered at MEPS? Are there any civilians taking the SIFT anywhere yet?

All I have left to do is SIFT, flight physical, and interview and it's been that way since december. I am a first time poster. Thanks to everyone who has unknowingly helped me make it this far.

• Like 1

SIFT is primed and ready!... But I cant take it.

I have been trying to get on the books to take the SIFT for a couple months now only to find out that it is not being offered at MEPS yet. My recruiter thought I might be able to take it at the nearest army base (fort lewis) but apparently they will only offer it to enlisted personnel and not to civilians like myself.

Does anyone have any advice? Does anyone know when the SIFT will be offered at MEPS? Are there any civilians taking the SIFT anywhere yet?

All I have left to do is SIFT, flight physical, and interview and it's been that way since december. I am a first time poster. Thanks to everyone who has unknowingly helped me make it this far.

Where are you located? And unfortunately, MEPS doesn't have to have it active until the end of March now. There has been some software screw ups on the test (I experienced it) to where they have to restart the comp during the test. MEPS doesn't want to to have to deal with that!

If you are close to a military base, you need to all their education center. Dont leave it up to your recruiter.

He's in the Seattle area like me. I'm supposed to find out on Monday about the SIFT situation around here, and will post here in case there are any lurkers in the same area wondering the same thing. If it turns out we can't take the SIFT in Seattle until the end of March, I am going to get in my car and drive to a base that will let me take it--I don't care how far I have to go.

• Like 1

Going in monday to the education center on fort lewis to try and get some answers. I'd still love to know if any civilians are taking it anywhere. I'm with you Lindsey... I'd drive anywhere I had to especially if it meant turning in my packet during a time when there MAY be less civilian applicants out there due to the lack of testing. Less competition never hurts!

• Like 1

There are several civilians on here that have taken it at education centers on different Army bases - but none that I personally know of that have down it down at JBLM. That's great you are going to the source--let me know what you find out. Heck, if they refuse to let us take it there, let's carpool to the nearest base that will, and we can cram in some last-minute studying on the way.

• Like 1

Just an update...I sign my enlistment papers on Thursday. Since i was selected last year, but didn't accept, apparently there was some exception made, where because the same O's were on the USAREC board, they simply took the recommendation of my battalion board. I don't know - I got a call from my recruiter yesterday. Anyhow, I'm starting to get a little anxious.

Can anyone point me in a direction to a forum/thread with folks who will be heading to BCT soon?

• Like 2

Just an update...I sign my enlistment papers on Thursday. Since i was selected last year, but didn't accept, apparently there was some exception made, where because the same O's were on the USAREC board, they simply took the recommendation of my battalion board. I don't know - I got a call from my recruiter yesterday. Anyhow, I'm starting to get a little anxious.

Can anyone point me in a direction to a forum/thread with folks who will be heading to BCT soon?

Damn good deal!! That's exciting. Congrats (again). Check out the January selection board thread. I think a few of the civvies that got picked up are leaving in May-ish.

• Like 1

You can call colleges with ROTC. They are offering them to civilians

Not around here. Just spoke with all the ROTC colleges in western WA and none of them are administering it to civilians who aren't cadets.

Frequently Asked Questions about the SIFT

What does the SIFT measure?

The SIFT is a measure of multiple aptitudes. It assesses mathematical skills and aptitude, the ability to extract meaning from written passages, familiarity with mechanical concepts and simple machines, the ability to perform mental rotations to determine the orientation of aircraft in 3-dimensional space, and the ability to quickly recognize patterns within objects and groups of images. The SIFT also measures an examinee's knowledge of aviation terminology, familiarity with aircraft components and function, knowledge of basic aerodynamic principles, and a grasp of basic flight rules and regulations. Performance on this part of the battery can be improved by study, and examinees with aviation experience will typically do well.

All components of the SIFT have proven to be excellent predictors of training performance. That is, individuals who enter the flight program with high levels of cognitive aptitude and have background knowledge of aviation concepts are more likely to both achieve higher grades in aviation training and successfully complete the training program. By including multiple subtests that measure different constructs shown to predict success in aviation training, we can account for the more variance in training outcomes and help ensure that aviation programs make more efficient and accurate selection decisions.

How well does the SIFT predict training performance and attrition?

At present, the validity of the SIFT is still being assessed by Army personnel. However, similar test batteries used for aviation selection in the Navy and Air Force typically yield validity coefficients of approximately 0.40 between selection test scores and training performance (e.g., academic grades, flight grades). Validity coefficients range from 0 (the test does not predict grades in training at all) to 1 (the test predicts training grades perfectly). These validities compare favorably with industry selection testing standards. In addition, these tests have been a valuable resource for predicting attrition, or the student’s probability of completing aviation training.

How long does the SIFT take to administer?

Total time required to take the SIFT may vary from individual to individual. All together, checking in at the exam site, exam setup, an optional exam break, and completing the SIFT may take up to 3 hours, though many individuals can often complete the exam in approximately 2 hours.

What if I don't answer all of the questions on the test before time expires?

The time limits and number of questions for the SIFT subtests are as follows:

• Simple Drawings (SD) – 2 minutes, 100 questions
  • Hidden Figures (HF) – 5 minutes, 50 questions
  • Army Aviation Information Test (AAIT) – 30 minutes, 40 questions
  • Spatial Apperception Test (SAT) – 10 minutes, 25 questions
  • Reading Comprehension Test (RCT)– 30 minutes, 20 questions
  • Math Skills Test (MST) – 40 minutes, test length varies
  • Mechanical Comprehension Test (MCT) – 15 minutes, test length varies

The recommended strategies vary between different components of the test:

Simple Drawings and Hidden Figures: Work quickly and don’t guess. The SD and HF subtest scores are derived from the number of problems that you answer correctly, with a portion of the number of problems answered incorrectly being deducted from your score. In the majority of cases, examinees will not be able to answer all questions presented. Responding as quickly and as accurately as possible without randomly guessing as time is about to expire will, in most cases, work in the favor of the examinee.

Army Aviation Information Test, Spatial Apperception Test, and Reading Comprehension Test: Work quickly and guess at items you haven’t reached if time is about to expire. The AAIT, SAT, and RCT include a fixed number of questions for each subtest. On these subtests, any items left unanswered will be scored as incorrect. It is therefore to the examinee’s advantage to rule out poor answer choices on remaining questions and make educated guesses if time is about to expire.

Computer Adaptive Subtests (Math Skills Test and Mechanical Comprehension Test): Work quickly and don’t guess. Due to the nature of adaptive tests, the number and difficulty of questions presented to different examinees may vary on the MST and MCT. Scores generated by examinees who fail to complete a sufficient number of items on any SIFT adaptive subtest before time expires may have a penalty applied to their scores. Therefore, examinees are expected to work as briskly as possible without losing accuracy. The severity of the score penalty will increase as the number of questions answered decreases. This penalty will never be applied to scores on adaptive subtests that automatically terminate before time has expired.

On the adaptive subtests, examinees are advised against randomly guessing as time is about to expire. The current time limits for each subtest have been established to allow as many examinees as possible to finish the test without time expiring. If an examinee has worked diligently and quickly on a given subtest, random guessing will, in most cases, be more detrimental to scores than the penalty received for not completing the entire test.

Is there a paper-based version of the SIFT?

The SIFT is available only in a web-based format. The system is operated on a secure server that is monitored and controlled.

What are the current SIFT minimum score requirements?

The current minimum qualifying score to apply for the Army’s Aviation Program is 40 (possible scores range from 20 to 80, with a mean of 50 and standard deviation of 10). As the SIFT is validated, the minimum score may change to correspond with the Aviation Branch / U.S. Army Recruiting Commands’ accessions requirements. Contact your local education center for current information.

How will I find out my SIFT scores? Is there any way to find out my scores immediately?

Your results (pass or fail) will be generated immediately after completing the test. You will be instructed to see the Test Control Officer (TCO) / Test Examiner (TE) to obtain your score letter. The score letter must be signed by the TCO / TE to be valid.

How many times can I take the SIFT? Can I retake the SIFT to get a better score?

If you attain a passing, or minimum qualifying, score you are no longer authorized to retake the SIFT. Additionally, if you fail to attain a minimum qualifying score on your first attempt, you may retake the SIFT no earlier than the 181st day following the previous attempt. If you fail to attain a minimum qualifying score on your second attempt, you are no longer authorized to retake the SIFT and are not qualified for the Army’s Aviation Program.

Which subtests make the greatest contribution to my final SIFT score?

The formula utilized to compute your SIFT score is proprietary information and will not be released by APT. However, examinees should note that the formula used to calculate the SIFT score is compensatory, meaning that poor performance on a given subtest may often be offset by high performance on another. However, examinees are advised to perform as well as possible on all given subtests.

Where is the nearest SIFT testing location?

Locations that commonly administer the SIFT include:

• Post-servicing Education Centers
  • Military Entrance Processing Stations (MEPS)
  • Military Academies / ROTC Programs

You will need to schedule your SIFT exam at the location at which you intend to test. For military service members, contact your local servicing education center. For WOFT applicants, contact a recruiter for assistance in scheduling the SIFT.

What type of identification do I need to bring to the testing site?

You should bring some form of photo identification (i.e., driver's license, military ID card, passport) and verification of your social security number (i.e., social security card).

Is the SIFT offered in any language other than English?

No. At present, the SIFT is administered in English only.

How much does it cost to take the SIFT?

There is no charge to take the SIFT.

Can I use a calculator on the test?

No, the math problems on the exam are designed to be completed without the use of a calculator, but a few formulas are provided. Each examinee is provided scrap paper on which to compute problems.

What should I bring with me on the day of the test?

You will need to bring some form of photo identification (i.e., driver's license, military ID card, passport) and verification of your social security number (i.e., social security card).

Electronic devices (e.g., smart phones, cameras, etc.) are not permitted in the testing room. Examinees must stow these items in their automobiles or leave them with the exam proctor before proceeding into the testing room.

In addition, personal belongings (e.g., book bags) should not be brought into the testing room.

Paper and pencils will be supplied for you at the testing facility.

I have seen study guides for military aviation tests in bookstores. Would these guides help me study for the SIFT?

APT / OPFD does not endorse any commercial study guides, but the guides might be helpful for examinees who want to acquire testing strategies, review and practice math principles and problems, familiarize themselves with military history and aviation terminology, and practice pacing on timed tests.

Who can I contact if I have additional questions about the SIFT?

For any additional questions about the SIFT, please contact the Army Personnel Testing-Program Office at usarmy.knox.hrc.mbx.tagd-army-personnel-testing@mail.mil.

• Like 1

Already contacted the POC for the SIFT and he said that MEPS will be administering it "soon." I'd just like to get this knocked out ASAP though. I don't know if "soon" means March, end of April, etc and if other people have been taking it, there has got to be a way, somewhere. Just might have to travel.

Already contacted the POC for the SIFT and he said that MEPS will be administering it "soon." I'd just like to get this knocked out ASAP though. I don't know if "soon" means March, end of April, etc and if other people have been taking it, there has got to be a way, somewhere. Just might have to travel.

Did you use the same POC that i posted?